Do I transfer out of my formal post-bacc to DIY? And will this hurt my Med school apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sodyjess

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm currently in my first semester of Loyola University Chicago's "formal" postbac program. I graduated with a BFA and a 3.7 GPA majoring in Fashion Design, I only took two science classes in undergrad so I'm doing ALL of my prereqs in this postbac program, which is why I chose it because it's for career-changers and they supposedly help with putting together a committee letter. Because of the Covid-19 situation I'm taking classes online (still paying full price :dead:) and am located at my family home in Colorado. Taking classes online has got me thinking and now I'm questioning if I made the right choice to do a formal postbacc.

I'm shelling out a good 14k so far for ONLY the summer semester, luckily I'm at home and don't have rent( because with this school work load Idk how I'm going to work on top of this). As far as academic difficulty, I'm taking Calc and Physics & physics lab and feel like I'm drowning but my grades have been steady, so I wouldn't be transferring to lift my GPA. I'm really just thinking would transferring to an in-state school (either CSU or CU Boulder) be worth it financially (in the end it would be over 11k for classes and 18k for rent ) and would it impact me academically?

Everything is up in the air as far as classes starting in the fall semester at Loyola, and even if they do open campus they want to do a big portion online. I low key feel like this is hurting my chances of developing relationships with professors and hopefully snagging a few research opportunities (also another reason why I chose Loyola). They aren't announcing if campus is open until Mid-July, but both CSU and CU plan on having classes this Fall Semester (I'd really like to do bio and chem lab in person). Loyola helps with putting together letters of rec, but that's about it since they leave the course schedule up to each student. I also am really really NOT a fan of my advisor, idk if this matters, but I think she'd be the one writing a letter for me in the end(?) If I transfer into a state school will med schools take note of this or are they really just looking at GPA and class completion?

Should I wait it out and see what they say about having "in person" classes, will med schools look at the formality of the post bacc as a deciding factor in acceptance at all? thanks in advance for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I'm currently in my first semester of Loyola University Chicago's "formal" postbac program. I graduated with a BFA and a 3.7 GPA majoring in Fashion Design, I only took two science classes in undergrad so I'm doing ALL of my prereqs in this postbac program, which is why I chose it because it's for career-changers and they supposedly help with putting together a committee letter. Because of the Covid-19 situation I'm taking classes online (still paying full price :dead:) and am located at my family home in Colorado. Taking classes online has got me thinking and now I'm questioning if I made the right choice to do a formal postbacc.

I'm shelling out a good 14k so far for ONLY the summer semester, luckily I'm at home and don't have rent( because with this school work load Idk how I'm going to work on top of this). As far as academic difficulty, I'm taking Calc and Physics & physics lab and feel like I'm drowning but my grades have been steady, so I wouldn't be transferring to lift my GPA. I'm really just thinking would transferring to an in-state school (either CSU or CU Boulder) be worth it financially (in the end it would be over 11k for classes and 18k for rent ) and would it impact me academically?

Everything is up in the air as far as classes starting in the fall semester at Loyola, and even if they do open campus they want to do a big portion online. I low key feel like this is hurting my chances of developing relationships with professors and hopefully snagging a few research opportunities (also another reason why I chose Loyola). They aren't announcing if campus is open until Mid-July, but both CSU and CU plan on having classes this Fall Semester (I'd really like to do bio and chem lab in person). Loyola helps with putting together letters of rec, but that's about it since they leave the course schedule up to each student. I also am really really NOT a fan of my advisor, idk if this matters, but I think she'd be the one writing a letter for me in the end(?) If I transfer into a state school will med schools take note of this or are they really just looking at GPA and class completion?

Should I wait it out and see what they say about having "in person" classes, will med schools look at the formality of the post bacc as a deciding factor in acceptance at all? thanks in advance for all your help!
It's fine to transfer out, and as long as you do well, no one will care

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just as an aside, when I applied this cycle I submitted transcripts from 7 schools and never had any questions about it. Do well in your classes, take the mcat seriously, and round out your ECs with clinical exposure, volunteering, and shadowing and you’ll be fine.

Just as an aside, when I applied this cycle I submitted transcripts from 7 schools and never had any questions about it. Do well in your classes, take the mcat seriously, and round out your ECs with clinical exposure, volunteering, and shadowing and you’ll be fine.

my mouth gapes at the "7" letter
wow

my mouth gapes at the "7" letter
wow

playas gon’ play.

Nah, but seriously I had four transcripts from undergrad, one grad transcript, and two postbac transcripts.

Reactions: 1 user