Do I need to take the SAT or ACT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PetVet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently attending a community college in Texas and will be moving to Georgia in July. I won't be attending college again untill August, but I need to know if I need to take the SAT or ACT before moving.

I am planning on attending the University of Georgia, but if that doesn't pan out I will be attending Perimeter until I can aquire residency, that way its alot cheaper than paying out of state tuition and making the hour/hour-and-a-half drive there and back (to UGA).

Any advice would be great. I just don't know if I need to take the tests or not because I figured if I was already attending college there is no need to figure out how well I do on the test--because I've already proved I can do college work.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you know the school you are interested in attending, the best thing to do would be to get in contact with the admissions/transfer office people and ask them specifically.

Unfortunately you will need this test or tests anyway. The best bet is to check with each school to find out what their specific entrance requirements are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice Groominator and bclover. Would I have to take both the SAT and ACT, or just one? If just one, which one is better?

Thank you for your advice Groominator and bclover. Would I have to take both the SAT and ACT, or just one? If just one, which one is better?

Again probably better to check what the school prefers. It seems to be a regional thing. Where i live, no one even knows what the ACT is practically, no one ever takes it. In some regions of the country people seem to prefer it and take it as much as the SAT. You only need just one of them. So again might as well ask if the college has a preference. I think the SAT is sorta more widely recognized despite regionality.

As for which is better i have no idea. I took the old SAT, the last year that it was offered before they changed it. So i don't even know anything about that test anymore. I do know that the GRE is more or less an advanced version of the old SAT (plus that essay).

Thank you again Groominator. I just e-mailed UGA.

For what its worth, I never took the SAT/ACT. I applied to community college immediately after dropping out of high school, got in, then applied to my state university after getting my associate's degree. Got in no problem. I'd definitely ask UGA before taking a test you might not need.

I would take them both. When I was applying to undergrad, my state school only required the SATs but there were a lot of scholarships and grants that I wouldn't have qualified for without having ACT scores as well. If funding is a concern for you after getting in, it might be worthwhile to take both. You can always call the scholarship/financial aid office at the school you plan to attend and ask their opinion as well. Usually it's scholarships that would require one, the other, or both. Just my 2c!

I'd take them both if they're both accepted by UGA. Some people do better on SAT, some on the ACT. First time I took the SAT I got an 1110 where as the first time I took the ACT I got a 30, so I just kept my ACT score and moved on. But that might not work in every case, I don't know.

The ACT was the big thing here in Oklahoma, but the SAT was also acceptable. I suppose this spot in the middle here *motions to map of U.S.* would be the section that uses the ACT. Haha.

Lol. Nice twelvetigers. Thank you for all for your input.

Which test to take definitely depends on which test your school requires. I would recommend taking the SAT even if it is not required because it's good practice for the GRE, they are very similar.