Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in my 5th/last quarter at UC Davis and have a 4.0 overall gpa (biochemistry and molecular biology major). I spent three years at a community college before transferring to Davis. I was working 32 hours/ week while at community college so I wound up transferring with a 3.36 gpa. I'm also a 1st generation student and an URM. I was a biology/chem tutor and had a great personal statement so I got into all the UC's. Im just worried about how I did in my science classes while at jc. My overall college gpa is a 3.61
Here are my science grades at JC:

Calc 1: A
Calc 2: A
Calc 3: B

Bio 101a: B
Bio101B: B

Gen Chem 1: A
Gen Chem 2: C

Phys 1: C
Phys 2: A

Ochem 1: B
Ochem 2: B

I do have a positive grade trend.. I guess living on my own/not working made it really easy for me to focus and hone into my grades. My extra curriculars are 1 year of volunteering at a local student-run clinic, 200 hours of volunteering at an e.r. and 6 months of research. I plan on taking 1-2 gap years so that I can add on more ec's and study the mcat. I'll be taking the MCAT in the fall and hope to score in the mid 30's at least (scored a 34 on my practice exam w/o any devoted MCAT studying) . Do I stand a chance of getting into a U.S. Med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in my 5th/last quarter at UC Davis and have a 4.0 overall gpa (biochemistry and molecular biology major). I spent three years at a community college before transferring to Davis. I was working 32 hours/ week while at community college so I wound up transferring with a 3.36 gpa. I'm also a 1st generation student and an URM. I was a biology/chem tutor and had a great personal statement so I got into all the UC's. Im just worried about how I did in my science classes while at jc. My overall college gpa is a 3.61
Here are my science grades at JC:

Calc 1: A
Calc 2: A
Calc 3: B

Bio 101a: B
Bio101B: B

Gen Chem 1: A
Gen Chem 2: C

Phys 1: C
Phys 2: A

Ochem 1: B
Ochem 2: B

I do have a positive grade trend.. I guess living on my own/not working made it really easy for me to focus and hone into my grades. My extra curriculars are 1 year of volunteering at a local student-run clinic, 200 hours of volunteering at an e.r. and 6 months of research. I plan on taking 1-2 gap years so that I can add on more ec's and study the mcat. I'll be taking the MCAT in the fall and hope to score in the mid 30's at least (scored a 34 on my practice exam w/o any devoted MCAT studying) . Do I stand a chance of getting into a U.S. Med school?
What is your BCPM GPA? Do you have an AMCAS calculator to make the calculation easier? While you're at it, also include your predicated future grades for math and science so we can see your probable application stats.

I actually used the amcad calculator last night. My overall bc gpa is a 3.602 and my overall college gpa is a 3.619. My overall gpa and bcpm gpa at uc Davis are both 4.0's. I plan on graduating after this quarter. My projected grades for this quarter are hopefully a 4.0 as well. After this quarter, my overall
Overall bcpm should be a 3.621 and my overall college gpa should be a 3.627.

I hope to score a mid 30's on the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken quite a bit of biochem classes. I've taken: pchem(1 quarter ), function of bio molecules, metabolism, cell biology, microbiology, physiology, genetics, advanced molecular biology, enzyme kinetics, and macromolecular structure/function. I'm currently taking the second quarter of pchem and a molecular biology lab course. I've also taken insect behavioral ecology and insect biodiversity (entomology for bcpm). I speak fluent farsi as well as some Spanish

Last edited:
Such a science-heavy curriculum will be considered very favorably and more than makes up for the less-shiny CC performance.

You might work on developing your Spanish skills during your gap years, as many schools in your general region would look on this capability favorably.