Do i want to be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zupneja

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bit of a confusion with myself. I have good marks, i ve always thought to myself that i want to be a doctor and it is what i want to do.
HOWEVER, you know how people have a passion about it? all they do and talk about is things that are related to their passion. I can't seem to find my passion. I also get a bit discouraged when i see all my friends partying and having fun during college (like youre supposed to have fun when youre young). I think about how long of a process it really is to be a full-fledged doctor and how you never get those years back. How do i get over this negativeness and keep going because i still do feel like it is what i want to do.

Thanks A lot

Members don't see this ad.

"Do I want to be a doctor?" is a fantastic personal question to ask yourself, one that anonymous people on an internet forum aren't really qualified to answer. There are sacrifices sure, but there are sacrifices in every aspect of life.
The question to ask yourself is if these sacrifices are worth it in the end (which we can't answer for you). FWIW you can still party and have fun in college as a premed.

Reactions: 1 user
i get that and i really do want to make the sacrifices and be a doctor. But any time i try to have fun or do something completely unrelated to my med school application, i feel like its working against me. Kinda feel like i always have to catch up to others as far as ECs and application strength goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's not for everyone but this is part of why I'm glad that I applied as a nontrad. I maintained good grades as an undergrad but was a lot less stressed than many of the traditional premeds I see on here. That isn't to say that you can't enjoy your time in college and still do well as a premed. But just throwing it out there that a gap year (or two) might be something to think about. It can relieve some of the stress of having to craft a stellar med school app before graduation.

i always have to catch up to others as far as ECs and application strength goes.
This process will drive you mad if you spend your time comparing yourself to others. There will always be someone who's doing more than you!

Reactions: 2 users
Learn the difference between work and play. If you can work hard enough, there's always time to play (except maybe for MS3's, from what I hear). Personally I know medicine is for me because I would probably feel inadequate for many years after undergrad if I didn't go to medical school. To each their own though.

Reactions: 1 users
i get that and i really do want to make the sacrifices and be a doctor. But any time i try to have fun or do something completely unrelated to my med school application, i feel like its working against me. Kinda feel like i always have to catch up to others as far as ECs and application strength goes.

I went out 2+ times a week for basically all of undergrad. that being said, I have good time management skills and was able to get good grades at the same time, but there's nothing wrong with having fun. If anything, med schools want to see that you have balance in your life (I've been asked what I do for fun and what I do for stress relief in interviews). There will always be someone with a stronger application than you but just make sure you're volunteering and getting good grades and you'll be fine. No reason to not enjoy your time in undergrad!

Bit of a confusion with myself. I have good marks, i ve always thought to myself that i want to be a doctor and it is what i want to do.
HOWEVER, you know how people have a passion about it? all they do and talk about is things that are related to their passion. I can't seem to find my passion. I also get a bit discouraged when i see all my friends partying and having fun during college (like youre supposed to have fun when youre young). I think about how long of a process it really is to be a full-fledged doctor and how you never get those years back. How do i get over this negativeness and keep going because i still do feel like it is what i want to do.

Thanks A lot
Volunteer at a hospital, and shadow. See what physicians do.

Personally I know medicine is for me because I would probably feel inadequate for many years after undergrad if I didn't go to medical school.

Meh. Feelings of inadequacy and the need to be a high achieving individual don't necessarily mean that medicine in particular is your calling. You can be successful and prominent through many different career paths. I am sure you have your reasons beyond what you've stated, but I just wanted to pick at that so don't take offense.

I went out 2+ times a week for basically all of undergrad. that being said, I have good time management skills and was able to get good grades at the same time, but there's nothing wrong with having fun. If anything, med schools want to see that you have balance in your life (I've been asked what I do for fun and what I do for stress relief in interviews). There will always be someone with a stronger application than you but just make sure you're volunteering and getting good grades and you'll be fine. No reason to not enjoy your time in undergrad!
when you say going out, do you mean clubbing and stuff all night or just hanging out a couple hours

Meh. Feelings of inadequacy and the need to be a high achieving individual don't necessarily mean that medicine in particular is your calling. You can be successful and prominent through many different career paths. I am sure you have your reasons beyond what you've stated, but I just wanted to pick at that so don't take offense.

Yeah, no, I re-read that and totally agree. I just meant that it would forever haunt me if I didn't work out. Luckily I'm in the clear for now lol.

when you say going out, do you mean clubbing and stuff all night or just hanging out a couple hours
I went to a top grade-deflating school and I went out every Friday and Saturday night (Wednesday too during senior year). I would go to bed by 4 and be up at 9 the next day. Really, you're not going to get anything significant done after 9pm on Friday nights, so it's easy to go out then

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks A lot

Most premeds that talk about being "passionate" are full of ish. There are very few who are truly passionate about their profession. You don't have to be in love with medicine to become a doctor, but the journey and profession should yield some sort of enjoyment or personal satisfaction. It's very silly to hear students talk about passion when they have no experience with the actual schooling or practice. I'm sure a lot of peoples' passions fade very quickly when they find out about the uglier sides of things.

If you learn how to become organized and how to effectively get all your work done, you'll have all the time in the world to go out in undergrad. I'm sure if you ask most current med students here they will tell you that they went out 3+ times a week, especially in their last years. Become even better at organization and discipline and you'll have time to go out in med school as well while handling a heavy curriculum.

C'mon kid, what does your heart tell you???

If you're undecided, go work with some patients.

Thanks A lot

I'm currently a senior and I go to the bars like 4 nights a week. When I was younger it was house parties like 2 times a week. But that's not the point, that happens to be my idea of fun but whatever yours is, do it and don't feel guilty about it as long as your grades and ECs are still doing well. Its totally doable if you budget your time well

Thanks A lot

Scribing is a great way to do this. Anyway you are goin to use EMRs after you become a physician, so it would be good to practice.

Nothing comes easy and sacrifices must be made. What really made me fall in love with medicine was shadowing a surgeon. It was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. Wasn't even the surgeries... My favorite part was seeing patients in the office! Highly suggest you shadow a physician ASAP!

As someone who has never met you and will likely never meet you, I can say with pretty good certainty that if really wanting to be a doctor was a 10 and not wanting to be a doctor was a fish taco, then you're currently a Donald Trump.

...i see all my friends partying and having fun during college (like youre supposed to have fun when youre young). I think about how long of a process it really is to be a full-fledged doctor and how you never get those years back...

First, there's no rule that says you need to be premed in college. Major in what you want, party it up, get good grades. Med school will still be there later. If you are worried about spending your twenties studying in the library and wards maybe you aren't ready for this and should come back to it later.

Second, many things I got to do in med school and residency were things only a tiny fraction of the world will ever experience. So I am not really looking at others to see what I am missing out on but wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of the reverse.

Figure out what is important to you. If you are worrying about losing your twenties, don't start down this road until you have used up your twenties. But I think medicine is not the right career for someone focused on other people's lives -- this is a field of hard work and delayed gratification and so frankly if you aren't able to keep your eyes focused on your own plate/goals, it won't be a pleasurable journey.

not if you want some kind of personal life or work life balance. this job is 24/7, both physically and mentally. no time for anything else. some ppl. can live like that, some can't. everyone is different. from the looks of it, if you are questioning work life balance already, you will likely burn or drop out.

Few (if any) things that are worth while come easy.

yep, that's the general rule in life indeed...but not really.

the better question is what do you think is worth while after all. everyone has different values. some things that are worth while do come easy such as spending time with friends and family if you value that over money and career status. and vice versa. it's a question about the value system you endorse.

i know career folks in all fields who took a long time to get there but aren't as happy as some generic folks i know and vice versa. time does not determine what is worth something. neither do degrees or wealth. you must be happy in how you live and the belief system you practice daily. yes this can be about job position or accomplishments or a combination such as spending time with family while simultaneously earning worldwide accolades. and of course, playing with your baby girl on her swing and enjoying her tea party. or maybe not. to each his own but please, don't let the amount of job training/time in grade or really anyone else tell you what is worth while. the instance of time is just an afterthought. first determine what you cherish. getting to that state could take a very short amount of time or decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

why do medical schools want to see you have balance in your life when this exact skill (if you can call it that) is the OPPOSITE of what is expected in med. school??? where is the logic in this? wow, this is bizarre.

They want to see that you have lived your life up until now before you sign the rest of it away.