Do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvstech

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I still have a chance at getting admitted into pharmacy school..

I started as a pre-pharmacy major in the fall of '07. That year I wasn't completely sure pharmacy is what I wanted to do. I always thought it would be something I would enjoy but I didn't have any experience in it, I wasn't very motivated because of this and ended up doing terrible in my classes. Fast forward to Spring '09, I thought I would like to try a business major so I switched schools and changed to business finance/accounting but ended up withdrawing due to my grandparents' rapidly declining health (they passed 6 months apart to the day).

In the meantime, I've been able to get a technician job at the local CVS and I really enjoy it. I'm pretty much determined to go back to school and do well in my classes. I know I'm capable of doing well if I set my mind to it and this is something that I really want to do. I talked to my old adviser at my school and he told me that if I retake the classes that I messed up on my first year that they would basically replace my previous grades. Is this true? Or would it be difficult for me to get into pharmacy school at this point due to my grades my first semester? I have a feeling I can do really well this time around, I'll be able to focus more and I'm a lot more determined now. Any advice is appreciated :thumbup:.

Members don't see this ad.

It will be a while before I apply, I still have most of my classes left to take. From the looks of things it will be about 2 years before I start applying. At the moment my GPA is probably around a 2.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same stats academic wise and I got into pharmacy school this cycle. Basically if you're willing to apply yourself for 2 years (get mostly A's), you'll get interviews.

Just wondering if I still have a chance at getting admitted into pharmacy school..

I started as a pre-pharmacy major in the fall of '07. That year I wasn't completely sure pharmacy is what I wanted to do. I always thought it would be something I would enjoy but I didn't have any experience in it, I wasn't very motivated because of this and ended up doing terrible in my classes. Fast forward to Spring '09, I thought I would like to try a business major so I switched schools and changed to business finance/accounting but ended up withdrawing due to my grandparents' rapidly declining health (they passed 6 months apart to the day).

In the meantime, I've been able to get a technician job at the local CVS and I really enjoy it. I'm pretty much determined to go back to school and do well in my classes. I know I'm capable of doing well if I set my mind to it and this is something that I really want to do. I talked to my old adviser at my school and he told me that if I retake the classes that I messed up on my first year that they would basically replace my previous grades. Is this true? Or would it be difficult for me to get into pharmacy school at this point due to my grades my first semester? I have a feeling I can do really well this time around, I'll be able to focus more and I'm a lot more determined now. Any advice is appreciated :thumbup:.

Your grades will not be replaced on pharmcas. It will take both your previous grade and your retake grade. I am not sure if it averages the two or what, but it will still count against the GPA pharmcas calculates.

If you try your hardest you will have a legitimate shot at it. Good luck buddy!:)

Ok sounds good. I'll definitely get my grades up. Thanks for the help. I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to do this now due to my *******ness my first year.