Do I still have a shot at getting in after just 3 yrs. of college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I got a B in General Chemistry 2 this past semester; dangit! I got an A in the lab, though. Unfortunately, I also got a B in College Algebra. :rolleyes:

I know that these grades aren't bad, but some of you may recall that I'm shooting to get into dental school after just 3 total years of college (I would be applying at the end of my sophomore year). I just finished my freshman year; these are my current pre-req. grades:

General Chemistry 1 Lecture/Lab -- A/B
General Chemistry 2 Lecture/Lab -- B/A (wish it was the other way around!)
Principles of Biology 1 Lecture/Lab -- A/A

This Fall, I'm scheduled to take Organic Chemistry 1 (w/ lab) and Anatomy and Physiology (for a healthy science GPA boost). The rest of what I take will be non-BCP.

If my calculations are correct, my BCP GPA is currently a 3.67. My overall sits dead at a 3.60. Do you guys think I will still have a shot at getting accepted after two years if I earn an A in Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 (shouldn't be much of a battle -- my uni. has a new teacher, and his tests are all open book, and he doesn't even give a final test), an A in Anatomy and Physiology and an A in Biology II? I will try to make an A in whatever the hell else I have, but I'll also be taking Statistics, and I suck hard at math.

Another dude on this forum told me he applied to MCG after two years with stellar stats: 3.7 GPA, 22+ DAT scores, ECs, etc. He was turned down! I plan on applying to every dental school in the country that accepts out-of-state white males.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

or you could graduate college first.....

seriously, coming straight out of college to dental school is already considered pretty early.

I just want to hurry up and get the ball rolling, because I already know that dental school is where I want to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, an A in orgo 1 and 2 is no easy task. Neither is an A in A&P.

Second of all, you're in luck with statistics. It's hardly any "real" math at all.

Thirdly, graduate college. Have fun. Keep in mind you're competing against people that have your stats PLUS a degree.

school judge you as an overall person....not just your gpa or what you got in 1 class or wat you did yesterday.

Jet Li's comment also sparked my memory; this Fall, I'd like to start some sort of Pre-Dental organization at my school. Maybe being the Founder/President of d'club would provide a spit-shiny extracurricular for my application...because, otherwise, I haven't done a single damn thing.

Blasterx -- it is relieving to hear you say that Stats isn't a big deal.

I'm actually considering dropping the English 2 course I'm currently scheduled to take, because the teacher is rumored to be EXTREMELY hard to coaxe an A out of; from what I've heard, she doesn't "believe" in giving As, or some bull$#!*.

Alright. so I have a 4.0 with all prereq's (except for physics 2) taken. And I am still scared, excuse me, ****less of not getting accepted. I think you have as much of a chance of getting in with average acceptance GPA after 3 years of college as I do of getting a 30 on DAT. Sorry, but I just don't see it happening, buddy. ;)

I'm actually considering dropping the English 2 course I'm currently scheduled to take, because the teacher is rumored to be EXTREMELY hard to coaxe an A out of; from what I've heard, she doesn't "believe" in giving As, or some bull$#!*.

This ticks me off, hard teachers are great, they force you to learn the material. This past semester when I was teaching gen chem I only gave out a hand full of A;s to the students that actually learned the material. I knew who the pre-meds were and i didnt cut them any slack. why should you get special treatment because you want that one extra point.
One of my students who is a pre-med she was "hot" :love: and she didn't hound me for every single point, and she did extremelly well.

This ticks me off, hard teachers are great, they force you to learn the material. This past semester when I was teaching gen chem I only gave out a hand full of A;s to the students that actually learned the material. I knew who the pre-meds were and i didnt cut them any slack. why should you get special treatment because you want that one extra point.
One of my students who is a pre-med she was "hot" :love: and she didn't hound me for every single point, and she did extremelly well.

*Stands up and applauds* :thumbup:

This is touching; I can only dream of being as noble as you two.

You might enjoy taking a class in which, sure, you'll be forced to learn -- and feel damned good about taking a B for it, no matter how "good" you are. I'll take the easy class and take an A with little or no effort, thanks. After all, the numbers are what make the GPA.

Uh, Laundry? Don't bitch to me because you were dumb enough to apply as late as you did. Want in on a little secret? My grandfather's brother was voted as Superintendent of the Year for the state of Georgia several times in a row during his career. He's dead, but his wife still maintains contact with MCG faculty. If I EVER run into any trouble, all I'll have to do is call her up and tell her that I'm ready to meet with the MCG boys and girls. I would have liked to do it without resorting to grovelling, but, hey -- it got me an A in Chemistry 1.

I'll be sure to scan and e-mail you a copy of my acceptance letter sometime in late 2008/early 2009. I think you have about as good a chance of getting into dental school -- at any point of your career -- as I do even needing to make a 30 on the DAT. Buddy. ;)

Do you have a shot at getting into dental school after 3 years of undergrad?

No. Unless you have family connections (and even then it is doubtful) it won't happen. Dentistry is just getting that much more competitive.

Even USC, one of the easiest schools to get into, 100% of students had degrees or morefor the last 2 years. Source: http://uscsd03.usc.edu/dental/admissions/applicant.htm (2nd last paragraph)

yep. unless you can bust out 20+ credits/semester and actually finish your degree in 3 years i think you're **** out of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, Laundry? Don't bitch to me because you were dumb enough to apply as late as you did. Want in on a little secret? My grandfather's brother was voted as Superintendent of the Year for the state of Georgia several times in a row during his career. He's dead, but his wife still maintains contact with MCG faculty. If I EVER run into any trouble, all I'll have to do is call her up and tell her that I'm ready to meet with the MCG boys and girls. I would have liked to do it without resorting to grovelling, but, hey -- it got me an A in Chemistry 1.

Haha.. I posted my comment about family connections before reading the other replies (including this one).

A few thoughts come to mind

a) that's pretty weak.. grandfather's brother? What's that.. your dead-great-uncle? Trying to get in on family connections rather than merit is pretty weak to begin with, and when it's your great-uncle who never held a faculty or administrative position at MCG? Whatever man.

b) you're bragging about getting an A in chemistry 1? Wow. Hot stuff! You're really a genius. That's quite an accomplishment. Buddy, if you're bragging about that it shows you have absolutely no idea what the real world is like. (For the record, I scored an A+ in every single one of my prerequisite classes. Nobody would have known that until now, because I didn't feel it needed to be mentioned.)

c) you have maturity issues, or more specifically the lack of. See item b for reasons why.

d) don't get upset at posters telling you the answer to the question you asked. they're not making the rules, just explaining how the game works to you.

Dont Apply, You Wont Get In.

yep. unless you can bust out 20+ credits/semester and actually finish your degree in 3 years i think you're **** out of luck.

But then the OP would have a degree, and that is not what the question is. The OP wanted to know the chances of being accepted to dental school in 3 years without a degree, which is extremely improbable.

Well if you do get an interview I hope you do a good job hiding that cocky attitude of yours.

Don't forget that there are an assload of very qualified pre-dents who will be graduating the year they apply. They will be competing for your spot.

Also, the people interviewing you and the others on the committee will look over your classes. I'm sure by now they are quite good at determining which courses are easy and which are difficult. It's always better to show you can do well in a difficult course. An A in a really easy course doesn't mean all too much if that's all you do.

I also don't see the appeal of rushing through college. Why would you want to get rid of a year of partying, long breaks, and not a terrible amount of work? It's great that you are so eager to start dentistry but you will have the rest of your life to do it. Enjoy this time of your life while you can.

Well if you do get an interview I hope you do a good job hiding that cocky attitude of yours.

Don't forget that there are an assload of very qualified pre-dents who will be graduating the year they apply. They will be competing for your spot.

Also, the people interviewing you and the others on the committee will look over your classes. I'm sure by now they are quite good at determining which courses are easy and which are difficult. It's always better to show you can do well in a difficult course. An A in a really easy course doesn't mean all too much if that's all you do.

I also don't see the appeal of rushing through college. Why would you want to get rid of a year of partying, long breaks, and not a terrible amount of work? It's great that you are so eager to start dentistry but you will have the rest of your life to do it. Enjoy this time of your life while you can.

Let him be delusional :laugh:

If even USC only takes people with degrees that says it all right there :laugh:

I don't have any issues. If you met me in real life, you'd think I was one of the most mature, good-looking, Classic All-American young men you'd ever talked to. I'm doing what I want to do, and I'll take any route to get there.

Did you read my post? I don't recall bragging on my intelligence; in fact, I believe I said that ass-kissing was what got me the A in the first place! Going into the final, I had around an 81 in the class. I made a high B on the final, and, because I spent a lot of time reviewing work in the professor's office and asking lots of questions on bizarro chemistry crap (to give him the impression that I'm actually interested in chemistry), he gave me an A in the class.

It's not genius, but it's doing what has to be done. And it doesn't matter if the guy is my great-uncle, because he has the last same name as me and is fairly well known (at least within the university system). Please understand -- I am just pulling out all the stops.

Hey,

The deal with the "easy A" situation is that I'm currently signed up to take English 2 with a teacher who is known for resfusing to give out As because of some crapped up philosophy. I just figured, since English 2 is practically supposed to be an easy A, why risk it?

I don't have any issues. If you met me in real life, you'd think I was one of the most mature, good-looking, Classic All-American young men you'd ever talked to. I'm doing what I want to do, and I'll take any route to get there.

Did you read my post? I don't recall bragging on my intelligence; in fact, I believe I said that ass-kissing was what got me the A in the first place! Going into the final, I had around an 81 in the class. I made a high B on the final, and, because I spent a lot of time reviewing work in the professor's office and asking lots of questions on bizarro chemistry crap (to give him the impression that I'm actually interested in chemistry), he gave me an A in the class.

"Saying" and "doing" are two seperate things. Just because you didn't "say" you were, doesn't mean that you were not "doing it."

Let me ask the other readers this question: was he bragging? Yes or no?

Oh, I don't deny bragging...I just deny bragging on my intelligence. For the record, I was actually bragging on the power of networking and how it has benefitted my pre-professional career thus far.

Oh, I don't deny bragging...I just deny bragging on my intelligence. For the record, I was actually bragging on the power of networking and how it has benefitted my pre-professional career thus far.

Buddy, you're a freshman, maybe a sophomore, who knows everything and is trying to cut as many corners as you can. You've taken 2 or 3 semestesr of college. You have no "pre-professional career" so far.

Well, the only pre-reqs I have left to take are Organic Chemistry 1/2 and Physics 1/2. I'm lucky (and thankful!) enough that I'll have an easy teacher for Organic 1 this semester. Get this: the tests are open notes, and the teacher allows students to ask each other questions during exams "as long as you understand what you are asking about." The best part is that, in lieu of a final exam., he assigns a "final project"; basically, this entails researching a bunch of organic compounds and making a cute "a-la-highschool" tri-board presentation. My university just hired this guy during the Fall 2006 semester. Every single student had an A in Organic 1, but I'm not sure about Organic 2.

The only negative is that the class is at 8 AM, M-W-F. :(

I guess my point is, after I ace the rest of my pre-reqs, it's easy cruisin' from here on out. Even if I don't get in when I apply next May, at least I'll be able to chill, chill, chill for my last two years of college.

Well, the only pre-reqs I have left to take are Organic Chemistry 1/2 and Physics 1/2. I'm lucky (and thankful!) enough that I'll have an easy teacher for Organic 1 this semester. Get this: the tests are open notes, and the teacher allows students to ask each other questions during exams "as long as you understand what you are asking about." The best part is that, in lieu of a final exam., he assigns a "final project"; basically, this entails researching a bunch of organic compounds and making a cute "a-la-highschool" tri-board presentation. My university just hired this guy during the Fall 2006 semester. Every single student had an A in Organic 1, but I'm not sure about Organic 2.

You are going to get destroyed on the DAT :laugh:

I'll be sure to scan and e-mail you a copy of my acceptance letter sometime in late 2008/early 2009. I think you have about as good a chance of getting into dental school -- at any point of your career -- as I do even needing to make a 30 on the DAT. Buddy. ;)

my great great great father was a knight and a crusader....:confused: you give them an answer, and they throw their genealogies at you.

Don't get me wrong, I will take an easy A anyday. Not like us, noble few, seek out the hard proffs. We just don't whine once we've gotten them.

Oh yea...since when is applying after your junior year classified as late??? Did I miss a memo here or something??:eek:

Cheers

Awesome! :thumbup: Good luck with the organic chem section of the DAT! (and biochemistry, and the Boards Part I biochem, etc.)

You may or may not get into dental school, but my sincere advice to you is to work hard and don't cut corners, just because you can.

I think what is going to kick my butt the hardest is going to be not having any extracurriculars. I guess the only thing to really do around my bumpkin university (short of volunteering) is start my own Pre-Dental club...

Undergrad is easy I agree. i am glad you are having fun and you have connections etc. General Chemistry is extremely easy, bragging about getting an A in general chem is crazy.... its more like you will have to be ashamed if you don't get an A in gen chem (by using your brain not kissing ass)....but anyways..lets said you do get into dental school, how are you going to pass any of your classes? do you even know that you DO have to study in dental school? lol... yes...dental school requires you to read and study and take all HARD classes at once (no shortcuts 32+hours a semester..not your usual easy 16-18 hours)!!! can you handle that?

I think what is going to kick my butt the hardest is going to be not having any extracurriculars. I guess the only thing to really do around my bumpkin university (short of volunteering) is start my own Pre-Dental club...

Wow.. Getting an A in gen chem easy>>?? I wish I went to your school... At mine we had 250 students and I think 3 had As last semester... then a couple of A-s(Me)... It was mostly Bs and Cs...

I am technically halfway done with my junior year and I am applying this round. However, I am also taking classes over the summer and by fall I will be a senior. I have only had 3.5 semesters of school thus far, but I am one of those crazy people that takes 20 credits a semester and does well. I have tons of ECs. More than most people will most likely have. I already took the DAT and did well. I am still scared that I won't get in.

Good Luck to everyone. It seems to me though, that getting into D school as of lately is more about having decent stats and then nailing your interview. Every school is now having amazing applicants but what seperates you the most from others is your personality in the interview. I know some schools account the interview to 30 or 40% of the application. Basically I think if you rush through you better hope you have a good interview and that you have a relatively easier in state school to attend. IE not UF :)

My 2 cents

3yr w/ degree is hard enough. It's obvious that if there were two people with same stats, the one with the degree is more qualified. Thus you'll have to be stellar enough to beat the other high GPA, high volunteer, extraordinary life, and with a degree. I'm not saying it can't be done. Shoot for it. But you will really have to shoot for perfection. Plus, having a degree is always good just in case.:)

Wow.. Getting an A in gen chem easy>>?? I wish I went to your school... At mine we had 250 students and I think 3 had As last semester... then a couple of A-s(Me)... It was mostly Bs and Cs...

I am technically halfway done with my junior year and I am applying this round. However, I am also taking classes over the summer and by fall I will be a senior. I have only had 3.5 semesters of school thus far, but I am one of those crazy people that takes 20 credits a semester and does well. I have tons of ECs. More than most people will most likely have. I already took the DAT and did well. I am still scared that I won't get in.

Good Luck to everyone. It seems to me though, that getting into D school as of lately is more about having decent stats and then nailing your interview. Every school is now having amazing applicants but what seperates you the most from others is your personality in the interview. I know some schools account the interview to 30 or 40% of the application. Basically I think if you rush through you better hope you have a good interview and that you have a relatively easier in state school to attend. IE not UF :)

My 2 cents

I'm just wondering, aren't you supposed to take around 20 credits for semester schools?? I've only been exposed to qtrs.

I am a chemistry major, so gen chemistry is very easy compare to all other chemistry classes you have to take.... i was only saiding that b/c the op was bragging about his grades and saiding that just b/c he has A in gen chem and good connections he is at an advantage over everyone else...lol...

My 2 cents

I am a chemistry major, so gen chemistry is very easy compare to all other chemistry classes you have to take.... i was only saiding that b/c the op was bragging about his grades and saiding that just b/c he has A in gen chem and good connections he is at an advantage over everyone else...lol...

Please answer my "yes/no" question posted earlier in this thread.

Please answer my "yes/no" question posted earlier in this thread.

Yes.

This dude is annoying me.

Yes I understand when you are in undergrad and you find out a teacher is going to be hard you try to steer clear of that professor, I know I did once or twice. But it were those teachers who challenged me really gave me a perspective on what I was learning. Students who dont go for a good challenge are the c**ky pr***ks who think they know it all and skated by. Sure i took the challenging classes do I brag about it no, because I have an appreciation for what I learned.

Bragging about how your O-Chem class is going to be cake because you can talk to other people during an exam is nice but you dont learn. You need to be able to develop your own concise thought process. What are you going to do if you get to dental school, ask your partner how to do a procedure because you relied upon someone else the whole time? It is true in science you work out your problems amongst your peers, but that doesn't solve the problem of developing a rational thought process of allowing yourself to think through the problem first.

Getting an A in gen chem can be done, but pulling off an A in O-Chem is a little harder, how well you do in Gen Chem has NO reflection on how you'll do in O-Chem. Some students do great in Gen chem but suck in O-Chem, and vice versa.

Enjoy College go out and party because you wont have as much time to enjoy it, if you get into dental school. Dont rush through life soo quickly I wish I was still at my undergrad, but I am not. Grad school is a lot different. and I am sure Dental School will be as well.
Dont comp out and take the easy route, it will only hurt you in the end. Why dont you go earn yourself an engineering degree and really work your butt off, besides if you dont get into dental school you will have something worth your time in undergrad.

You'll have to kiss some serious butt if you want to get in after 3 years.

Go Drink a Beer

yes/not? more like HELL YEAH!!
Henry, I hope you have "connections" to the person that grades the board exams b/c you will need that connection to make a 75%(passing) instead of 0%(the grade you actually obtained)

I guess my point is, after I ace the rest of my pre-reqs, it's easy cruisin' from here on out. Even if I don't get in when I apply next May, at least I'll be able to chill, chill, chill for my last two years of college.

Just curious -- do you go to Jim's Community College for the dumb?

You won't learn jack **** in a class like that, what a joke. Your school should be ashamed, and you will be obliterated on standarized exams by people like me who had to work their asses off in the 3rd ranked chemistry department in the world to get a B- average in chemistry.

HaHaHa. Your sad you will have a class at 8am. Get over it. most classes at dental school start at 8 am. get use to waking up early. this isn't a negative.

You need to go to a real college.

It's going to be hilarious when he tries to take the DAT. Hard courses ensure you learn the material. They challenge you; they teach you how to study. You're obviously not learning that, thus, you will choke on the DAT :)

I'm just wondering, aren't you supposed to take around 20 credits for semester schools?? I've only been exposed to qtrs.

No 12 is full time and 13-16 is avg. Normally if you want to take over 18credits you have to go and petition to get cleared to be able to. They look at your prior coursework and grades and determine if they think you will be able to do it or not.

SHC... I see what you mean now. Gen Chem is probably cake for a chem major :) For Chem Majors isn't there more calculus involved??

Don't D Schools take into account what school you went to>? Some schools (his) are easier to get good grades in without necessarily learning the material whereas More difficult schools (most of ours) you have to work your butt off for a B+ A-... ? Just a quick ?

i'm thinking troll...

It seems the DAT is the great equilizer for these poor souls. GPA can be very deceptive. The OP is going to have a very unpleasant surprise come D-day.

Do you have a shot at getting into dental school after 3 years of undergrad?

No. Unless you have family connections (and even then it is doubtful) it won't happen. Dentistry is just getting that much more competitive.

Even USC, one of the easiest schools to get into, 100% of students had degrees or morefor the last 2 years. Source: http://uscsd03.usc.edu/dental/admissions/applicant.htm (2nd last paragraph)

It's actually for the past 7 years. But I'll let it slide...reading may not be your strongest subject. :laugh:

:bow: :lol:

This is pathetic to say the least. And, to brag about it is hitting an all-time low. This isn't "networking" as you call it.

For the record, this is the website for my school: www.colstate.edu (Columbus State University).

I will have to think up something to do about Physics. The woman that teaches it during the year is a monster; she has an unbreakable "no As" policy, because she claims that no student can ever be perfect. In fact, in her spring semester course, the highest grade earned was a 79. My Biology teacher was telling me about how he's losing funding for his summer Biology program, because the students that would be involved with that are instead taking Physics 1 & 2 with the other teacher. That is the only downside about going to a smaller university...subjects like Chemistry, Physics, etc. typically are taught by only one or two teachers, and if those few teachers are hard, then you're just out of luck!

It's actually for the past 7 years. But I'll let it slide...reading may not be your strongest subject. :laugh:

A 25 on the reading section of the DAT says otherwise.

Maybe you didn't read my post, where I cleared cited the information from (2nd last paragraph). I pulled that info from a quick text search of the document, which the second last paragraph to the bottom makes no mention of 7 years. Either way, that proves my point further that it is very difficult to get into dental school without having completed a degree.

I didn't bother reading the whole article because I got into a far better school that is far cheaper than USC. I admit, USC was my backup school, and I did get accepted there, but turned it down the moment I had other options (later that day on Dec 1st). I don't need to concern myself reading additional details about what I consider to be an overpriced, second-rate dental school :laugh: