Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bill W

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm new to this forum, and I want your opinions on something that has no doubt been requested by many others. My friggin' chances of being admitted. Let me give you my case, then decide. I apologize for the length of this, but if you have the time to read it & comment, please do.

First, the numbers. My overall gpa is 2.72. My science gpa is 3.44. My dat scores are 19 academic/19 pat.

An explanation of my low overall gpa is simple and in order. When I started school way back in '90 I didn't do so well. It was because I spent more time doing the fun things that college life offers, not frequently focusing on the academics. This went on in an off & on basis for seven years. Some of those semesters(5 or 6) I wasn't enrolled as a student.

My transcript contains, all from my "lost years", 12 F's(a couple changed administratively after a year where there was no report, a couple of U's in pass/fail classes(which are tatamount to an f), one WF, and, get this, 22 withdrawals. All of these, every single one, was a result of not attending the class, not lack of ability. It was unmitigated, irresponsiblity. I make no excuse for it. In hindsight, I could have at least dropped those F classes for a W, so as to not destroy my gpa. I did manage to do some good academic work in classes that I actually went to. I even had 78 hours of credit before I decided to become a good student.

Anyway, I finally decided that, at 27, playtime was over. Better late than never. The past three years I have done very well. My gpa was 3.4, my sci gpa 3.44. I have no withdrawals or bad grades. Fortunately, I had no science grades to speak of from my early years, unless math & psych count, in which case there will be an A, B & F. As I said, my dat is 19/19. I have shadowed several dentists totalling hundreds of hours, volunteered at a local hospital's dental clinic, too. I also feel that my recommendations are good. Certainly, dentistry wasn't something that I just decided on when I decided to be a decent student. It, along with many careers, had always held my interest since high school. After being around the profession through shadowing & volunteer work, seeing the intricacies of it, I knew I had found my calling.

If you would like to give me your comments on my chances, what I should do if I don't get in this time around, I'd appreciate it. You can respond to the list or email me it you'd like. Thanks for your time & good luck to all.

-Bill

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I think you should'nt have too much difficulty getting interviews. The rest depends on how well u explain to the admissions committee your low grades in your initial college years. An advantage you have is the time that has lapsed between your bad grades and the fact that you've clearly demonstrated your ability as indicated by your recent gpa. Also your DAT score is competitive as is your science gpa. Good luck!

There's always a chance, if you want it you'll accomplish anything. Like hunk22 said, you probably have a good chance getting an interview. I have friends who have lower stats than you that got interviews. Good luck... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know. You could be screwed however. Where did you do your undergrad & pre-reqs. Your original undergrad does sound a bit atrocious. I'd speak with a dental admissions advisor.

dont worry, due to the time that has elapsed between u're current state and undergrade, i would'nt worry about it coz u've proved yourself in recent years plus you're DAT scores are competitive. Infact, i would be impressed with the way u turned things around for yourself. I can guarantee that u'll get interviews.