Do I still have a shot...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flabs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to get some input from this forum. I'm a 3rd year DO student, top quarter of my class (at one of the more well known schools), 3 years of research prior to school (6 publications, 2 first authors), interested in doing the IM/Heme/Onc track and staying in academics. Unfortunately, I didn't kill my boards....213. I'm particularly eyeing the following programs:
- UCI
- UC Davis
- OHSU

Anyway, wondering if I've got a chance still at any of these places. I do plan on doing some rotations at each of these institutes. Any ideas or input would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

any thoughts....?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I wanted to get some input from this forum. I'm a 3rd year DO student, top quarter of my class (at one of the more well known schools), 3 years of research prior to school (6 publications, 2 first authors), interested in doing the IM/Heme/Onc track and staying in academics. Unfortunately, I didn't kill my boards....213. I'm particularly eyeing the following programs:
- UCI
- UC Davis
- OHSU

Anyway, wondering if I've got a chance still at any of these places. I do plan on doing some rotations at each of these institutes. Any ideas or input would be great. Thanks.

As the above poster said, you always have a chance. However, it will be tough just based on your step 1 score, unless your publications are super duper. In my opinion, >230 most likely lands you an interview, 220-230 maybe an interview and <220 prob not. But not all is lost. You still have an entire year to impress on the wards. And you still have Step 2. Definitely aim for a higher step 2 score to improve your odds. Good luck!

As the above poster said, you always have a chance. However, it will be tough just based on your step 1 score, unless your publications are super duper. In my opinion, >230 most likely lands you an interview, 220-230 maybe an interview and <220 prob not. But not all is lost. You still have an entire year to impress on the wards. And you still have Step 2. Definitely aim for a higher step 2 score to improve your odds. Good luck!

I disagree with this regarding a <220 probably won't get you an interview.

To the OP, of course you still have a shot, but realistically, I think you need to broaden out a bit. And UCI tends to be a bit pernickity about who they interview and take for IM, so unless you fit their UCI mold, I'm dubious about that location for you.

Have you thought about Loma Linda? It's a strong IM program in SoCal - they have all of the medicine fellowships represented including Heme/Onc. I know they consider DO applicants.

From the magic 8 ball:

"Concentrate and ask again"....OK, I am in the zone...

"Signs point to yes"

In all seriousness, you've got a shot. Programs like to see research, especially academic ones.