Do I still have a chance of going to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impalalily1224

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very new to this site. In regards to being a member. But I have done a lot of research and read tons of posts. However, I still feel a bit overwhelmed. I always wanted to be a doctor and go to medical school. It has been my life time dream like many of you. I was always a great student. I never had a bad GPA. However that changed rather quickly. During my freshman year of university I was a 3.0 student my Sophmore year my mother was very sick (she was diagnosed with breast cancer) it really affected me. I also had to take over for my mothers work (which is a home business) working over 40 hours a week while being a full time student in order to help keep us a float through the hard times. As a result my GPA that year was horrible I received F's in 2 Bio courses and just really messed up. And had 2 Ws. After that I had a 2.2GPA. I worked really hard after that to repair and graduated with a 2.6GPA overall. I was depressed and I cried a lot. I am a first generation student I am doing the best I can to navagate through this. I recently enrolled in a non-traditional post-bacc program for three years. I know I have what it takes and I am in a good place to stay focused fully without working such hard hours or being exposed to too much distractions. I know that I can get A's in all my courses. I have very great study habits. My question is do I still have a chance to apply to a MD schools like University of Maryland MS or UC Davis MS....etc.? Please help me . Thank you so much for your time.

P.S. My mom totally kicked cancers butt and she is completely cancer free now. I am so proud of her :).
Sorry for the lengthy post

If you have any tips or tricks to give in order to be an awesome post-bacc student it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Oh and one of those W's I retook and received an A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MD, probably not. However, depending on how many units you have now, if you're willing to take a lot of classes to bring the GPA up, there's a slim possibility. You'd have to calculate that out, lots of GPA calcs online.

Another, probably more feasible option is DO. Look into DO grade replacement. Lots of threads and resources online for that info too.

Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @DrMikeP. Find out what osteopathic medicine is all about and take advantage of grade replacement. Pursuing MD would take you several years to repair your academic record and even then admission into allopathic schools is still not guaranteed.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not boost the GPA first?
GPA is generally not repairable in the MD side of things especially when you have so many credits. For the the MD the F and retake of A, get averaged into a C. For the DO application that grade would be an A even on the retake. That is a huge jump from a 4 credit C course to a 4 credit A course. Think about that when you have any where from 2-10 classes that need retaken. The MD behind your name just may not be reachable. Been there.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry hoping on the thread but I need advice/help!

Im a recent first-generation graduate who has decided on going to medical school. My science GPA is quite low 2.57 and my overall GPA is a 2.97. I've looked at pre-reqs for schools and I have C+/-'s in 4 of the courses (genetics, ochem 1, bio 2, biochem) and the rest of my pre-reqs are B's.
I still have more prereqs to take (entire physics sequence, ochem 2) and I was going to add a few more classes in to boost my GPA (A&P sequence, Micro, Sociology) and retake Genetics which I made a C- in. Along with that, I plan on starting my MCAT studies in December in order to take the exam in July. I recently found an OBGYN to serve as my mentor, and she is offering me a part-time MA position at her clinic with training since she knows I have a lot of courses to take during this gap year

What are my odds looking like so far for medical school? I'm definitely looking into the DO route, but is MD still possible? I know I have to make all A's which i'm ready for, but does this all seem attainable within the next year? I know i'll have to sacrifice a lot of free time, but I also didn't take advantage of the time I had in undergrad by working hard, so I know I have to do it now.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sorry hoping on the thread but I need advice/help!

Im a recent first-generation graduate who has decided on going to medical school. My science GPA is quite low 2.57 and my overall GPA is a 2.97. I've looked at pre-reqs for schools and I have C+/-'s in 4 of the courses (genetics, ochem 1, bio 2, biochem) and the rest of my pre-reqs are B's.
I still have more prereqs to take (entire physics sequence, ochem 2) and I was going to add a few more classes in to boost my GPA (A&P sequence, Micro, Sociology) and retake Genetics which I made a C- in. Along with that, I plan on starting my MCAT studies in December in order to take the exam in July. I recently found an OBGYN to serve as my mentor, and she is offering me a part-time MA position at her clinic with training since she knows I have a lot of courses to take during this gap year

What are my odds looking like so far for medical school? I'm definitely looking into the DO route, but is MD still possible? I know I have to make all A's which i'm ready for, but does this all seem attainable within the next year? I know i'll have to sacrifice a lot of free time, but I also didn't take advantage of the time I had in undergrad by working hard, so I know I have to do it now.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

MD will likely take several years and maybe a special postbac or SMP and even then no guarantees. So it may be possible but not probable. Do some reading on the Under 3.0 thread and Dr Midwife's posts.

DO will mean retakes but is more possible/realistic if you retake C's and lower. Retake the foundations before continuing. You need to figure out why ur a B/C student and fix that if possible. People too often assume that they can go from being a B/C to an A student. It's actually sometimes easier to go from an F goof off to an A student than an average student to an A student.

Good luck

MD will likely take several years and maybe a special postbac or SMP and even then no guarantees. So it may be possible but not probable. Do some reading on the Under 3.0 thread and Dr Midwife's posts.

DO will mean retakes but is more possible/realistic if you retake C's and lower. Retake the foundations before continuing. You need to figure out why ur a B/C student and fix that if possible. People too often assume that they can go from being a B/C to an A student. It's actually sometimes easier to go from an F goof off to an A student than an average student to an A student.

Good luck

Thank you DrMikeP! Your advice was realistic and spot on! I definitely need to evaluate what is making me a B/C student, and what I would have to do to become that A student.