Do I still have a chance in mid-tier programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WingedDragon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently go to a state school in the north east. My first 2 years of med school were all passes (As and mostly Bs). I had failed my step 1 but after retaking it I got a 216. During my IM rotation in 3rd year, a family member had passed away for which I had to take time off. My grades in 3rd year were: Passes in IM, Ob/Gyn, and Family Medicine, High Passes in Surgery, Psychology, and Neurosience. I took my Step 2 back in October and received a score of 224 on the first attempt and then passed the CS that I took a week later. So I had technically just started my 4th year in November. I've done my AI and all other mandatory 4th year classes which have all been either Honors or High Passes for me. I will also have 3 articles published in a pulmonary journal by this October.

I know I have SEVERELY limited my choices, especially after failing my Step 1. and I know I don't have a chance in programs like Mt. Sinai or NYU or Johns Hopkins, but is there still a possibility of getting into a good mid-tier program? I plan on applying to every state in the Northeast. Can anyone recommend programs to look into for this coming application cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can get a Mid tier IM program in the NE just apply broadly

You're not in as bad shape as you think. I agree, a solid mid-tier is well within your reach. Def apply broadly, to a lot of programs, and a good mix of reach places, mid and low tier places. You basically have a great app besides your one hiccup on step1. For safeties, apply to some solid community programs that have in house fellowships you're interested in. You're gonna do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should be fine, just look up school match list in past 4-5 years, and apply to those hospitals. I would apply to a couple of community IM programs, and FM residency just as a backup.
If you can, try to get a couple more 4th year honor before July/August 2015.

You should look at my post in the match thread. You have a higher Step 1 score than I did so maybe you will get through some filters (210 or 215) that I didn't. However, I did improve a lot on CK and people noticed that. Otherwise I think our apps are pretty similar. Don't expect the research to help you *too* much unless you have first author in a high impact journal. At the end of the day, research is all peripheral "icing on the cake" kind of stuff. If you can't get through the initial filter, the research doesn't mean anything because no one will look deeply into your app. Also, the reputation of your school may matter more than you think. I really recommend looking at the last 3-5 years of your school's match list and once you know your class rank apply to the schools that fit that rank in terms of your IM matches (say if you are second or third quartile, then look at the middle of your school's IM matches) - those are probably the best bets. Outside of the applicants applying with super high scores who can go all over the country, regional links/connections your school has already made through faculty/fellow cross-pollination and past residents matters more than you might think.

If you're looking Northeast, here are some thoughts you should definitely look into:
NH/VT/MA/RI: Vermont, Dartmouth?, BU, Tufts, UMass, Brown
CT/NY/NJ: UConn, Albany Med, NYU, Montefiore, NSLIJ, Stony Brook, Downstate, NJSM, RWJ
PA/MD/DC: Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Maryland, GWU, Georgetown

I'm sure I'm missing a few (I didn't apply that heavily to the northeast), and if you have the $ and inclination you can always add "reaches" - you only go through it once and with apps with lower scores anything could happen. I matched at a solidly mid-tier academic program with an abysmal Step 1 so I think you can do the same. Also, personally I would add 1-3 community programs just to be really safe. You can look at your school's list for suggestions - there's a lot of really poor community programs in NYC though so I'd look out for them.

If you're looking Northeast, here are some thoughts you should definitely look into:
NH/VT/MA/RI: Vermont, Dartmouth?, BU, Tufts, UMass, Brown
CT/NY/NJ: UConn, Albany Med, NYU, Montefiore, NSLIJ, Stony Brook, Downstate, NJSM, RWJ
PA/MD/DC: Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Maryland, GWU, Georgetown

I have bolded the programs above that you actually have a chance at. The rest you should consider as reaches, particularly those in the big cities. Add 10-20 community programs if you're only applying to the NE. Otherwise focus on university programs in undesirable locations.

Reactions: 1 users