Do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Neurosurgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished my 3rd semester of college at Ohio State( Neuroscience, French minor) and I am very worried about my chances of getting into med school. My current cumulative gpa is a 2.96 and my current semseter gpa is 3.34 (I ended my 1st year with a 2.7 cum). I've heard that med schools enjoy seeing upward trends so I hope I have that going for me assuming the next 3 semesters go well for me. Even though my gpa is pretty low I currently work in a research lab, volunteer at a hospital and has shadowed a neurosurgeon so I feel that those factor might help me especially if I get a strong MCAT score. So my question is essentially is med school out of the question for me or do I still have at least a fighing chance?

Members don't see this ad.

You have plenty of time to increase that GPA. With an upward trend in your last 4 semesters combined with a good MCAT score, you can still be competitive for most MD schools.

However, your GPA in subsequent semesters needs to be higher than 3.34 (your GPA this semester) in order to get your cumulative GPA in the competitive range.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I just finished my 3rd semester of college at Ohio State( Neuroscience, French minor) and I am very worried about my chances of getting into med school. My current cumulative gpa is a 2.96 and my current semseter gpa is 3.34 (I ended my 1st year with a 2.7 cum). I've heard that med schools enjoy seeing upward trends so I hope I have that going for me assuming the next 3 semesters go well for me. Even though my gpa is pretty low I currently work in a research lab, volunteer at a hospital and has shadowed a neurosurgeon so I feel that those factor might help me especially if I get a strong MCAT score. So my question is essentially is med school out of the question for me or do I still have at least a fighing chance?
No, it is not out of the question. I had 5 Ws and 7 Fs and was accepted to med school with a high MCAT and exceptional ECs. Do really well in the rest of your classes and crush the MCAT for a good chance.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances are ZERO unless you fix your deficits and start acing things from now on. there are tons of students who have similar ECs and have done well in undergrad, so you're starting from behind the eight ball. Luckily, if you can pull off a massive upward trend, adcoms are suckers for a come from behind story.

But words are easy, doing is harder.

Reactions: 2 users
But words are easy, doing is harder.
Speaking of words OP, I respectfully suggest you use a different account with a different username if you plan on posting/asking questions again on sdn.

You've got to realistically assess how hard you are really working. If this is your best, it's time for plan B. You also may have to decrease your EC commitments. Amazing ECs are the same as no ECs when your application is auto rejected by a poor GPA.
Also, there's nothing you've done to indicate that you'll get a significantly above average MCAT, so I wouldn't pin all your hopes on that dream.

Reactions: 1 users
You're not doomed, assuming you're a freshman or sophomore, but the others are correct in saying you have 0% chance with your current GPA; screening throws out most applicants, usually below a 3.3.

But even a 3.3; you'd have to have a damn good reason why you made a 3.3 or have a near perfect MCAT. People with below a 3.5 are in danger of not being accepted; I would definitely and realistically assess how you are doing and think about what it would be like to reach senior year and realize you have to change majors and careers.

Reactions: 2 users
I was at around a 2.9 after my Sophomore year, after which I hauled ass and railed off like 20 something straight A's. It's doable.

I was at around a 2.9 after my Sophomore year, after which I hauled ass and railed off like 20 something straight A's. It's doable.
Do you have your story written somewhere in SDN? I would love to read it!

Do you have your story written somewhere in SDN? I would love to read it!
I think I wrote about it in DoctorLacrosse's epic motivational thread somewhere lol.

But seriously folks, college is not that hard. Unless you're an engineering major, anyone can do very well if they're not lazy.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you sure? :cryi: It is hard for me right now; like Kindergarten is hard for 4 or 5 years old :3
I guess it's all relative. I thought college was hard relative to high school. And being in med school right now, college seems like a 4 year vacation in retrospect.

I think I wrote about it in DoctorLacrosse's epic motivational thread somewhere lol.

But seriously folks, college is not that hard. Unless you're an engineering major, anyone can do very well if they're not lazy.

Man you helped lift my spirits, your from NYC, and is that Ribery? Man thanks a lot.

I have a question, I am looking to go into medicine. What kind of advice can you give to someone like me? Mind you I am reluctant to go into medicine because I do not know anyone in the field and am getting scared because of how hard everyone says it is to get in and I do not want to fail and waste everything by not getting in.

Also my GPA is a 3.6 but I dont think I can pull of the MCAT.

Last edited:
Man you helped lift my spirits, your from NYC, and is that Ribery? Man thanks a lot.

I have a question, I am looking to go into medicine. What kind of advice can you give to someone like me? Mind you I am reluctant to go into medicine because I do not know anyone in the field and am getting scared because of how hard everyone says it is to get in and I do not want to fail and waste everything by not getting in.

Medicine isn't for everyone. If you feel like you're being pressured into it, then DON'T DO IT. Unless your heart is set on medicine, it is going to suck trying to get through medical school.

But if you do feel like medicine is your passion and what you want to do with your life, then take the plunge and don't doubt yourself. Your GPA is good. Extracurriculars are easy to get.

The MCAT was a torturous experience for me I'm not going to lie but I also didn't study for it as well as I should have.

My advice to you is if you feel like medicine is something you really want to do, try your very best in regards to the MCAT and see how it goes. If you're competitive for M.D. programs, then apply broadly and you should be fine. D.O. schools are also fairly easy to get into if you have a 75th percentile MCAT or higher.

I guess it's all relative. I thought college was hard relative to high school. And being in med school right now, college seems like a 4 year vacation in retrospect.

What med school do you go to?

Why not get to know some people in the field through volunteering and shadowing? Don't skip it because you're afraid of failure. Make the decision based on what you want to do with your life.