Do I Still Have A Chance For MD or DO-Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused 20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My statistics are as follows:
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Large State University
Graduated Magna Cum Laude with an overall GPA of 3.847
Major GPA: 3.914
Science GPA: 3.838 (3.767 without grade forgiveness)

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
Volunteer at local hospital Same Day Surgery Department - 955 hours
Research Assistant at University Health Center Genetics Lab - 213 hours
Research Assistant for Poeciliine Gonopodium Project - 1 semester
Research Assistant for Multi-Component Evaluation Project - 2 summers
Research Assistant for The Asian red seaweed Project - 1 summer
Biology Tutor - 1 semester
Member of Premedical Society - 1 year
Volunteer at local Soup Kitchen - 2 years

ACCOLADES/ACHIEVEMENTS
Capital Scholarship winner
Dean's List - 7 occasions
Honor's Note - Economics
New England Scholar - 3 occasions
National Merit Scholar Honor Club Member
Golden Key Honor Club Member
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Club Member
Excellence in Biology Award - 2007

EMPLOYMENT
5/07-present Certified Nursing Assistant

MCAT 1st attempt - 07X
MCAT 2nd attempt - May 2012
Dismissed From Caribbean Medical School

I will be taking the MCAT in May 2012 and hope to apply in June 2012 if I perform well. If I were to score a 30 or above on the MCAT, would it be worthwhile to apply to MD and DO schools or is the fact that I scored so poorly on my 1st attempt at the MCAT coupled with the fact that I was dismissed from a Caribbean medical school forever prevent me from gaining entrance in to an American Medical University? What score, if any, on the MCAT will make me competitive for gaining entrance in to a United States school? What, if anything, must I do with regard to my extracurriculars to be more competitive.

Any input will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This belongs in the reapplicant forum..mods?

Assuming you are not trolling, I'm going to be honest with you and your odds are almost zip. You got dismissed from a school-of-last resort. The odds of a US school taking a chance on you are frankly one in a million.

How you got all the honors & grades you list and got a 7 on the MCAT I'm not sure since that implies you basically guessed on every question. No Adcom is going to believe any MCAT score you did get that was 20+; and the dismissal is a no-go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quoted from another one of OP's threads:
Given the fact that the school informed me that I would be allowed to matriculate no matter what score I achieved on the MCAT in addition with the fact that I was informed about the MCAT requirement on such short notice and had not taken Physics as well as the fact that I had not time whatsoever to study for the exam, I just randomly filled in answers and wrote nothing for the essays as I completed the test in a few minutes. As I expected, I earned an incredibly low score.

Taking a 2-minute stroll through OP's posting history reveals a lot about this applicant. I think there are much bigger issues to resolve than gaining admission to a medical school (again), issues that will require more help than this forum can ever offer.

I always wondered about the <10 scores I see on the mcat distribution tables. Now I know where they come from.

Why did you get dismissed from a Carrib med school?

OP, you had a good shot at becoming a US MD student with all those things under your belt, but you chose to go to SABA. I'm thinking they dismissed you because of finances? You wrote about issues regarding that in other threads.

I don't know if your chances are zero, but you definitely have a red flag on you. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the end of the road for you.