Medical Do I stand a chance for top 50 schools - strong upward trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i know you guys must get a lot of these questions, but i need to know where I stand. I promise im not one of those kids who has one or 2 really good things about their application but still want to ask WAMC anyways. Heres what i have so far:

- I will graduate in December 2019 versus May 2019 (when i traditionally should've graduated. I did this because i switched from a BCH to biology major so i could take more science classes to boost my sGPA. I will apply to med schools Spring 2020
- 3.62 sGPA, 3.65 cGPA
- upward trend in GPA (last 3 semesters all 3.9 GPA or above)
- 525 MCAT

STAINS ON ACADEMIC RECORD:
- academic probation 1st sem of Fresh year (1.9 gpa)
- F in intro chem lab (retook this)
- D+ in biostats (Retook for an A)
- D+ in psychology (Retook for an A)

My entire junior year i had to do a non-academic withdrawal due to severe mental health issues. Have a great upward trend since then with all A's or A-'s. Have gotten my health in check.

ECs:
- 200 shadowing hours
- 400+ clinical volunteering
- 400 nonclinical volunteering
- 1 year of research, no pubs.

- 1 leadership position in honors pre-med club during undergrad
- continued project for helping underserved children in India (project has been continuing since soph year of high school)

passion for oil painting and art - heavy involvement. I've done a lot involving this hobby and i know i can very passionately write about and talk about this in my apps.

I would really like to know my chances in general for any medical school, but especially "top" schools. I understand that mostly, only pre-meds place so much importance on "top" schools, but i want to know my chances. I would be absolutely honored and very happy to get into ANY medical school, but i want to apply broadly and spread my chances. I know Duke university looks more favorably upon reinvention relative to other schools, but i was wondering if you guys have any input on how competitive i would be for any top 25 medical schools? Thanks so much for reading my post:) Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!
Well, in the Top 50, there are probably some 75 schools. Ask five people to define them and you'll get six different responses.

Despite your GPAs being at ~the 10th %ile for most of the Really Top Schools, you have a massive rising GPA trend, and that always helps.

I suggest:
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
Mayo
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Baylor
Case
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
U MI
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy
USF Morsani
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
Your state schools

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of screening stats, your redemption in your most recent coursework should help. The schools that won't overlook your freshman year are probably not good programs to apply to. To that end, how you address your maturity and empathy will be important in how far I think you will go. How have you worked with others with similar issues that you overcame? How have you adjusted to those who are not sympathetic to your past problems?

would you have any advice on addressing this? I know i should answer them honestly but i know saying i had mental health issues isn't accepted even though i made up for my grades later on and fixed my mindset about school.
Briefly,
1) as you said, answer honestly.
2) get mock interview feedback
3) I gave you two questions in my post which you didn't notice to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.