Do I still have a chance? (Plagiarism IA and my plan)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeeSin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am sorry to say that an IA for plagiarism is a big deal that will seriously harm your chances at admission. Recall that 60% of applicants are not admitted, so there are too many good candidates without an IA on their record. Your best chance would be to develop an excellent application (grades, MCAT and ECs), put years and years between you and the incident, and do your best to demonstrate that you’ve learned from your mistake. I wish you well in that process.

Reactions: 9 users
I agree. You have to put several years between you and the IA for plagiarism. This particular offense is a very difficult thing for you to overcome. I think it sounds like you might have a good start on building a history of remorse and reinvention but you have to keep it up. Only time will tell if you can somehow end this on a positive note.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I want to make this as brief as possible, to not waste anyone's time for reading.

I cheated. Specifically, I plagiarized. Biology lab last year.So the spring quarter of my 2nd year (I'm now a third-year). Long story short, I referenced a friend's lab report and turns out the mind is more powerful than I thought because I unintentionally (meaning I didn't get their lab report to copy) structured it similarly, and took phrases here and there, which..... is plagiarism. 100% cut and dry. I guess by telling myself that I didn't want to plagiarize makes me feel like I'm not a ****ty person although the deed is done.

In any case, the results:
Admitted to it

I got a 0 on the paper (Grade went from A- to B+). IA with the school (deferred suspension) for 2 years. Basically no immediate 'you can't attend our school' just a big HUGE warning.

The only thing that's been keeping me going is the hope, that somehow someway I still have a chance. I just realized that, if I don't... I should probably know now rather than in like 4 years + a big fat case of depression.

My plan for the future:

- Take the MCAT fall before 4th year.

-2 gap years (I was actually looking at Americorps for the 1st gap year which seems really cool so I definitely want to do that unless that's stupid to do and it's better to do research or something...? Would appreciate advice)

-Work with the professor to prevent future cases like this. It's actually a big problem at my school (HUGE school), and I talked with the guy for an hour, and wrote a paper to give to future students to tell my story etc... (maybe even go on camera for a plagiarism prevention workshop that they'd show future students)

-Get good grades obviously...

Anyways, if anyone has advice... or wants to tell me how much of an idiot I am I'd appreciate either. Oh, and the last thing: for the past like 8 months I would periodically look at a post from 2 years ago where @Goro commented that this type of IA isn't 100% lethal and that's what's been keeping me going. I appreciate anyone's advice, feedback, insults, ANYTHING.

Should I give up (and by this I mean is it impossible for me to have a chance at medicine.... not that I want to give up at all lol)

Something like this can be mitigated, although your odds of acceptance will be lower than they otherwise would. I will offer two thoughts:

1. Your idea of working with the professor is a good one. Bouncing back from an error and being proactive to help others is a sign of maturity.
2. Two gap years is a solid idea. Take the most altruistic option you can (Americorps > research lab). A strong personal narrative combined with several years between incident and application will help your case.

My only residual concern is that you may want to take the MCAT a bit closer to your application.

Reactions: 11 users
Something like this can be mitigated, although your odds of acceptance will be lower than they otherwise would. I will offer two thoughts:

1. Your idea of working with the professor is a good one. Bouncing back from an error and being proactive to help others is a sign of maturity.
2. Two gap years is a solid idea. Take the most altruistic option you can (Americorps > research lab). A strong personal narrative combined with several years between incident and application will help your case.

My only residual concern is that you may want to take the MCAT a bit closer to your application.
First and foremost thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately it seems as if taking the MCAT this fall is the only way to be able to do it well you know? My mindset on it is I'd rather take it then and have the best score I can achieve versus taking it super close to my application and having a worse score? Is this something I should be considering? How close would you say is ideal?

I am sorry to say that an IA for plagiarism is a big deal that will seriously harm your chances at admission. Recall that 60% of applicants are not admitted, so there are too many good candidates without an IA on their record. Your best chance would be to develop an excellent application (grades, MCAT and ECs), put years and years between you and the incident, and do your best to demonstrate that you’ve learned from your mistake. I wish you well in that process.

Thank you... I will come back and re-read this to keep the spark alive.

I agree. You have to put several years between you and the IA for plagiarism. This particular offense is a very difficult thing for you to overcome. I think it sounds like you might have a good start on building a history of remorse and reinvention but you have to keep it up. Only time will tell if you can somehow end this on a positive note.

Thank you... I still can't believe I made that mistake. As time passes it's starting to feel like I was a totally ignorant and different person before it. Hopefully I can overcome this.

First and foremost thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately it seems as if taking the MCAT this fall is the only way to be able to do it well you know? My mindset on it is I'd rather take it then and have the best score I can achieve versus taking it super close to my application and having a worse score? Is this something I should be considering? How close would you say is ideal?

Your score is only viable within 3 years of matriculation. Take it before your cycle so you know what schools you're in range for and so the score is still good in case you need to re-apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
In addition to all the excellent advice above, you should also be thinking of a plan B (i.e other careers) in case your med school plan does not work out. This is general advice for any applicant, but especially for those with academic IAs on their record. Whether you'll be competitive from a stats standpoint also remains unknown, since you won't know your MCAT until closer to your applying (you should not take it now since it may expire). Good luck and just my thoughts.

Apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I want to make this as brief as possible, to not waste anyone's time for reading.

I cheated. Specifically, I plagiarized. Biology lab last year.So the spring quarter of my 2nd year (I'm now a third-year). Long story short, I referenced a friend's lab report and turns out the mind is more powerful than I thought because I unintentionally (meaning I didn't get their lab report to copy) structured it similarly, and took phrases here and there, which..... is plagiarism. 100% cut and dry. I guess by telling myself that I didn't want to plagiarize makes me feel like I'm not a ****ty person although the deed is done.

Admitted to it

I got a 0 on the paper (Grade went from A- to B+). IA with the school (deferred suspension) for 2 years. Basically no immediate 'you can't attend our school' just a big HUGE warning.

The only thing that's been keeping me going is the hope, that somehow someway I still have a chance. I just realized that, if I don't... I should probably know now rather than in like 4 years + a big fat case of depression.

My plan for the future:

- Take the MCAT fall before 4th year.

-2 gap years (I was actually looking at Americorps for the 1st gap year which seems really cool so I definitely want to do that unless that's stupid to do and it's better to do research or something...? Would appreciate advice)

-Work with the professor to prevent future cases like this. It's actually a big problem at my school (HUGE school), and I talked with the guy for an hour, and wrote a paper to give to future students to tell my story etc... (maybe even go on camera for a plagiarism prevention workshop that they'd show future students)

Anyways, if anyone has advice... or wants to tell me how much of an idiot I am I'd appreciate either. Oh, and the last thing: for the past like 8 months I would periodically look at a post from 2 years ago where @Goro commented that this type of IA isn't 100% lethal and that's what's been keeping me going. I appreciate anyone's advice, feedback, insults, ANYTHING.

Should I give up (and by this I mean is it impossible for me to have a chance at medicine.... not that I want to give up at all lol)
Agree 100% with the wise Med Ed, but have to add:

1) Own your transgression. When you write, "than I thought because I unintentionally (meaning I didn't get their lab report to copy) structured it similarly, and took phrases here and there," it's coming off as somewhat of an excuse. I don't care what you thought, or why you did it,....you did it.

Lead an exemplary life, and engage in position of responsibility. There are Adcoms that believe in redemption.

Reactions: 12 users
In addition to all the excellent advice above, you should also be thinking of a plan B (i.e other careers) in case your med school plan does not work out. This is general advice for any applicant, but especially for those with academic IAs on their record. Whether you'll be competitive from a stats standpoint also remains unknown, since you won't know your MCAT until closer to your applying (you should not take it now since it may expire). Good luck and just my thoughts.
Thank you Moko, my plan as of right now was to take the MCAT September 2020 and apply June 2022. I read that the scores are viable for 3 years at most schools so that was my plan. I'm looking into restructuring it and possibly taking it later. Thanks again

Agree 100% with the wise Med Ed, but have to add:

1) Own your transgression. When you write, "than I thought because I unintentionally (meaning I didn't get their lab report to copy) structured it similarly, and took phrases here and there," it's coming off as somewhat of an excuse. I don't care what you thought, or why you did it,....you did it.

Lead an exemplary life, and engage in position of responsibility. There are Adcoms that believe in redemption.

100%. No excuses here, I apologize if I miswrote. I guess sometimes it's hard for my own mind to process that it happened so my writing comes off like that but trust me I understand my mistake and it' has caused me a great deal of stress. I think the dermatologist called it 'telogen effluvium' or something like that. Basically my hair fell out because of stress. In any case, thank you for your words I will read them for years to come.

100%. No excuses here, I apologize if I miswrote. I guess sometimes it's hard for my own mind to process that it happened so my writing comes off like that but trust me I understand my mistake and it' has caused me a great deal of stress. I think the dermatologist called it 'telogen effluvium' or something like that. Basically my hair fell out because of stress. In any case, thank you for your words I will read them for years to come.
When it comes time to write your application essays, make sure to have multiple eyeballs vet them. Parents make terrible editors, BTWs.

Members don't see this ad :)
When it comes time to write your application essays, make sure to have multiple eyeballs vet them. Parents make terrible editors, BTWs.
In a few years hopefully, when that happens, my parents will be the last people I ask haha. I couldn't even imagine. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I share goro in being annoyed by the initial description.

But if you can show remorse and attempts to resolve enough that the professor who caught you writes a LOR? That might go a long way

I share goro in being annoyed by the initial description.

But if you can show remorse and attempts to resolve enough that the professor who caught you writes a LOR? That might go a long way

Apologies. That's the plan as of right now. Thanks

Thank you Moko, my plan as of right now was to take the MCAT September 2020 and apply June 2022. I read that the scores are viable for 3 years at most schools so that was my plan. I'm looking into restructuring it and possibly taking it later. Thanks again

A September 2020 score would only be good for 1 cycle (matriculate 2023). If you don't get in and want to reapply, you'll have to take it again. Why not spend the two years studying so you absolutely destroy it when you take it spring 2023?

The LOR from the prof is a great idea. When writing about your IA, I suggest writing it as if someone were creating a report about you: what happened and Lee do after. Present the facts and let your reader do the interpretation. Attempt to interpret for them and you run the risk making excuses.

Maybe something like this:

I cheated. Specifically,
I plagiarized. Biology lab last year.So the spring quarter of my 2nd year (I'm now a third-year). Long story short, I referenced a friend's lab report and turns out the mind is more powerful than I thought because I unintentionally (meaning I didn't get their lab report to copy) structured it similarly, and took phrases here and there, which..... is plagiarism. 100% cut and dry. I guess by telling myself that I didn't want to plagiarize makes me feel like I'm not a ****ty person although the deed is done.

Admitted to it
I got a 0 on the paper
(Grade went from A- to B+). IA with the school (deferred suspension) for 2 years. Basically no immediate 'you can't attend our school' just a big HUGE warning.

My plan for the future:
[Since then, I have done the following]

- Take the MCAT fall before 4th year. ---> Studied hard to do well on MCAT and classes.

-2 gap years (I was actually looking at Americorps for the 1st gap year [for x number of years, briefly what I did and learned, maybe how it relates to being honest] which seems really cool so I definitely want to do that unless that's stupid to do and it's better to do research or something...? Would appreciate advice)

On another note, is 2 years enough time for forgiveness? This is a general question for our resident experts.

Reactions: 1 users
A September 2020 score would only be good for 1 cycle (matriculate 2023). If you don't get in and want to reapply, you'll have to take it again. Why not spend the two years studying so you absolutely destroy it when you take it spring 2023?

The LOR from the prof is a great idea. When writing about your IA, I suggest writing it as if someone were creating a report about you: what happened and Lee do after. Present the facts and let your reader do the interpretation. Attempt to interpret for them and you run the risk making excuses.

Maybe something like this:

On another note, is 2 years enough time for forgiveness? This is a general question for our resident experts.

Thanks so much that's solid advice. And yeah if two years(gap) isn't enough there's no point in taking it this September. I was just thinking that from the incident itself it would be 2 years in school+ 2 years gap which would hopefully be enough, but again I'm open to reconsideration. I was hoping on focusing on getting 4 quality years of improvement you know? Rather than 6+ mediocre years where I just waddle about I really wanted to attack these 4 years and show my strong improvement. I honestly don't mind retaking the test again should the undesirable outcome happen.

As for the timeline, if I'm not at the point where I feel like I'm going to destroy it this September, I will NOT take the exam. I know that the IA makes my GPA pretty much just invalid at this point so it doesn't really matter how high I can get that up (I'm looking at finishing with around 3.85 give or take a few 0.01s).

Also, I've had a dean at my school suggest that maybe just wait 5 years and then not report it (my school purges records after 5 years). This doesn't really strike me as a good idea because isn't the whole point to move on and show that I am the better person rather than wait, obscure and apply with "no IA"? I don't plan on doing this just hoping to show that I really want to own this rather than wait.

Thanks so much that's solid advice. And yeah if two years(gap) isn't enough there's no point in taking it this September. I was just thinking that from the incident itself it would be 2 years in school+ 2 years gap which would hopefully be enough, but again I'm open to reconsideration. I was hoping on focusing on getting 4 quality years of improvement you know? Rather than 6+ mediocre years where I just waddle about I really wanted to attack these 4 years and show my strong improvement. I honestly don't mind retaking the test again should the undesirable outcome happen.

As for the timeline, if I'm not at the point where I feel like I'm going to destroy it this September, I will NOT take the exam. I know that the IA makes my GPA pretty much just invalid at this point so it doesn't really matter how high I can get that up (I'm looking at finishing with around 3.85 give or take a few 0.01s).

Also, I've had a dean at my school suggest that maybe just wait 5 years and then not report it (my school purges records after 5 years). This doesn't really strike me as a good idea because isn't the whole point to move on and show that I am the better person rather than wait, obscure and apply with "no IA"? I don't plan on doing this just hoping to show that I really want to own this rather than wait.
Even if the record is purged from your school, it still needs to be reported on AMCAS. From AMCAS:
"Medical schools need to know if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment, require you to withdraw, or does not appear on your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition" (emphasis mine).

Taking two gap years before applying would be the bare minimum in my opinion. There is no set time frame before IA's are 'discounted' though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Even if the record is purged from your school, it still needs to be reported on AMCAS. From AMCAS:
"Medical schools need to know if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment, require you to withdraw, or does not appear on your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition" (emphasis mine).

Taking two gap years before applying would be the bare minimum in my opinion. There is no set time frame before IA's are 'discounted' though.

Oh yeah I'm more than aware I have to report it, and I plan on reporting it either way. I just thought I'd share that. Yeah, I'm hoping to do two quality gap years. I just know if I can get an interview I can show them who I am. Thank you again for your help Moko.

Military isn't for everyone, but might not be a bad way to spend a few gap years before you apply. Peace Corps seems like a decent other option. Just put as much time between this and you, and you'll be good. As much as everyone will flail me for saying this, not disclosing this is an option as long as your undergrad, and your letter writers do not disclose it either. However even a simple "candidate has improved greatly from his academic dishonesty in his freshman year" will outright **** you, so, if you go that route, be careful.

Military isn't for everyone, but might not be a bad way to spend a few gap years before you apply. Peace Corps seems like a decent other option. Just put as much time between this and you, and you'll be good. As much as everyone will flail me for saying this, not disclosing this is an option as long as your undergrad, and your letter writers do not disclose it either. However even a simple "candidate has improved greatly from his academic dishonesty in his freshman year" will outright **** you, so, if you go that route, be careful.
Appreciate the words man but honestly, I'm trying to move past it not have it haunt me. My hair literally started falling out because of the enormous amount of stress this caused me so I'm fearing anything like that in the future.

As for how much time to put between me and this incident the problem is there's such a grey area... I think I'm going to come back in a few months with my MCAT score and see what the council decides lol.

And yeah if any adcoms see that I guarantee you will get 'flailed' lol. But I know you mean well its just doesn't feel right to me man

Appreciate the words man but honestly, I'm trying to move past it not have it haunt me. My hair literally started falling out because of the enormous amount of stress this caused me so I'm fearing anything like that in the future.

As for how much time to put between me and this incident the problem is there's such a grey area... I think I'm going to come back in a few months with my MCAT score and see what the council decides lol.

And yeah if any adcoms see that I guarantee you will get 'flailed' lol. But I know you mean well its just doesn't feel right to me man
I think that with exemplary behavior, and a LOR from the Prof of the course, plus some killer ECs like TFA, that a gap year will suffice. That will put some 3+ years between the incident and applying.

I think that with exemplary behavior, and a LOR from the Prof of the course, plus some killer ECs like TFA, that a gap year will suffice. That will put some 3+ years between the incident and applying.

I can't describe what it means to read that, thanks. I was planning on 2+ gap years so it would be 4+ years between the incident specifically and application.

As for teach for America, I've read about a few problems that they have and that's why I was drawn more towards Americorps but in any case, I hope there's not too much difference between the two. I'll be sure to do some more research over the next few years before choosing. Thanks again for your help and input.

I can't describe what it means to read that, thanks. I was planning on 2+ gap years so it would be 4+ years between the incident specifically and application.

As for teach for America, I've read about a few problems that they have and that's why I was drawn more towards Americorps but in any case, I hope there's not too much difference between the two. I'll be sure to do some more research over the next few years before choosing. Thanks again for your help and input.
I have a high regard for Americorps!

Here’s my n=1. Hope it answers a few of your questions. I was expelled for getting caught with drugs my sophomore year of college in 2011. I applied this cycle and I’m currently on a post interview waitlist. No one asked about the IA during my interview. Because I’m a non traditional applicant, I tried to emphasize my growth and distance from who I was at the time of the IA. On my apps upon request, I explained the IA and what the consequences were for me and those around me. It’s good you realize you’re still sensitive and shy about describing the incident because it frankly doesn’t come across like you’ve totally processed how severe your plagiarism was, though it was perhaps not as egregious as cheating on a test or copying a paper word for word (no one does that!)

I’m one person with one experience so things may be different for you but it took me about 5 years before I could start discussing my expulsion maturely, in a way that conveyed I understood the gravity of my mistakes. During that time, I learned how to take responsibility for my actions through working and supporting myself. I volunteered in several roles. I found value in environments where my team was supportive but would accept no excuses. I gained a lot from getting sober and volunteering at an inpatient drug and alcohol rehab center where I watched nearly everyone make excuses for themselves before they were able to make progress in their recovery.

I hope you’re able to find a way to make peace with your past actions and move forward successfully. You don’t have to let this IA define you but like others have said, I would recommend you try to be as objective and proactive as possible. PM me if you have more questions.

Excellent advice from others, I concur. At our institution we have 13000 apps for 175 places. An IA is a big deal, not just due to an institution choice not to accept you. Physician professionalism is actually lower for students with an IA affecting patient safety. Not to say you can’t get past this, but you should develop another life plan and diligently work to make that successful. I would wait a couple of years, then take MCAT, then apply so that you can prove that you are a a successful and philanthropic citizen

Just saying, I’ve had like 5 friends get in with academic type IAs

• Haha
  • Hmm
Just saying, I’ve had like 5 friends get in with academic type IAs
Do you mind me asking if they were of similar nature to mine? And what they did to demonstrate improvement that I could benefit from doing?

Excellent advice from others, I concur. At our institution we have 13000 apps for 175 places. An IA is a big deal, not just due to an institution choice not to accept you. Physician professionalism is actually lower for students with an IA affecting patient safety. Not to say you can’t get past this, but you should develop another life plan and diligently work to make that successful. I would wait a couple of years, then take MCAT, then apply so that you can prove that you are a a successful and philanthropic citizen

Yeah I'm aware of the idea that students with IAs are more likely to be worse doctors, but I want to get to a point where I can prove that it won't apply to me. Not saying I'll ever get out of my IAs shadow, I just believe that everyone is entitled to a second chance and I hope that adcoms share that view as well, especially should my actions demonstrate significant improvement. I appreciate your feedback

Last edited:
oof, I agree with everyone who has already commented and while its too late now this info may still be useful for others who may come into your situation. I don't know the details but if all you did was refer to a friends for structure/content.... and then happened to have similarities, you should not have confessed. Unless there is an overwhelming amount of clearly plagiarized material, you should always deny. While many schools have a very poor version of "due process" when it comes to convicting a student of plagiarism, an education attorney can usually get you out of stuff like this unless it is, like i said, overwhelmingly obvious. Many schools won't want to expend legal resources dealing with a cause of potential* plagiarism.

oof, I agree with everyone who has already commented and while its too late now this info may still be useful for others who may come into your situation. I don't know the details but if all you did was refer to a friends for structure/content.... and then happened to have similarities, you should not have confessed. Unless there is an overwhelming amount of clearly plagiarized material, you should always deny. While many schools have a very poor version of "due process" when it comes to convicting a student of plagiarism, an education attorney can usually get you out of stuff like this unless it is, like i said, overwhelmingly obvious. Many schools won't want to expend legal resources dealing with a cause of potential* plagiarism.
When your hair is falling out because of stress, it tends to make you not want to hire a lawyer and fight.

When your hair is falling out because of stress, it tends to make you not want to hire a lawyer and fight.
Plus, it's easy to be an armchair lawyer on the internet. SDNers should mind that universities are not courts of law and due process is something that for the law courts.

Plus, it's easy to be an armchair lawyer on the internet. SDNers should mind that universities are not courts of law and due process is something that for the law courts.
this is true, especially with private universities, but in many cases you can take a public U to court where due process is granted. In my experience (relative is an education attorney) school, like I said, often do not want to deal with it and back down.

this is true, especially with private universities, but in many cases you can take a public U to court where due process is granted. In my experience (relative is an education attorney) school, like I said, often do not want to deal with it and back down.

All they have to prove is that you broke a school rule. It is not a court of law and you haven't been accused of a crime. If plagiarism is against school rules and OP clearly states, "I plagiarized."then it is an open and shut case. If he did it and then lies about it, we have all the evidence needed to know of a student's integrity.

• Love
All they have to prove is that you broke a school rule. It is not a court of law and you haven't been accused of a crime. If plagiarism is against school rules and OP clearly states, "I plagiarized."then it is an open and shut case. If he did it and then lies about it, we have all the evidence needed to know of a student's integrity.
well yes, this case is closed. my post was mainly advice for others in this scenario. In this case, the plagiarism should have been denied (I don't even think this should warrant an accusation of plagiarism...If I run an experiment and publish it, and someone else copies the procedure for my experiment with their own project and reports their own data in a similar format is it plagiarizing?)

My point is you will have a harder time proving what you did isn't plagiarizing than you would denying the action at all. The end result would be what is right... for what OP described, he/she should not be given an IA for plagiarism, and what I recommended may have gotten them out (or other who may be in a similar position in the future).

That too. Also, lawyers aren't cheap and it just didn't seem like the right way to move past it. I'd rather accept my mistake and move on

well yes, this case is closed. my post was mainly advice for others in this scenario. In this case, the plagiarism should have been denied (I don't even think this should warrant an accusation of plagiarism...If I run an experiment and publish it, and someone else copies the procedure for my experiment with their own project and reports their own data in a similar format is it plagiarizing?)
You can't compare repeating someone's experiment (which is the nature of Science and plagiarism) with other IAs. This is a rather inane argument.

After going through your post history, suggest knocking off the pot smoking

• Haha