Do I stand a chance for my school of choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MI4966

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
I just took my Pcat for the first time (2 -3 weeks prep). I needed some advice if I stand a chance in my number one choice of school.
My Pcat scores:
Bio- 91
Chem-66
Quant-48
Critical reading-38 (bombed as I panicked) even though English is my second language but I am good at it. In my high school (outside USA) I topped in English & was awarded by the governor of state. I took Toefl and my score was 103/115

Composite score: 64 ( no plans of retake because I have a course overload in Fall + part time job + a 3 year old beautiful daughter to take care of)

I am a foreign medical graduate, but I took all the pre requisites all over again because none of my medical school course compensated for the pre reqs ( both science & non science)
My current gpa is 3.89 but some of the courses are pending for fall & spring ( organic, phys, calculus& English & humanities). So practically I am taking all the courses again.
My Med school Gpa was 3.3 with no grade lower than a B. I also have 1yr of clinical experience as a Resident Doctor Outside USA.I have worked on a research paper too on burns care.
I have been living in USA since 2011(citizen) & have worked part time as a Care giver since then ( 5 years).With in USA I have done 2 externships under MD doctors; one of them was Medical Director of the hospital and he gave me a stellar LOR. I have volunteered under 3 different PA's but NOT under a pharmacist. ( total >500 hours)
I have done community service too at my local center.( 2 months).
I am an Illinois resident and my schools of choice for this cycle are:
1)UIC Chicago ( website says Pcat above 70 is competitive )
2)Midwestern University
3)university of Minnesota
4)Rosalind Franklin ( Pcat above 55 competitive)
5)Chicago state university
6)Roosvelt ( Pcat of 40) --- this is my last choice

Kindly let me know what do u guys think of my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your extracurriculars will look amazing on the application. However, if you want to get into one of the top 3 schools you mentioned, I think you should retake the PCAT to at least get a 75th composite to look competitive in that area. You might get into one of the last 3 schools you mentioned if you decide to not take the PCAT. : )

Hi ,
I just took my Pcat for the first time (2 -3 weeks prep). I needed some advice if I stand a chance in my number one choice of school.
My Pcat scores:
Bio- 91
Chem-66
Quant-48
Critical reading-38 (bombed as I panicked) even though English is my second language but I am good at it. In my high school (outside USA) I topped in English & was awarded by the governor of state. I took Toefl and my score was 103/115

Composite score: 64 ( no plans of retake because I have a course overload in Fall + part time job + a 3 year old beautiful daughter to take care of)

I am a foreign medical graduate, but I took all the pre requisites all over again because none of my medical school course compensated for the pre reqs ( both science & non science)
My current gpa is 3.89 but some of the courses are pending for fall & spring ( organic, phys, calculus& English & humanities). So practically I am taking all the courses again.
My Med school Gpa was 3.3 with no grade lower than a B. I also have 1yr of clinical experience as a Resident Doctor Outside USA.I have worked on a research paper too on burns care.
I have been living in USA since 2011(citizen) & have worked part time as a Care giver since then ( 5 years).With in USA I have done 2 externships under MD doctors; one of them was Medical Director of the hospital and he gave me a stellar LOR. I have volunteered under 3 different PA's but NOT under a pharmacist. ( total >500 hours)
I have done community service too at my local center.( 2 months).
I am an Illinois resident and my schools of choice for this cycle are:
1)UIC Chicago ( website says Pcat above 70 is competitive )
2)Midwestern University
3)university of Minnesota
4)Rosalind Franklin ( Pcat above 55 competitive)
5)Chicago state university
6)Roosvelt ( Pcat of 40) --- this is my last choice

Kindly let me know what do u guys think of my chances?

I'm just curious, why don't you practice medicine in the U.S. Instead of going for pharmacy?

I'm just curious, why don't you practice medicine in the U.S. Instead of going for pharmacy?
I did my medical school from a country where pharmacy isn't considered a good career choice for women. High level Medicines and drugs with side effects are easily available at drug store without prescription. I was a good student then & wanted to go in health care. The best option I had to become a doctor. All my siblings studied medicine over there but after moving here in USA only one sticked to it as a career AS we had a lot to explore.
I am pursuing pharmacy , my brother is in DO school, one sister did Mba in health care & one is a practicing MD.

Your extracurriculars will look amazing on the application. However, if you want to get into one of the top 3 schools you mentioned, I think you should retake the PCAT to at least get a 75th composite to look competitive in that area. You might get into one of the last 3 schools you mentioned if you decide to not take the PCAT. : )
Thanks for your reply:)