Do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vstexas09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore here at UT Austin, and a Bio Pre-Med major.
My GPA from last year was a 3.65, so I was pretty bummed heading to this semester, with that GPA.

I am enrolled in Genetics, OCHEM, Bio Lab, Chem Lab, and a religious studies class. UT uses the plus/minus system for grading.

My final for Ochem is in a couple of hours, and I highly doubt that I will do well. I will likely make a C- or fail the course.

here are my grades. this has been a difficult semester.

Genetics: Most likely B- or C+
Bio Lab: A or B+
Ch Lab: B
OChem: C- or F
Religious Studies: B+

I am really passionate about doing medicine, but I feel like I am done. I feel like I have no hope. I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Try your hardest on your finals to get the best possible grade you can...take whatever hit to your gpa, pick yourself up, and do better next semester. You won't be "done" because of one bad semester. However, take a look at what happened to make you have that bad semester. It seems like you overloaded your schedule with traditionally hard classes. A lot of premeds on this site think that they have to take ridiculous course loads to impress the adcoms with how much they can handle...but having a good gpa is far more important. Look at your schedule for next semester, and if it looks like this semester, maybe drop a class, or drop a hard science class and replace it with a gen ed course that you think you can do well in. There is also no rule that says you HAVE to apply after your junior year....if your gpa takes a really bad hit, you may want to apply after your senior year, showing a steep upward grade trend and with an extra year of extracurriculars and grades to make up for the bad semester. Don't get discouraged, get determined to do better! Use it as a wake up call, and fix whatever is the problem. One or two C's, or even an F isn't going to be the deal breaker.

My GPA from last year was a 3.65, so I was pretty bummed heading to this semester, with that GPA.

I am enrolled in Genetics, OCHEM, Bio Lab, Chem Lab, and a religious studies class. UT uses the plus/minus system for grading.

My final for Ochem is in a couple of hours, and I highly doubt that I will do well. I will likely make a C- or fail the course.

I am really passionate about doing medicine, but I feel like I am done. I feel like I have no hope. I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I don't think your "done" at all. Beside, you still have the mcat, EC's. It is not all about gpa.

I finished my freshmen year college with a 2.8 at A&M. I made sure I pick it up before I applied to medical to school. I finished with a 3.4 cgpa and 3.3sgpa, applied, and got prematched into md school in texas.

Do not worry about the past, move on and just make sure you pick that gpa up. Medical schools really see an upward trend gpa as a positive thing ( I testify for that). Divide each semester into a mixture of both easy and hard classes. That way you are not overwhelmed with a load of hard science classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you posting a thread on doing poorly in classes if you have a final today?

I got my results, and unfortunately, I will not be able to pass OChem. I will make a D. I'm so distraught right now, because I never thought that this could happen to me. I'm really nervous, because I don't know what's in store for the future. I really want to do medicine, but I was banking on my GPA to help out, because frankly, I hate standardized testing. I don't think I will fare well on the MCAT, so I guess I might have to change my methods. I am really sad, and on the brink of losing all hope. I have a genetics final on Monday that I am slowly studying for, but honestly, this all feels so surreal to me. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, or how I'm supposed to cope.

No, you literally have zero chance. No one that has had under a 3.0 has EVER gotten in medical school. You lose.

/sarcasm

Why are you posting a thread on doing poorly in classes if you have a final today?

Exactly what I was thinking.
You already sound like you've given up. You sound like a quitter.

If that's not true, man up and start working your ass off. This is your future at stake here. You can turn this around, but not by crying about what's done.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I got my results, and unfortunately, I will not be able to pass OChem. I will make a D. I'm so distraught right now, because I never thought that this could happen to me. I'm really nervous, because I don't know what's in store for the future. I really want to do medicine, but I was banking on my GPA to help out, because frankly, I hate standardized testing. I don't think I will fare well on the MCAT, so I guess I might have to change my methods. I am really sad, and on the brink of losing all hope. I have a genetics final on Monday that I am slowly studying for, but honestly, this all feels so surreal to me. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, or how I'm supposed to cope.

Did you work your absolute hardest and get a D, or did you do other things like party too hard/play sports/have a job and get a D?

The advice I give differs depending on your answer.

And, for the record, you might be down, but you're never down and out until you call it.

Remember, it is NEVER too late for anything, until you are dead.

Hey, I'm a sophomore who also goes to UT (transferred from A&M) and took similar courses as you. I felt the courses at UT were much harder than A&M's. My GPA will be dropping as well. I'm most likely getting a C+/B- in Genetics & got a B in Ochem. Who'd you have for Genetics & Ochem? It seems like a lot of the professors here are pretty bad. Forget about this semester and try to retake Ochem and do your best from now on...

Take a step back and look at what happened over this last semester. You received these grades for a reason. Figure out what caused them, make appropriate changes, and prepare yourself for next semester. Everyone has rough spots in their academic career. Don't let it distract you too much.

I'm guilty of this mentality at times as well, but you just have to take a deep breath and look at the big picture. Obviously nothing is written in stone and one bad semester is not going to end any chance at becoming a doctor.