Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do I need to volunteer? (non-trad with healthcare work experience)

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by psychtech, Aug 8, 2015.

1. psychtech

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#1 psychtech, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. W19

W19
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think you do... I had no volunteer experience as a RN when I applied.

3. ciestar

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Honestly, if you look into most school's mission statements, they want candidates with a dedication to service.
    So I would say having some non-clinical volunteering is important. Find a cause that matters to you. If you like animals, volunteer at the SPCA, tutor at the YMCA, etc. There's so much out there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    wholeheartedly and pageantry like this.
  4. popopopop

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You may or may not need to depending on your numbers and experiences. I wouldn't do it if it's such a hassle for you. I've gained so many residual benefits from volunteering and it's really steered me towards certain things I want to do in the future. The tasks I have at my volunteering spots are menial to me, but the philosophy of the organizations really pushes me forward. I understood the goal was much bigger than what I'm doing, but I felt great being able to contribute. I had to drive almost 2 hours round trip for one organization, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I still do it weekly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 popopopop, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  5. gothicfoxes

gothicfoxes MD & MPH goals
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    If you can find a few hours in your schedule to use to give back to your community, do it. If you're looking into psychiatry consider volunteering for a suicide hotline, crisis center, NSF event, or OOD walk.

6. wholeheartedly

Administrator 7+ Year Member

Volunteering and clinical experience are really two different components that people often kill with one stone. Most schools want to see some sort of community service type volunteering stuff. Youve got the clinical experience down I think, but if there's something outside of medicine that interests you like animal shelter, food bank, mentoring kids, etc a few hours a week I'd do that. If nothing else its a nice break from the hospital environment.

futuremdforme likes this.
  7. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Nope, your clinical bona-fides are excellent.

W19 likes this.
  8. W19

W19
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree. I had ZERO volunteer experience... I worked as a nurse for 7 years and I went to a couple interviews and no one asked me about any volunteer experience... They all asked me about my nursing experience.

cherubb3 and Goro like this.
  9. psychtech

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#9 psychtech, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016