Do I stand a chance at acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labrynth79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently joined this forum, and I want to say how amazing it is! I also wanted to ask for some infomral imput from people - and I am open to criticism! So, my breakdown is this: 3.33 science, 3.68 other, 3.47 overall. MCAT scores in august 2000 were V9,P10,B10, Writing sample Q and I wanted to increase my verbal score so in april 2001 took it again and got V8, P11, B10, Writing Q. Obviously the verbal went down, which sucked. :(

My low science gpa comes from my first two years of school (i go to berkeley) when i didn't focus and study well. but my next two years improved a lot. i am doubling in biology/anthro and did some good extracurriculars, i think. so, where do you think i stand? should i be worried about my scores and gpa? Please help me- I am genuinely concerned! everyone i know has over a 3.6 in science, and 30+ MCAT! I tried to stand out a little bit in my application, and focused some on my anthropology honors thesis- i am studying Maya hieroglyphics- and on my biochemistry honors thesis- i got a National Science Foundation fellowship this year/summer to do it. So, where do you honestly think i stand? I know top 10, or even top 25 may be out of the question, but it is always nice to get some feedback. Thanks! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I would say not top 10...top 25 possibly... somehwere yes...this year will be much harder for you thuough...cuz it's going to be a big numbers game...are you in berkeley right now?
If so, a few of us are trying to get everyone together to help everyone out with secondaries...
I think that anthro thing will help you out a lot...definitely focus on that making you a unique applicant...I don't know how you could stand anthro..i sat in for anthro 3 for the first few weeks of class and it was the WORST class I ever listened to at Berkeley...just boring as hell..
but whatever knocks your boots...

I love anthro, and Mayan heiroglypics rock!
You're going to be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•I would say not top 10...top 25 possibly... somehwere yes...this year will be much harder for you thuough...cuz it's going to be a big numbers game...are you in berkeley right now?
If so, a few of us are trying to get everyone together to help everyone out with secondaries...
I think that anthro thing will help you out a lot...definitely focus on that making you a unique applicant...I don't know how you could stand anthro..i sat in for anthro 3 for the first few weeks of class and it was the WORST class I ever listened to at Berkeley...just boring as hell..
but whatever knocks your boots...•

Thanks ScoobyDoo for your input. Yeah, i'm in berkeley right now- one more semester left! (doing the 4.5 year thing). double majoring came fairly late in the game - i was actually a chemistry major for the first 1.5 years, and then switched into MCB. This is where my low science GPA comes from! Though i took chem 4 series, chem 112 series and loved it, the "B" grades didn't help too much!

Actually, i don't like the lower division classes very much. The only reason i got into anthro in the first place was b/c i took the intro to archaeology class and the professor was great! completely different than any science class i have taken, and it was soooo easy and i did well. took some more anthro classes and the A's kept coming. but i never really got into physical/biological and cultural/social anthro. . . they kinda bored me. however, if you ever can, try taking the medical anthropology course. i took it last semester and it was incredibly interesting- i learned a lot about asian healing practices!

So, top 25 possibly? I really don't expect myself to get very many interviews, and i really really doubted top 25 at all. i'm kinda freaking out. if worse comes to worse, i'll go to st. george's in the caribbeans. my brother had to go there (incredibly low verbal score) but is back here doing residence at the university of missouri in internal medicine - so it was a happy ending for him :) thanks for your input!

Hey Scooby. Sorry I never update you on the application support group I mentioned. My friend who started this group is still working on his AMCAS application, and has been busy studying for the MCAT. Let me e-mail you our original plan. As soon as I get hold of my friend and get ready for the group, I'll post a message here too.

Originally posted by SMW:
•I love anthro, and Mayan heiroglypics rock!
You're going to be fine!•

Hey, thanks SMW for your belief in me. right now i just feel insecure, which is not something i particularly enjoy!

Would anyone else have any more input on my question?

Sorry if I sounded flip. I really think you'll get in somewhere. Lots of people do with numbers like yours, and Berkeley is known for its hard grading, so schools will take that into consideration. If your essays, experiences, and interviews are good, I have no doubt you'll get some offers.

Thanks for your support SMW. I didn't think you sounded "flip" at all. :)

Right now I am in the throws of secondaries, and I am going mental. . . too busy to even think about my scores anymore! Could they have been at least spaced out a little better!? dear god.

Hi labrynth79,

I had nearly identical numbers that you did and I got in off the alternate lists to two pretty decent schools, one of which was a UC. The number of interviews I had is pretty good considering about 3 schools I applied to lost my secondary materials and transcripts held up my applications. Anyways, I would definitely focus on how you are a unique person. Your numbers run about the average so you have to do this. I took some time off after graduation to try two different jobs and thus had considerable more life experiences that helped. I also had some pretty good rec. letters.

Good Luck,
wyldstyle2000

Originally posted by wyldstyle2000:
•Hi labrynth79,

I had nearly identical numbers that you did and I got in off the alternate lists to two pretty decent schools, one of which was a UC. The number of interviews I had is pretty good considering about 3 schools I applied to lost my secondary materials and transcripts held up my applications. Anyways, I would definitely focus on how you are a unique person. Your numbers run about the average so you have to do this. I took some time off after graduation to try two different jobs and thus had considerable more life experiences that helped. I also had some pretty good rec. letters.

Good Luck,
wyldstyle2000•

Thanks for your input, wyldstyle2000! That was very inspirational and I really appreciated your response. :)