Do I still have a chance for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spongeman7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore second semester now, with a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.1 sGPA. I have been very involved in extracurriculars, research, volunteering, and clinical activity. Unfortunately however, as you can see, my GPA is not very good, and not nearly competitive for MD. I am just now beginning my second semester of sophomore year, so do you think I still have a chance to get into a low tier MD? Even if I took a gap year? I’m attempting to get better study habits as I studied a lot before, but I guess I didn’t really study “smart” as they say and just studied long. Further, I have not yet taken the MCAT, am a NY resident, and an ORM. Thank you for your input in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 3.0 entering sophomore year, 3.35 entering junior year, and a 3.55 entering senior year. I've gotten some decent luck this semester so no you are not out of the running.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently a sophomore second semester now, with a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.1 sGPA. I have been very involved in extracurriculars, research, volunteering, and clinical activity. Unfortunately however, as you can see, my GPA is not very good, and not nearly competitive for MD. I am just now beginning my second semester of sophomore year, so do you think I still have a chance to get into a low tier MD? Even if I took a gap year? I’m attempting to get better study habits as I studied a lot before, but I guess I didn’t really study “smart” as they say and just studied long. Further, I have not yet taken the MCAT, am a NY resident, and an ORM. Thank you for your input in advance!
Plenty of time to improve. You need to start aceing things though.

Start by going to your school's learning or education center.

Do not over extend yourself. All the ec’s in the world will not save a dismal GPA. You have time, but rethink your strategy. Protect that GPA. Also if you are a Florida resident apply to all Florida schools