• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Do I still have a shot?

Futbolfandango

Dec 20, 2012
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am currently applying for a one year MA Biology program and after that I plan on going on to DO or MD school. I am wondering what are my chances for each. I assume that I have a slightly higher chance of DO.

-Currently my GPA is 3.38 (hopefully will be higher after my last undergrad semester).
    -Volunteered with an on campus ambulance service for a few hundred hours (checked vitals, assisted crew chief with patient transport, etc.)
    -Worked as a patient transporter at local hospital during high school for 3 years
    -Plan on taking MCAT early summer (what would I need?)
    -Will hopefully have a MA in Biology after next year
    -Will have at least one semester of research experience

I will be applying fall 2013 for 2014 enrollment.

What are my chances? Am I competitive? Please be as brutally honest as possible and if you need more information, ask. Also, any ways of improving would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

eggs13

Lift Heavy, Get Tough
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    Believeland
    1. Medical Student
      What is your sGPA? With an MCAT in the high 20's you should be decently competitive for DO; however, I would suggest shadowing a DO (and getting some shadowing experience in general for MD or DO), as many DO schools like to see a letter of rec from a DO and/or experience with a DO. I would also look to add some non clinical and clinical volunteering as your HS patient transport experience likely wont carry much weight because it was in HS.

For MD, because your cGpa would be on the lower end for a lot of schools, I would aim for a 32+ at least and also work on the things mentioned above.

Good luck!

Futbolfandango

Dec 20, 2012
      1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
        What is your sGPA? With an MCAT in the high 20's you should be decently competitive for DO; however, I would suggest shadowing a DO (and getting some shadowing experience in general for MD or DO), as many DO schools like to see a letter of rec from a DO and/or experience with a DO. I would also look to add some non clinical and clinical volunteering as your HS patient transport experience likely wont carry much weight because it was in HS.

For MD, because your cGpa would be on the lower end for a lot of schools, I would aim for a 32+ at least and also work on the things mentioned above.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input! My biological sciences GPA is 3.39 whereas my chemistry, math and physics GPA is a 3.31. And yes, shadowing and volunteer work is definitely something I need to surround myself with this next semester and further on. To be more clear, my patient transport was during high school and carried on into college during school breaks. I don't know of that makes much of a difference. I am also part of two honors societies that I failed to mention above.

Is the SMP going to help my application out a good amount? (I'm not only doing it to get into med school).

Goro

Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Jun 11, 2010
        Somewhere west of St. Louis
        1. Non-Student
          MD programs, not really, but DO, without a doubt.

I am currently applying for a one year MA Biology program and after that I plan on going on to DO or MD school. I am wondering what are my chances for each. I assume that I have a slightly higher chance of DO.

-Currently my GPA is 3.38 (hopefully will be higher after my last undergrad semester).
          -Volunteered with an on campus ambulance service for a few hundred hours (checked vitals, assisted crew chief with patient transport, etc.)
          -Worked as a patient transporter at local hospital during high school for 3 years
          -Plan on taking MCAT early summer (what would I need?)
          -Will hopefully have a MA in Biology after next year
          -Will have at least one semester of research experience

I will be applying fall 2013 for 2014 enrollment.

What are my chances? Am I competitive? Please be as brutally honest as possible and if you need more information, ask. Also, any ways of improving would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.