do i really need all of physics for mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booboo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do i really need to take all phyiscs before i take my mcats. is it possible to just study for physics by using the kaplan material and schaum's physics outline. Physics require alot of time and this quarter i didnt have any time at all. well Here is my schedule -----

winter (current) - chem 123 w/lab, bio 121 w/lab, phy 121 w/lab
spring - ochem w/lab, bio 122 w/lab
summer - ochem w/lab, bio 123 w/lab, kaplan prep course
fall 2005 - ochem w/lab, gentics, cell and molecular biology
spring 2006 - phy 122 w/lab and study for mcat

I will take my mcats in april (after spring quarter) -- what do you think about my schedule?

Also, do med schools see your grade upto spring quarter or summer quarter because iam trying to figure out how mnay quarter i got to bring up my gpa. Final questions, when applying online is it important to have all requirements done for med school. for example, i won't be done with the last quarter of physics when i apply

thanks for all your help :D

Members don't see this ad.

booboo said:
Do i really need to take all phyiscs before i take my mcats. is it possible to just study for physics by using the kaplan material and schaum's physics outline. Physics require alot of time and this quarter i didnt have any time at all. well Here is my schedule -----

winter (current) - chem 123 w/lab, bio 121 w/lab, phy 121 w/lab
spring - ochem w/lab, bio 122 w/lab
summer - ochem w/lab, bio 123 w/lab, kaplan prep course
fall 2005 - ochem w/lab, gentics, cell and molecular biology
spring 2006 - phy 122 w/lab and study for mcat

I will take my mcats in april (after spring quarter) -- what do you think about my schedule?

Also, do med schools see your grade upto spring quarter or summer quarter because iam trying to figure out how mnay quarter i got to bring up my gpa. Final questions, when applying online is it important to have all requirements done for med school. for example, i won't be done with the last quarter of physics when i apply

thanks for all your help :D

Schaum's Physics outline is very good. I have used it for mechanics (physics I) and so far has it has been a big help. Also, you can find hundreds of physics problems scattered throughout the net. The physics I did in school, I didn't learn anything in lectures or labs; what I did was go to the library, borrow the solutions manual (which is on reserve) and do as many of the problems as possible. The lectures are really a waste of time; stuff ppl could be teaching themselves. And the labs are repetitious. But doing physics problems on your own can actually be fun. Do maybe 1 or 2 hrs problem-solving a day? For the mechanics part in Schaum's, I was doing 1 chapter/2 days.

so you think its okay for me if i dont finish all my physics before taking mcat. Also wat about grade --

do med schools see your grade upto spring quarter or summer quarter because iam trying to figure out how mnay quarter i got to bring up my gpa. Final questions, when applying online is it important to have all requirements done for med school. for example, i won't be done with the last quarter of physics when i apply

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i will give it a try. I do learn in class but majority of the time, i always end up learning on my own. also, do i need to finish all of physics before i start my application process?

No. It is possible to get accepted before completing all prereqs.just be sure to finish them before med school.

booboo said:
do i need to finish all of physics before i start my application process?

booboo said:
so you think its okay for me if i dont finish all my physics before taking mcat. Also wat about grade --

You should know everything on the MCAT syllabus. If you can teach yourself whats on the syllabus before taking MCAT, without taking the class, then you should do that. But like I said before... taking the class doesn't mean you'll become an expert overnight. What the class does is provide structure; you have to learn the material within a certain timeframe. The level of difficulty is questionable; my professor curves the tests, which is good for me gradewise, but not much else. Grade - get the best grade you can, as always.

do med schools see your grade upto spring quarter or summer quarter because iam trying to figure out how mnay quarter i got to bring up my gpa. Final questions, when applying online is it important to have all requirements done for med school. for example, i won't be done with the last quarter of physics when i apply

I don't know these things, sorry.

when you hit the submit button AMCAS will only have completed grades that were verified by transcripts. classes currently in progress or planned to be taken will NOT be figured into your grade for that application cycle.

booboo said:
do med schools see your grade upto spring quarter or summer quarter because iam trying to figure out how mnay quarter i got to bring up my gpa.

stoleyerscrubz said:
when you hit the submit button AMCAS will only have completed grades that were verified by transcripts. classes currently in progress or planned to be taken will NOT be figured into your grade for that application cycle.
But can you not 'update' your application after you're done with the class? I thought you could...

you can update your application as much as you want but AMCAS will not send out your application untill ALL transcripts are in.

If you want to include a summer 2006 grade in your application you will need to complete the course and get the transcripts verified by AMCAS.

You are free to update your prospective schools with grades. not sure what the policies are on that.

Tinker Creek said:
But can you not 'update' your application after you're done with the class? I thought you could...

so basically the final transcript that you send to AMCAS is the one that med schools will see.