Do I still have a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsBrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a very motivated pre-med, but very unfortunate in the grades I have received. My 1st year I received a D in Bio I and Cal I. I retook both of these, but sadly I could only pull a C out of Bio I. On the bright side, I made an A after retaking cal I. After finishing this semester, I made a C in Cal II. Unexpectedly, I made a C in gen chem although I had a B before going into finals. This was not my best semester. I only came out with a 3.0 overall, but I did take on some new extracurricular activities that have contributed to my low grades this semester. Currently I have a 2.34 science GPA and a 3.12 overall GPA. I still have time to improve my grades before applying medical school, but how harshly do medical schools judge you on individual grades vs. overall GPA? If I came out with an overall GPA and a Science GPA of 3.5 and did good on the MCAT would I still have an OK shot at med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a very motivated pre-med, but very unfortunate in the grades I have received. My 1st year I received a D in Bio I and Cal I. I retook both of these, but sadly I could only pull a C out of Bio I. On the bright side, I made an A after retaking cal I. After finishing this semester, I made a C in Cal II. Unexpectedly, I made a C in gen chem although I had a B before going into finals. This was not my best semester. I only came out with a 3.0 overall, but I did take on some new extracurricular activities that have contributed to my low grades this semester. Currently I have a 2.34 science GPA and a 3.12 overall GPA. I still have time to improve my grades before applying medical school, but how harshly do medical schools judge you on individual grades vs. overall GPA? If I came out with an overall GPA and a Science GPA of 3.5 and did good on the MCAT would I still have an OK shot at med school?

MD schools don't honor grade replacements, but DO schools do.

Yes