Apr 6, 2010
Status
My cGPA is around 3.58 ish. As for MCAT, I am taking it this June and aim for a 33 ish. Assuming that I have a 3.58 GPA and a 33 on MCAT with limited ECs, what are my chances?

ECs:
Going to volunteer at a hospital this summer.
Currently doing research with a professor
Some volunteer activities during freshmen year
Most worked (work study program) during my sophomore year.

I am an Asian FYI

Side Activities:
Spent a year investing in stock market (as a way to cultivate my interest in business field)
Part time jobs during summer of Fresh and Soph year to pay for tuition

Other than that, that's pretty much it, do I stand a chance at all?

Last edited:

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
As you said, your ECs are limited--very much so. You need some exposure to physicians and patients.

Which state are you a resident of? Are you an underrepresented minority?

Apr 6, 2010
Status
I am a resident of Maryland and I am an Asian. As for Clinical-Patient experience, that's what I am aiming for accomplishing this summer. By volunteering at a hospital. So, other than that, does that mean my chances are pretty slim?

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
From what you've written, the numbers you project would make you competitive for some schools, but your experiences are too weak to attract adcomm interest.

The average applicant seems to have about 1.5 years of clinical experience (can be acquired at work, volunteer, for class credit, or with clinical research), 60-80 hours of physician shadowing, and a year of research. A good applicant will also have some of nonmedical/noncampus community service (essential if clinical experience is not via volunteerism), leadership, or teaching.

Don't waste your money applying this coming season. Your experiences look like you just decided to go into medicine and haven't bothered testing the vocation through various activities.

ThaliaNox

10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Honestly, if you get a 33, you'll likely get through the numbers screening, but in admissions today ECs are so important, and you really don't have any significant ones. I would sit out this season and volunteer, continue with research and shadow at least one doctor. Also, your cumulative GPA is a 3.58, but what is your science GPA? If it is below a 3.5, you're in an even tougher position.

IDoIt4Love

Breathe...just believe.
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
a quickly available and easy thing to add to your application before you need to submit your AMCAS this June is some shadowing. try to shadow a doctor (you could even ask your own doctor if you can shadow him/her) and get a good number of hours in (I'd say 40+). assuming the other E.C.s you listed are quite substantial (is your research being submitted for publication? were any of your part-time jobs or volunteering gigs clinical?) and that you really do end up pulling off a 33 on your MCAT, I'd say you have a chance. Just apply early and broadly(and not too top-heavy!), and write some really strong essays (a career adviser at your school could help you with that if writing isn't your strong suit). Very strong LORs from the people you did your E.C.s with would help, too.

are you a URM or from a disadvantaged background, btw? that would definitely help your chances, big time.

Mar 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Your experiences look like you just decided to go into medicine and haven't bothered testing the vocation through various activities.
This. Volunteering at a hospital just for a summer won't really cut it. I'd suggest that you wait another year, volunteer extensively, get clinical experience.

Also, what is your science GPA? For medical schools BCPM GPA is more important that the cumulative.

Apr 6, 2010
Status
my Science GPA is around 3.58 as well. Thanks for all those advices. I guess I am taking a year off after all to gain some clinical experience and squeeze more EC into my resume.

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
See if you can find a scribe-type job. We have those down here, and I've heard it's great experience. If you can form a good relationship with a physician (or physicians) you kill two birds with one stone--clinical exposure and potential letter of recommendation.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
like everyone else said you'll need clinical experience if you plan to apply this coming cycle. if you plan though to wait a year then it's good that you're planning to start gaining clinical experience this summer. the reason why starting in the summer won't help you otherwise is b/c no weight is really given to activities you list as planning to do versus actually having done.