Do I really need to bother with this? Easy class vs. possible research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I've finished all my post bacc requirements (and then some) I realized that 2 out of 24 schools I'm applying to require calc. I tried to just sign up for calc but couldn't... I missed the math placement tests due to travel and work, and I've only taken enough math prereq's to qualify me for pre-calc.

Initially, I figured I'd take pre-calc this semester and then calc next semester if necessary since I might have a better feel of whether I'm likely to go to either of those schools. But now, I'm wondering if my time might be better spent. The one most glaringly lacking area of my application is that I have NO research. I could easily facilatate this, but it would be a lot easier without the class. I also have 2 jobs and a family, so I do want to spend SOME time with them before disappearing into the library for 4 years!!

I calculated it out, and getting an A in this silly 3-credit class meant for freshman would boost my GPA a whopping..... 0.02. My total sGPA including undergrad is 3.45 but post-bacc is 3.65, and most of my sciences are post-bacc. I just wonder how necessary it is... would I be better off just reviewing pre-calc this semester so I can ace the placement test and sign up for calc next semester if the situation calls for it? I'm starting to feel like I've beaten this post-bacc thing into the ground and wonder if taking pre-calc will generate a resounding "so what?" from the adcoms when research could be a lot more useful.

(If helpful, I have a strong MCAT score and tons of clinical experience.)

Edit: oops, I should also state I have a patchy history in math classes.

Stats: B
College Algebra C+
Biostats:A
Physics: all A's

MCAT PS: 12. So an upward trend, but patchy history nonetheless. I had a little too much fun in the way-back days of undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the will-power and dedication to review pre-calc on your own then I would suggest going that route. You can usually learn it faster outside of class. If you need the structure of the class to force you to study then enroll in pre-calc.

Another option is asking the professor if you can sit in on his pre-calc class as a review. Most profs don't mind this and that way you get the review without the homework and tests, and obligation to show up for each lecture. But then again, if you're sitting in then you may as well get credit for it. I'm talking in circles here.

I'm sitting in on a physics class to review for the MCAT and the only reason I'm not actually enrolled in it is because it has a mandatory lab. I'm so over taking another lab and really don't want the stress of weekly homeworks, exams, and the like. I could use the 0.03 boost in BCMP GPA, or any boost for that matter, but it's not worth the stress for me.

Overall, research would probably be better for you than a 0.02 boost since it'd be something to talk about in interviews. So unless you feel like you can't do it on your own, review during the semester and take the placement exam instead.

Do you have a good shot at getting into those 2 schools and do you really want to go there?

If so, take the class, if not, don't apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already applied to those specific schools? Most med schools require you to have taken your pre-reqs before matriculation, so you could wait and see if you even get any invites from the two schools. Then, you could take a spring or summer calc course before you matriculate (if you get in!).

Hmm, all really good points. I'm really wondering if an A in a class you can literally take junior year of high school (!) is all that impressive anyway. Actually I was mistaken, it would be a 0.03 GPA boost for me, from 3.63 to 3.66. But this wouldn't be evident until the end of the semester of course, at which point I may have either gotten interviews or not gotten them, ya know?

Plus, $1500+ for 3 credits?! Wat. It sure wouldn't hurt me to pick up some extra shifts and earn some cash flow before I return to starving student status instead of piddling around in a 100-level class. I would also be missing tons of class because of work, travel, re-certifications, etc, which could actually adversely affect my grade due to missed quizzes that aren't allowed to be rescheduled.

The schools that want calc in the first place are Harvard and University of Uniformed Services. I would love to go to Harvard even though of course it's a reach, and as for USUHS, I'm not crazy about the idea of joining the military but would gladly do it if that was my only portal into medical school.

Last edited: