Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOhopeful

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a brief summary: 3.0 GPA, 3.1 Science GPA from competitive school. Post bac GPA 3.0 Overall (2.7 first semester when i got sick at finals and 3.4 next semester). 30 on MCAT. Good letters of recommendation and plenty of volunteer, clinical, and research experience. Would it be a waste of my time to apply to osteopathic schools? (fingers crossed). I have filled out the paperwork but have debated sending it out (too scared of rejections).

Members don't see this ad.

Good grief!

Why did you wait? Send them out immediately!

Granted your GPA isn't terrific, but its not all that bad either. What is important is your 30 MCAT score. That's an excellent score for an Osteopathic school and it should land you an acceptance. Unfortunately its getting late in the game now so you better hurry up and get those apps rolling!

W.

you never know unless you try. a rejection won't kill you, it will only make you stronger (but it's doubtful that you would be rejected). good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
How about this case: 6V/7P/7B O on Writing sample 3.4 GPA, 3.5 Sci GPA, good letters of recommendation from physician and profs, plenty of research volunteer work. My MCAT scores stink, do you think I have a chance?

Only if you have a good explanation of why your science GPA and MCAT scores aren't more congruent (poor test taker? Was sick? not enough prep?). I'd beef up and take it again, but I wouldn't discourage you from shooting towards a few schools this round and see what it gets you.