Do I still have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudewitshirt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a 2nd semester sophomore and I've been a little worried about my grades. Could you tell me what you guys think or what I should do next to make me more competitive?

cumGPA:3.15
sciGPA: 3.09

Freshman Year:1st Semester
Honors Chem (Gen Chem smooshed into 1 semester): B-
Intro to Bio (Genetics, cells, evolution): B
Calc I: B+
Bio Lab: B+
Art History: A

2nd Semester
Writing Class : A-
Intro to Bio II (Diversity, Physiology, Ecology): A
Calc II: A
US History: A
Chem Lab: B+

Sophomore 1st Semester
Orgo I : C
Ecology: C-
Intro to Anthropology:B-
Physics I: C+
Physics Lab: B+

EC's
Secretary of a minority pre health club that focuses on healthcare disparities
Attended SMDEP, a summer program for pre med and pre dental students
An EMT-B serving with the local Fire Department (Does this count as clinical and shadowing??)

This year I am honestly expecting A's and A-'s in everything except orgo (hopefully it doesn't go below a B-). I completely bombed my first semester sophomore year but I think it was from taking way too many classes that year since that is also when I took my EMT classes which required 12+ hours each week coupled with the 4 science classes that I was taking at college.

So how am I looking? If it doesn't look good, please give some suggestions as to what I can do to improve myself if you can.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am a 2nd semester sophomore and I've been a little worried about my grades. Could you tell me what you guys think or what I should do next to make me more competitive?

cumGPA:3.15
sciGPA: 3.09

Freshman Year:1st Semester
Honors Chem (Gen Chem smooshed into 1 semester): B-
Intro to Bio (Genetics, cells, evolution): B
Calc I: B+
Bio Lab: B+
Art History: A

2nd Semester
Writing Class : A-
Intro to Bio II (Diversity, Physiology, Ecology): A
Calc II: A
US History: A
Chem Lab: B+

Sophomore 1st Semester
Orgo I : C
Ecology: C-
Intro to Anthropology:B-
Physics I: C+
Physics Lab: B+

EC's
Secretary of a minority pre health club that focuses on healthcare disparities
Attended SMDEP, a summer program for pre med and pre dental students
An EMT-B serving with the local Fire Department (Does this count as clinical and shadowing??)

This year I am honestly expecting A's and A-'s in everything except orgo (hopefully it doesn't go below a B-). I completely bombed my first semester sophomore year but I think it was from taking way too many classes that year since that is also when I took my EMT classes which required 12+ hours each week coupled with the 4 science classes that I was taking at college.

So how am I looking? If it doesn't look good, please give some suggestions as to what I can do to improve myself if you can.

Thank you!
You need to start getting A's, including in Orgo. If you don't, you will be well below average for MD and DO schools. EC's are less important than good grades, so focus on getting the A's and proving that you can consistently perform at that level.

You make getting As your number one priority and tone down the ECs for a few quarters, and you are going to be good for a shot in a year or so...after your grades come to a strong level for a few quarters, slowly put this ECs back up to a healthy load level

Members don't see this ad :)
It provides clinical patient experience, but not physician shadowing or clinical environment experience.

You could boost your application GPAs more quickly by retaking the grades below a C+, so as to invoke AACOMAS (DO) grade forgiveness.

Should I retake Orgo over the summer even if I get A's in all of my other classes?

So i just finished my 2nd orgo test.....it didn't go so well :(

Sophomore 2nd semester is looking like:
Orgo II: C
Intro to Theather: A-
Physics II lab: A-
Organic Chemistry Lab: A
Physics II: A-

I'm feeling terrible, I really felt like I worked hard but it just want enough to make up for my past idiotic screw ups ( I should've dropped Ecology when I had the chance)

So what can I do now? I'm dreading the fact that I may have to stay an extra year on school, but I'll do it if I have to. Is there anything else I can do? Maybe take summer classes or is it possible to salvage myself within the next few years

Is MD totally out of the question now? Or do I only have a shot at OD if I manage to pick up my grades

Hi guys this is my first time on the forum and I was curious,
I'm from Canada and I think the GPA system is different between the two countries.
I was curious as to what percentage would the 3.15 be? How does the conversion between the percentage, letters ABCD and gpa work? Thanks everyone this forum is really helpful.

Is MD totally out of the question now? Or do I only have a shot at OD if I manage to pick up my grades

Don't be silly. I wonder if you can simply retake the class next year. Regardless, I don't think ONE CLASS is going to kill your dream, not if you let it. I would try to retake the class, get the tutoring/extra help I need, and make sure I continue to take a variety of challenging science courses. That'll bring up the GPA and show that you are serious and capable.

Sorry I should be specific, I'm looking at how USA convert their own percentage to letter-grade system and gpa system. Not so much interested at Canada gpa converting to USA gpa.

Well it wasn't just orgo, the first post in my thread shows all my other grades.

What do you think?

Those Cs are going to hurt your chances for MD acceptances. You should definitely consider retaking them if your school allows you to do this. That should improve your chances at DO programs.

Unfortunately, med school admissions is a competitive, numbers-driven process. You can always take time to beef up ECs, but once you sink yourself with a mediocre GPA and a bunch of credits it becomes a tough hole to dig yourself out of. Get As from now on and you can demonstrate a strong, upward trend.

Would mentioning that I am a URM (half Columbian and Filipino) give me some slack for MD schools?

Would mentioning that I am a URM (half Columbian and Filipino) give me some slack for MD schools?

It's going to have some worth but it will be a moot point if you don't have an application worth reading. Honestly, I would take pre-req a semester at this point and then supplement that with an elective or science-sounding class and some fluff courses to raise your GPA. Then, take some pre-reqs in the summer so you can focus on them solely. I did this and will graduate on time and got accepted. Rome wasn't built in a day; balance and damage control are necessary in your situation.

Thanks for the response, I'm just worried that I already blew it.

I know that I still have two more years until I graduate, hopefully I can repair my GPA by then and apply during my senior year