MD Do I still have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yeti12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Longtime lurker so decided to give this a whirl.

About me:
sGPA/cGPA~ 3.65 pretty good private school of roughly 10,000
GPA is low because I had a rough freshman year (C+ in gen chem and some B's) but I had did have an immediate family member pass and had 3.7+ since with difficult course load
MCAT: 514: 127, 128, 129, 130
Major: Cell Bio and Physiology with a humanity minor
White male
Midwest
Currently a senior

EC's/Volunteering:
2.5 years in micro/molecular/biochem lab--pub won't come until after I hopefully matriculate :/
Intro Lab teaching assistant
Tutor in Biology and chem for 2 years
D1 athlete with a couple all-conference honors (nothing insane)
100+ hours clinical in hospital volunteering
20 hours of shadowing (I know its not much...)
100+ hours non clinical hours (mostly stuff dealing with people with developmental or intellectual disabilities)
Worked for a summer in a very large hospital system doing non clinical things

I have been wait listed by one school (one of my top and interviewed way back in early September) and crickets from all the others. Any help would be great. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats and Ec's seem pretty cookie cutter for MD schools it's not too late in the MD cycle and you still have a decent shot it really just depends on what your school list looked like and how many schools you applied to.

You definitely have more than a shot.

But please tell me on what planet is a 3.65 GPA considered "low"? Vulcan?

While the ECs could and should be beefed up, I am highly impressed that you did so well academically while being a student-athlete. That will count for something. What sport??

I suggest the following:

U VM
USF Morsani (maybe)
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein (maybe)
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
Tulane
Loyola
Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.
Your state school(s).
Any DO program

Longtime lurker so decided to give this a whirl.

About me:
sGPA/cGPA~ 3.65 pretty good private school of roughly 10,000
GPA is low because I had a rough freshman year (C+ in gen chem and some B's) but I had did have an immediate family member pass and had 3.7+ since with difficult course load
MCAT: 514: 127, 128, 129, 130
Major: Cell Bio and Physiology with a humanity minor
White male
Midwest
Currently a senior

EC's/Volunteering:
2.5 years in micro/molecular/biochem lab--pub won't come until after I hopefully matriculate :/
Intro Lab teaching assistant
Tutor in Biology and chem for 2 years
D1 athlete with a couple all-conference honors (nothing insane)
100+ hours clinical in hospital volunteering
20 hours of shadowing (I know its not much...)
100+ hours non clinical hours (mostly stuff dealing with people with developmental or intellectual disabilities)
Worked for a summer in a very large hospital system doing non clinical things

I have been wait listed by one school (one of my top and interviewed way back in early September) and crickets from all the others. Any help would be great. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

What state?

Where all did you apply?

You gotta give us more if you want good input. There are many midwest states with state programs that give out IIs to a high proportion of in-staters for whom you would be a rather fine candidate for; if you didnt get an II from any of them if you are from one of those states, that in itself could be revealing and indicative of a greater problem in your app not necessairly listed here.

Last edited: