Do I take the COMLEX and USMLE Step I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pa2do

pa2do
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my second year as a DO med student and soon enough those dreaded Step I's will be upon me. I have heard very conflicting pieces of advice about whether I should take both exams or not. One dean at my school advised me to take only the COMLEX step I and then come next year take both the COMLEX Step II and the USMLE step II. I am not the best standardized test taker either. Any advice would be great

Members don't see this ad.

This depends on many factors that you'll have to think alot about. First, do you plan on applying to allopathic residencies only, osteopathic residencies only, or both (lots of cons about picking this one IMHO, but that's a whole other issue). If you plan on applying to osteopathic residencies only then of course you only need the COMLEX. If you plan on applying to allopathic only or both, in my opinion you should take COMLEX & USMLE both Step 1 & Step 2. Now some will say... but allopathic residencies will accept the COMLEX, it's equivalent, blah, blah, blah... but in the "real" medical world there are still ALOT of people (higher up's that will be looking at your residency app) that do not know much about the COMLEX and do not want to put out the energy to figure out how it compares to the USMLE (which will be what most of the applicants will have taken if you're applying to allopathic residencies). In my opinion... why even risk that you may get your app into the hands of one of those people... why give anyone a reason not to consider you. Now, I don't think it's right that DO's are still dealing with this but it's reality, and we have to just deal with it. It doesn't take that much more effort to take both (it sucks, but it's doable), it's just a bit more money spent.

Oh, the thing about taking only COMLEX Step 1 & then both COMLEX & USMLE Step 2 is also a particular point that you will hear many opinions about. Again, only my opinion... just take both for both steps. Some programs look at Step 1 more and some look at Step 2 more (for those who have taken it by application time) so why take the chance. Just have them both for both steps and they'll have NO questions or concerns.

OK, hope that helped a bit. Gotta get back to it!

Any more questions.. let me know :D

~Bean

pa2do said:
I just started my second year as a DO med student and soon enough those dreaded Step I's will be upon me. I have heard very conflicting pieces of advice about whether I should take both exams or not. One dean at my school advised me to take only the COMLEX step I and then come next year take both the COMLEX Step II and the USMLE step II. I am not the best standardized test taker either. Any advice would be great

pa2do,
This is a matter of significant controversy. When the time comes, I would advise you to contact those allopathic programs in which you have interest and ask them directly if they do indeed accept the COMLEX. It is my understanding that there are a number of allopathic programs that do. This way you can get credible information right from the source and avoid any confusion you may experience by reading much of the mounds of conflicting rhetoric found on these forums. Best of luck to you!

medstud2 said:
pa2do,
This is a matter of significant controversy. When the time comes, I would advise you to contact those allopathic programs in which you have interest and ask them directly if they do indeed accept the COMLEX. It is my understanding that there are a number of allopathic programs that do. This way you can get credible information right from the source and avoid any confusion you may experience by reading much of the mounds of conflicting rhetoric found on these forums. Best of luck to you!

Not to add to the confusion, but word on SDN is that if you're applying for anything competitive (Ophthalmology, Rads, ENT, Derm, etc), its recommended that you take the USMLE as well as the COMLEX.

P.S.- When you call, make sure you get the name of the person you talked to. Common sense but could save alot of problems. G'luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone, I plan on applying to an internal medicine residency progrm. I hear that they are a little better in accepting the COMLEX. I don't plan on applying to a Johns Hopkins type program, but one that is reasonably competitive (university based) I also plan on applying to osteopathic and ACGME programs.

pa2do said:
Thanks everyone, I plan on applying to an internal medicine residency progrm. I hear that they are a little better in accepting the COMLEX. I don't plan on applying to a Johns Hopkins type program, but one that is reasonably competitive (university based) I also plan on applying to osteopathic and ACGME programs.
then you don't need to wast your $$ and time to take usmle. I know quite a few DOs who landed pretty decent MD IM university based programs w/o usmle. (they are in NJ, NY,CA,IN and MI)