Do I need to take the USMLE to apply for fellowships as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I will be starting my internal medicine residency at an ACGME accredited program as a DO graduate. I'm not sure if I want to pursue a fellowship just yet or stay as a hospitalist once my training is done, however if I do decide to pursue a fellowship, most likely it will have to be in california because of personal reasons, and only MD programs have fellowships available in this state, therefore does anyone know if I need to take the USMLE Step 2 and 3 to be considered or are the COMLEX steps enough? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I will be starting my internal medicine residency at an ACGME accredited program as a DO graduate. I'm not sure if I want to pursue a fellowship just yet or stay as a hospitalist once my training is done, however if I do decide to pursue a fellowship, most likely it will have to be in california because of personal reasons, and only MD programs have fellowships available in this state, therefore does anyone know if I need to take the USMLE Step 2 and 3 to be considered or are the COMLEX steps enough? thanks!

It will be program specific. But those who I know that went from AOA residencies to ACGME programs only had USMLE step 1 along with the COMLEX series.

You should be able to apply to an ACGME fellowship with only COMLEX scores.

You'll likely have more of an issue with coming from an AOA internal medicine residency and being limited to California in your fellowship search.

thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!