do I really HAVE to study for COMLEX PE?? :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took both step 2 exams last week and I'm taking PE on 8/12. I have absolute inertia for studying. I got the FA checklists book (the pocket sized one) and I've looked at like 2 cases. I have never been so unmotivated to study in my entire life.

Can someone please tell me if it's a waste of time to study for the PE? Should I just let my inner demons win and blow the thing off, or should I buckle down this week?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need to study. Just use common sense from rotations and you should be fine...with a few other pointers.

Do OMM on anyone who mentions it in any way, but don't do any OMM techniques that they can nitpick you on as far as your technique or the steps involved. I did soft tissue, articulation, and some really basic muscle energy...that's all.

The other more basic stuff:
Wash your hands
Use the pt's name
Use your name
Be nice
They'll each have a question, make sure you answer it
CV, lungs, and abd exams on everyone
Drape the pt. They'll all be in a gown even if it doesn't make any sense with their CC.
The note format is SOAP, but you need to fit a whole H & P in that format.
Have some kind of differential dx in your assessment and have your plan match that. There isn't any single "right diagnosis" for each patient...they want to see that you have something logical. I tested with 2 friends and on a couple of patients our Ddx and plan widely varied, but we all had logical info in the SOAP note that led us to the Ddx and we all passed.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps.

Doubt you'll be failed for not using OMM. It is probably used by 0.0000000000000000000001% of DOs on even a semi-regular basis. First Aid for the Step II CS will serve you just fine, if you want to prepare for some likely patient encounters.

bigfrank said:
Doubt you'll be failed for not using OMM. It is probably used by 0.0000000000000000000001% of DOs on even a semi-regular basis. First Aid for the Step II CS will serve you just fine, if you want to prepare for some likely patient encounters.

Actually, OMM is a significant portion of the exam. You *will* fail just over OMM issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:
I don't think you need to study. Just use common sense from rotations and you should be fine...with a few other pointers.

Do OMM on anyone who mentions it in any way, but don't do any OMM techniques that they can nitpick you on as far as your technique or the steps involved. I did soft tissue, articulation, and some really basic muscle energy...that's all.

Wash your hands
Use the pt's name
Use your name
Be nice
Drape the pt. They'll all be in a gown even if it doesn't make any sense with their CC.
Have some kind of differential dx in your assessment and have your plan match that. There isn't any single "right diagnosis" for each patient...they want to see that you have something logical. I tested with 2 friends and on a couple of patients our Ddx and plan widely varied, but we all had logical info in the SOAP note that led us to the Ddx and we all passed.

Thanks so much!! That really helps. I am pretty comfortable with my manip, but that's good advice about using basic techniques. I think I'll just make sure I've got my few little manip cure-alls under my fingers, zip through that FA on the plane, and know that if anything, I know how to drape, answer questions, and be nice! :)

Thanks again.

bigfrank said:

I didn't know you were a D.O., Frank!

Interesting...never would have guessed it.

Well, since I plan to be one of that infintisimal number you quoted, I don't really care how many other people are using it, and apparently I need it for the test. But thanks for the input anyway.

DrMom said:

Wash your hands
Use the pt's name
Use your name
Be nice

really good info. do this and you'll pass.

sophiejane said:
Thanks so much!! That really helps. I am pretty comfortable with my manip, but that's good advice about using basic techniques. I think I'll just make sure I've got my few little manip cure-alls under my fingers, zip through that FA on the plane, and know that if anything, I know how to drape, answer questions, and be nice! :)

Thanks again.

Sophie,
Just be sure to get onto the NBOME website, watch the video, and be familiar with the SOAP note examples given. Other than that, don't waste your time studying too much. Try to go to GENO's and get a cheese steak in West Philly. ;)

After recently talking with someone who has been on AOA/NBOME committees dealing with this exam, I have one other helpful suggestion for this exam and another random bit of info.

Helpful suggestion: Before you leave the room, ask the patient if there is anything else that they feel you should know to better take care of them (or some similar open-ended question). I was told that some of the patient models will give you info you didn't specifically ask for if you pose a question like that.

Bit of FYI: I was told that you do get docked on OMM points if you avoid OMM techniques that are clearly indicated for a specific complaint (the big one being Spencer for shoulder pain). That means that if they dock you enough somewhere else, doing "generic" OMM like I suggested earlier could bite you in the butt. If you're concerned, it wouldn't take you long to review Spencer before taking the exam.

DrMom said:
After recently talking with someone who has been on AOA/NBOME committees dealing with this exam, I have one other helpful suggestion for this exam and another random bit of info.

Helpful suggestion: Before you leave the room, ask the patient if there is anything else that they feel you should know to better take care of them (or some similar open-ended question). I was told that some of the patient models will give you info you didn't specifically ask for if you pose a question like that.

I'm pretty sure I asked everyone if they had any questions for me...would that count? I think I asked a few if there was anything else going on with them that I didn't ask about, but didn't pose the question specifically like that.

As for manip...I royally screwed up my treatment on my very last patient--the setup was all wrong for the diagnosis. I was so tired and out of it by that point. Hope that didn't screw me. Otherwise, I felt like I did manip where called for. At least I hope I did.

sophiejane said:
I'm pretty sure I asked everyone if they had any questions for me...would that count? I think I asked a few if there was anything else going on with them that I didn't ask about, but didn't pose the question specifically like that.

I pretty much just asked them if there was anything else and if they had any other questions. I think the other phrasing would probably better fit what the NBOME and patient models would *like* to hear so that's why I passed it along.

Under what I was told, I'm sure I got docked for not doing Spencer. Doesn't matter if you're not losing too many OMM points elsewhere. I'm sure you're fine. :)

One other thing that was mentioned to me is that you actually have to do legit OMM even if it is just soft tissue--you can't do half-assed massage. ;) The patient models will mark you down.

i am convinced that i failed this exam. i took it 2 weeks ago 81/2 months pregnant with a horrific cold. alot of times i frogot to document the omm findings in my note and just wrote "OMT today" as opposed to writing the technique i did. i am really scared that the OMM part is where i am going to get docked. i had a few pts where i had to do omm and did a quasi real technique. every day that goes by i remember something else that i did wrong :(

I appreciate all of the info about the PE. I was wondering is anyone had any advice on the specific patient scenerios for this year? Is it all really common stuff that we will be able to form a differential for no problem? I am concerned b/c we only have 14 min w/ the pt (and have to do OMT in that time) and 9 min to write the SOAP note. That doesnt leave much time for brainstorming on a diagnosis....

They're common complaints so you should be able to come up with a basic differential. You have to sign a thing saying you won't discuss the specific cases, so you're not going to get details from us, but they are the types of things you commonly see in a FM office or ED.

Don't do any OMM that takes much time (you'll still have lots of options).

These model patients will be more efficient than your usual real patients at answering your H & P type questions, so that makes things move faster. They also usually don't have long histories, so that shortens things, too. And they actually know the names of their medications (if they're on any in the scenario).

sophiejane said:
I didn't know you were a D.O., Frank!

Interesting...never would have guessed it.

Well, since I plan to be one of that infintisimal number you quoted, I don't really care how many other people are using it, and apparently I need it for the test. But thanks for the input anyway.
I've been accused of worse. :)

Damn, I feel like a bad BAAAD osteopath, but I cannot for the life of me remember the correct sequence for the spencer technique. it's been awhile since I've used it. anyone got a quick refresher for me? I'd appreciate it thanks! :)