Dec 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all, I'm currently an undergraduate student in PA. I was hoping you all could look at my stats and give me advice about my chances at MD or DO school and advice on the next steps I have to take
STATS:
chem 1: A
calc 1: c+
calc 2: b- (retook twice, old grades F, D)
orgo 1: c (retook once, old grade c-)
orgo 2: c
Bio 1: c (reetook once, old grade c-)
Bio 2: b+ (retook once, old grade c)
physics 1: b-
physics 2: b+
Higher biology electives: Genetics (A), Ecology (A), Cell Structure and Function(A)
GPA: 3.01
MCAT: (not taken)
and a semester of research
plus volunteering at hospital (100+ hours)
What are my chances? and what are the next steps i should take?

Thank you this is much appreciated!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Upon retakes, your grades are less than steller. I do not think you'd make a competitive candidate for DO programs, and you have no chance at MD schools. You should be getting B+s and A in those re-takes.

Suggest that if you're truely serious about medical chool, that you take a post-bac or SMP to prove to AdComs like me that you can handle medical school.

Hi all, I'm currently an undergraduate student in PA. I was hoping you all could look at my stats and give me advice about my chances at MD or DO school and advice on the next steps I have to take
STATS:
Higher biology electives: Genetics (A), Ecology (A), Cell Structure and Function(A)

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
STATS:

1) Do you know what your AACOMAS GPAs are? If not, this might help:
DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

2) What came first, the retakes or the upper-level Bio A grades? Any more upper-level Bio or Biochem planned?

3) Any plan for shadowing or nonmedical community service? Any teaching or leadership?

IMDoc607

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
STATS:

I don't see you as a competitive applicant for MD or DO schools. Sorry but its the truth. I know many people are afraid of the carribean but if you really want to be a doctor apply to one of them.

IMDoc607

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
1) Do you know what your AACOMAS GPAs are? If not, this might help:
DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

2) What came first, the retakes or the upper-level Bio A grades? Any more upper-level Bio or Biochem planned?

3) Any plan for shadowing or nonmedical community service? Any teaching or leadership?

Even with retakes, he isn't going to cut it for an osteopathic medical school.

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
If your overall and science GPA's are indeed > 3.0 with the grade replacements, a 27 should get you in somewhere. There are people in pre-DO with ~3.0/27, all with 3-4+ interviews and at least 1 acceptance.

Example: 3.13/2.90/27. Applied this year, 4 interviews with 2 acceptances thus far.

There are even people with 3.3/22 and 3.7/3.5/21 that have gotten in. If you can make a 27 (honestly, probably even less) on the mcat you will be fine.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
If your overall and science GPA's are indeed > 3.0 with the grade replacements, a 27 should get you in somewhere. There are people in pre-DO with ~3.0/27, all with 3-4+ interviews and at least 1 acceptance.

Example: 3.13/2.90/27. Applied this year, 4 interviews with 2 acceptances thus far.

There are even people with 3.3/22 and 3.7/3.5/21 that have gotten in. If you can make a 27 (honestly, probably even less) on the mcat you will be fine.
Looking at OP grades, I think OP sGPA is 3.0+. I agree with your assessment. My friend got into DO this cycle with 3.1 c/sGPA and 20 MCAT, but he is a URM (AA) with above average ECs. OP will be fine with 27+ MCAT.