Do I stay in the class or withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoadingMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up everyone,
First I thought I would explain a little about myself and what my short term as well as my long term goals are. My short term goal is to get into Nursing school and eventually get my nursing degree. I would like to move back up North and get the heck out of this horrible state Georgia. My long term goal is honestly to become a Nurse Practitioner and I understand that some people like to debate MD's, NP's & PA's but this is not what I am looking to do.

The reason I am posting this question is cause I have had a pretty bad start to my freshman year and I am terrified about my GPA. During this summer semester I decided to take Anatomy and Physiology part one along with Medical Terminology. The medical terminology was a piece of cake due to me being an EMT previously. Ended up with a 97% in that class and now I am just waiting for the teacher to finalize everything so he can send it to the school and I receive that A. The anatomy and physiology class is what I am having issues in not cause its a hard class but due to my circumstances outside of school. When the semester first started I was working full-time as a firefighter and even though I was studying I had to focus on finding swaps as well just to make sure I had the day off to go to the class. I can't begin to tell you how many times someone at worked screwed me last minute. Long story short I had a high B in the class and then the night before my third exam I got called into work and I had to make the choice to either stay into the class or resign from my job. The reason for this is cause it would of been my second absence and it would of put my on academic probation. So at the time being that I am 23 years old I figured I needed this job so I sent the email to the school to withdraw from the class cause I had till 12 that night to do so. Next day at work after withdrawing from the class, my job terminated me at 1 pm. So I drove all the way back to the school to try and get back into the class which he did let me back in my I am starting to think it was a bad choice. That exam I missed I had to take that day late at night but at the same time I had to take lecture 4 exam day later. I only got low 70's on those tests cause I did not have any time to study. This lowered my grade to a low C now and i'm really upset cause my grade does not resemble how much I know in the class which pisses me off. Not only did I lose my job and this got in the way of my studying but my Grandpa came down with Alzheimer's, my uncle died, I have to help around the house constantly all day everyday and on top of that I came down with a heart problem for a couple weeks that did not exactly prevent me from studying but kept me from studying the amount I wanted. When my Uncle died I ended up in New York for two weeks and I am usually in the hospital with my Grandpa about twice a week cause he falls a lot and faints.

The issue I am having is I only have four days left to study for my final exam in lecture and lab. In lab I need to know all the muscles of the body, the skeleton and skull bones, the parts of a sheep brain, Cow eye and parts of the ear. This is only for the lab and then on top of all that I need to know the lecture material as well. Its not hard but only four days to study is what makes it hard. I am not sure if it would just be smart to withdraw from this class and do it over cause I am thinking I would receive a Withdraw Passing. I am just so worried about my GPA and this class is three credits. On top of that this class is one of the main classes the nursing school looks at and if they see a C that will not be good. The only way for me to get a low B in the lecture is to basically ace the exam which is hard cause I don't have that amount of time to study right now.

What would you guys do? Stay in the class and see what happens and then retake the class or just withdraw and receive a WP? I'm trying to protect my GPA as much as possible.

I hope this did not sound like I was just trying to make excuses for myself cause thats not the case. I understand its all on me to know this material and master it. I just wish certain life circumstances did not happen as they did at this time.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Whats up everyone,
First I thought I would explain a little about myself and what my short term as well as my long term goals are. My short term goal is to get into Nursing school and eventually get my nursing degree. I would like to move back up North and get the heck out of this horrible state Georgia. My long term goal is honestly to become a Nurse Practitioner and I understand that some people like to debate MD's, NP's & PA's but this is not what I am looking to do.

The reason I am posting this question is cause I have had a pretty bad start to my freshman year and I am terrified about my GPA. During this summer semester I decided to take Anatomy and Physiology part one along with Medical Terminology. The medical terminology was a piece of cake due to me being an EMT previously. Ended up with a 97% in that class and now I am just waiting for the teacher to finalize everything so he can send it to the school and I receive that A. The anatomy and physiology class is what I am having issues in not cause its a hard class but due to my circumstances outside of school. When the semester first started I was working full-time as a firefighter and even though I was studying I had to focus on finding swaps as well just to make sure I had the day off to go to the class. I can't begin to tell you how many times someone at worked screwed me last minute. Long story short I had a high B in the class and then the night before my third exam I got called into work and I had to make the choice to either stay into the class or resign from my job. The reason for this is cause it would of been my second absence and it would of put my on academic probation. So at the time being that I am 23 years old I figured I needed this job so I sent the email to the school to withdraw from the class cause I had till 12 that night to do so. Next day at work after withdrawing from the class, my job terminated me at 1 pm. So I drove all the way back to the school to try and get back into the class which he did let me back in my I am starting to think it was a bad choice. That exam I missed I had to take that day late at night but at the same time I had to take lecture 4 exam day later. I only got low 70's on those tests cause I did not have any time to study. This lowered my grade to a low C now and i'm really upset cause my grade does not resemble how much I know in the class which pisses me off. Not only did I lose my job and this got in the way of my studying but my Grandpa came down with Alzheimer's, my uncle died, I have to help around the house constantly all day everyday and on top of that I came down with a heart problem for a couple weeks that did not exactly prevent me from studying but kept me from studying the amount I wanted. When my Uncle died I ended up in New York for two weeks and I am usually in the hospital with my Grandpa about twice a week cause he falls a lot and faints.

The issue I am having is I only have four days left to study for my final exam in lecture and lab. In lab I need to know all the muscles of the body, the skeleton and skull bones, the parts of a sheep brain, Cow eye and parts of the ear. This is only for the lab and then on top of all that I need to know the lecture material as well. Its not hard but only four days to study is what makes it hard. I am not sure if it would just be smart to withdraw from this class and do it over cause I am thinking I would receive a Withdraw Passing. I am just so worried about my GPA and this class is three credits. On top of that this class is one of the main classes the nursing school looks at and if they see a C that will not be good. The only way for me to get a low B in the lecture is to basically ace the exam which is hard cause I don't have that amount of time to study right now.

What would you guys do? Stay in the class and see what happens and then retake the class or just withdraw and receive a WP? I'm trying to protect my GPA as much as possible.

I hope this did not sound like I was just trying to make excuses for myself cause thats not the case. I understand its all on me to know this material and master it. I just wish certain life circumstances did not happen as they did at this time.

Thanks
If your ultimate goal is to be a nurse, then a nurse practitioner, why are you posting in a pre-MD forum where the expertise for how to get into nursing school will be harder to find?

Try here instead: Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]

Last edited:
If your ultimate goal is to be a nurse, then a nurse practitioner, why are you posting in a pre-MD forum where the expertise for how to get into nursing school will be harder to find?

Try here instead: Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]

Thank you sir. I will do that and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Reactions: 1 user