Do I need to take the PCAT if the schools I'm applying to doesn't require the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natty103

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying to pharmacy school when appilications open, my overall GPA is 2.8 & I have a total of 113 credits. I will be getting my bachelors by the end of the year. The particular schools I'm interested in does not require the PCAT do I still have to take it because my GPA is low? I have 3 more prerequisites classes to take but I will be taking 2 over the summer so I can apply in September or November. I do not have a D in any of my perequistes though or if I had one, I retook the class over to make sure that all my perequistes are a C or better.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is actually a lot lower than 2.8. When you retake a class, PharmCas will still count your original grade into your GPA along with the new grade. With your stats the PCAT is the only chance you have at making up for your grades so yes you should be signing up now.

Members don't see this ad :)
What the hell kind of pharmacy school doesn't require the PCAT??? I suggest you go to a real school (and definitely take the PCAT).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What the hell kind of pharmacy school doesn't require the PCAT??? I suggest you go to a real school (and definitely take the PCAT).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Pretty much all the California schools don't require the PCAT. This includes UCSF and UCSD. It's worth noting though, that UCSF will begin accepting PCAT scores next year.

Pretty much all the California schools don't require the PCAT. This includes UCSF and UCSD. It's worth noting though, that UCSF will begin accepting PCAT scores next year.

Your state is so damn weird. But anyway, I still think this person ought to take the PCAT. If you can't handle the PCAT, you probably won't be able to pass the boards either.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA is actually a lot lower than 2.8. When you retake a class, PharmCas will still count your original grade into your GPA along with the new grade. With your stats the PCAT is the only chance you have at making up for your grades so yes you should be signing up now.
The 2.8 is after taken the classes over so it includes the failing grades as well. I will register for the PCAT then, thanks

Your state is so damn weird. But anyway, I still think this person ought to take the PCAT. If you can't handle the PCAT, you probably won't be able to pass the boards either.
I tend to agree that students should have to take the PCAT since it's another way to help differentiate students, but I would argue that the majority of California pharmacists from the reputable schools do fine on the boards.

I tend to agree that students should have to take the PCAT since it's another way to help differentiate students, but I would argue that the majority of California pharmacists from the reputable schools do fine on the boards.

Oh, I'm sure they do! I'm just saying that if a person takes the PCAT and doesn't do well, that's probably a sign that they won't pass boards.

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm applying to pharmacy school when appilications open, my overall GPA is 2.8 & I have a total of 113 credits. I will be getting my bachelors by the end of the year. The particular schools I'm interested in does not require the PCAT do I still have to take it because my GPA is low? I have 3 more prerequisites classes to take but I will be taking 2 over the summer so I can apply in September or November. I do not have a D in any of my perequistes though or if I had one, I retook the class over to make sure that all my perequistes are a C or better.

You need to take the PCATs to give you the option to apply to other schools with that low of GPA... Also recognize that phorCAS GPA takes into account classes that you have retaken. Just because you retook a class the old grade doesn't disappear from the calculation and is averaged with the rest of them. Although there are so many new schools in California that they would take whatever GPAs come their way. Just because you can get into a school, doesn't mean you should go there. Look at the quality of the schools because you are paying the big bucks for it. In my opinion, you are better off finding a different career path than taking the risk of loans for an unknown school. It's better to go to a more established out of state school than a brand new school. I imagine that would still be difficult for you. #toughlove