Do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRWPREMED

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thread moved to "What are my chances?"

Yes you still have a chance. Keep up the grades and you'll have a very nice upward trend for your GPA

What's your BCPM GPA?

How are your ECs?

Should be a 4.0, but I haven't taken Physics, O-Chem, or Calc II yet.

I got A's in Bio I and Chem I. I'm taking Bio II and Chem II right now and have 97-98% averages in both.
A in Calc I. Calc II was unavailable this semester, so I'm taking it in the summer.

I've done a bit of self studying in O-Chem and I understand the material fairly well. I took Physics in high school and got an A, so I'm thinking I could pull a B+ or higher at university level.

As for EC's, my CC doesn't offer much. I'm in the AMSA (National and Local) and I have around 25 hours of shadowing. I've exchanged e-mails with a pre-med adviser at ETSU and they said that they can set me up with some volunteering at a hospital around Johnson City. I'll see if I can get into some research as well.

I'm hoping to apply to Quillen (ETSU's med school), UVa, VTCOM, EVMS, VCU, Edward Via Osteopathic (although I don't really see eye-to-eye with some of the Osteopathic methods), and maybe Wake Forest.

About how soon should I start studying for the MCAT? My parents got me a set of ExamKrackers and Kaplan books for Christmas along with some MCAT flashcards, but I haven't really opened them.

Thanks for answering and moving my thread to the correct forum!

Members don't see this ad :)
Should be a 4.0, but I haven't taken Physics, O-Chem, or Calc II yet.

I got A's in Bio I and Chem I. I'm taking Bio II and Chem II right now and have 97-98% averages in both.
A in Calc I. Calc II was unavailable this semester, so I'm taking it in the summer.

I've done a bit of self studying in O-Chem and I understand the material fairly well. I took Physics in high school and got an A, so I'm thinking I could pull a B+ or higher at university level.

As for EC's, my CC doesn't offer much. I'm in the AMSA (National and Local) and I have around 25 hours of shadowing. I've exchanged e-mails with a pre-med adviser at ETSU and they said that they can set me up with some volunteering at a hospital around Johnson City. I'll see if I can get into some research as well.

I'm hoping to apply to Quillen (ETSU's med school), UVa, VTCOM, EVMS, VCU, Edward Via Osteopathic (although I don't really see eye-to-eye with some of the Osteopathic methods), and maybe Wake Forest.

About how soon should I start studying for the MCAT? My parents got me a set of ExamKrackers and Kaplan books for Christmas along with some MCAT flashcards, but I haven't really opened them.

Thanks for answering and moving my thread to the correct forum!
Great BCPM GPA:thumbup: Keep up the good work

It sounds like you should probably think about starting some more ECs ASAP though. Here's some stuff to aim for:
1 1/2 years clinical volunteering (or clinical employment-- like an ED scribe or tech, etc)
1 year nonclinical volunteering
1 year research
50 hours shadowing in a few specialties (including primary care)
A leadership position or two
Possibly some teaching/tutoring (you can make this a part of the nonclinical volunteering)

Those are just some ideas to help you start thinking about stuff to be doing. Applicants get in without doing all of this stuff, but we're talking about making you as competitive as possible to appeal to a wide range of schools. A lot of these things require you to be proactive, meaning that no one will set it up for you. You'll have to find connections yourself in most cases.

Typical schedule is to apply after your junior year. If your ECs are lacking or if you need more GPA repair work by including your senior year classes in your GPA, then you can apply later of course (some people recommend taking a gap year anyway). When you've finished all of the classes recommended for the MCAT (basically the premed prereqs) then you should probably start studying (2-3 months of pretty dedicated studying) and take the MCAT while the material is somewhat fresh.

One more thing: Check out the school websites for the schools you know you want to apply to just to be sure that you've got plans to finish their prereqs. It's always unfortunate when you figure out that you can't apply to one of your target schools. Also, the average applicant applies to 14 schools, but you really don't have to be working on building your school list right now.

Last edited: