Do I need to update my Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RM48

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote my personal statement this April. Since then I went abroad to volunteer at a hospital for a month and ended an internship that I talk about in the present in the essay. Do you think that I need to change my essay to reflect this? I am hesitant about doing this because I worked hard to develop an essay I liked, and I don't want to rush and change it to have it ready for my application, which I am planning on sending out in the next few days. However, my time at the hospital was significant. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, some questions to ask yourself would be
1) was this experience very important to you personally, outside of the fact that you figured it'd benefit you in the application process?
2) can you speak about it eloquently w/o mangling your current PS?

If yes to both, then sure, work it in. As to whether you NEED to do this - no.

I wrote my personal statement this April. Since then I went abroad to volunteer at a hospital for a month and ended an internship that I talk about in the present in the essay. Do you think that I need to change my essay to reflect this? I am hesitant about doing this because I worked hard to develop an essay I liked, and I don't want to rush and change it to have it ready for my application, which I am planning on sending out in the next few days. However, my time at the hospital was significant. What do you guys think?

It was significant. Put it in your ECs. If you're really happy with your PS and it's gotten rave reviews from everyone who's seen it, you don't need to add anything.