Do I/You Really Want to be a Doctor??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady

Lady
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty discouraged right now. I don't like my school or its location too much, and first year has NOT been fun. I've even done poorly on one or two classes, and now I'm worried about not getting into a decent residency because of it. Do I really want to be a doctor? I can't answer yes to that right now. I'm almost ready to quit. Anyone been there?

Members don't see this ad.

lady said:
I'm pretty discouraged right now. I don't like my school or its location too much, and first year has not been fun. Do I really want to be a doctor? I can't answer yes to that right now. Anyone been there?
Come to the dark side...become a dentist. ;)

lady said:
I don't like my school or its location too much, and first year has not been fun.

If you remotely like one of your single classmates, marry one so you can live out your dream through him or remind yourself everyday that you should have stuck with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
lady, i will say this much. the 1st 2 years of med school are for book nerds. It is the 3rd, 4th and the rest of your medical career when you deal with patients that the rewards become more apparent. Sadly there are too many bookworms / tool bags with no interpersonal skills in med school.

lady, don't give up! First year does suck...I hated most of that stuff. Second year is much more interesting since you finally get to learn about things that are much more applicable to patients. I would much rather learn about diseases than memorizing some crappy biochem pathway any day. (And I was even a biochem major in college!) There are definitely times when school can get you down and make you question your decision...you just have to keep in mind those days when you think "WOW...this is so cool!" I remember the first time I held the brain in my hands in anatomy class and it just blew me away. Or when after you interview a patient and he looks at you and says that he can tell your going to make a great doctor. Those are the days you have to remember to keep you going...and just remember, school won't last forever, time has flown by for me....good luck and keep your head up! :luck:

You are definitely not alone. I hated first year so much. I often wondered if the torture was worth it. Med school is hard for some, but not everyone.

There are so many reasons why I hated first year. Some reasons being: med school is not very intellectual- I honestly believe this, it is more about how long can you sit on your arse and memorize every f'n detail thrown at you; med school can also be spiritually draining- you get pulled in every which direction by the expectations of your professors, deans, etc... Hating where you (locations-wise, etc...) are also doesn't help since med school in itself is overwhelming enough.

Things got better for me second semester of first year. I finally caved into the realization that, yes, I really do have to plant my butt in the chair and memorize all this crap until my head feels like it will split open. Same scenario second year. So, what I'm trying to get across to you is that you need to figure out WHY you're discouraged and somehow come to terms with it. I didn't feel better about school until I did just that. Even then, there were still times during second year where I really wondered why I was still dealing with this torture.

Second year is much harder than first year. BUT, it is more interesting and you've already been through boot camp (a.k.a. first year). So, you may actually enjoy second year more.

Lastly, keep in mind that you did not choose to go to med school to be a lifetime med student. After you are done with the first two years, you'll get a better glimpse as to what you really came to med school to do.

Cheer up and remember that you are not alone, actually there are probably plenty of people who feel just like you do in your own class. I've often found that it is quite interesting to see that so many felt like I did but were not quick to admit it (this is another topic in itself....).

I've been there and you can come drink w/ me in the dark hole called the bottom of the medical school class. My parents got divorced and are still getting divorced in the middle of my 1st semester and I ended up failing anatomy (nah...don't think my mom getting arrested had anything to do w/ it?). I failed the USMLE Step 1 too (sigh, but finally passed the mofo), but I just keep chugging along, don't worry about doing poorly. I'm sure your clinical years will shine and if you do crappy on Step 1, they say most residencies put more weight on Step 2 (er...not like I wanted to do research at Ivy league schools anyway). So cheer up and come drink w/ the other med school flounders.

I came in expecting hell, and found purgatory instead. Well, OK, it was hell, but not like I was expecting. So I think it's all about your viewpoint.

... either that or I'm a toolbox :laugh:

Pathos said:
I've been there and you can come drink w/ me in the dark hole called the bottom of the medical school class. My parents got divorced and are still getting divorced in the middle of my 1st semester and I ended up failing anatomy (nah...don't think my mom getting arrested had anything to do w/ it?). I failed the USMLE Step 1 too (sigh, but finally passed the mofo), but I just keep chugging along, don't worry about doing poorly. I'm sure your clinical years will shine and if you do crappy on Step 1, they say most residencies put more weight on Step 2 (er...not like I wanted to do research at Ivy league schools anyway). So cheer up and come drink w/ the other med school flounders.

A-freakin-men, Buddy. I am in the lower quarter of my class, if not for the same reasons as you. While I have never failed anything, because I have a wife, three kids, five dogs, and a life outside of medical school I early on decided that the making AOA was not worth the stress.

"Keep chugging along" is the best advice you can get. First and second year will pass. Honestly, nothing is as bad as the first six months of first year or as easy as the last six months of second year by which time you will have learned what to study and how to study drastically cutting your study time from forty hours per week to around ten.

Third year has been a breeze. Oh, there have been some difficult moments and some long hours but if you just show up and pay attention you will pass everything. Not to mention you learn a lot.

if I had to repeat the first 3 years of med school, hell no. 4th year is fine. Intern year blows. Rest of residency ain't a great deal better but tolerable.
Everyone is in denial that it all magically gets better and everything works out perfectly in the long run, but it doesn't and you aren't gonna be happy when you realize that.

I think most med students question their decision at some point during the first two years (okay, maybe daily for some). It's natural to wonder if you are doing the right thing, esp. when the first two years consist primarily of flat-out, boring-as-hell memorizing and regurgitation. Studying for Step 1 right now really makes me question it. But the bottom line for me is knowing that there isn't another profession i'd rather be in. Believe me, i tried to make a go of it doing other things, but nothing could hold my interest like medicine does. I'm aware of all of the issues involved in being a physician, and i'm not sure i could enthusiastically recommend the profession to someone else. But for me, it works.

I was dissapointed with second year, but i think that's mainly b/c i was told repeatedly about how 2nd year is better than first. True, definately, but not by as much as i built it up to be. I hear the 3rd and 4th are better than the first 2 so i am hoping that prediction carries a little more merit.

I guess the bottom line is that most people probably get discouraged and wonder what the hell they are doing in med school. Most end up graduating and just look back thankful that's it's finally over (i imagine, not having been there yet). But hopefully, the journey isn't that bad, and you'll have some great memories and a wealth of useful knowledge. And as others have pointed out, doing poorly in a class or on boards doesn't eliminate you from the game. Failing doesn't either. Plenty of med students struggle, most still become physicians at the end. First year grades especially don't count for as much at the end, unless they're good enough to get you into AOA.

I sincerely hope school gets better for you as you go on. Just know that you aren't the only one having these thoughts/feelings.

Sorry for rambling on and on. I am desperately trying to procrastinate my Step 1 studying!!

Yes, preclinical years can be a drag....

But before bailing out, think about what you want to do with your life. In the grand scheme of things (doctor vs. no doctor aside), what will your contribution to society be if you didn't continue on this path? 20 years from now, would you be satisfied bean-counting in an accounting firm or trying to sell some product so profits can be increased? Seriously consider the outcome before becoming disappointed with your MS1/MS2 years.

lady said:
I'm pretty discouraged right now. I don't like my school or its location too much, and first year has NOT been fun. I've even done poorly on one or two classes, and now I'm worried about not getting into a decent residency because of it. Do I really want to be a doctor? I can't answer yes to that right now. I'm almost ready to quit. Anyone been there?

First year is stupid as hell anyway. I nearly quit as well... but I stuck it out and when second year rolled around, I really enjoyed myself. Give it at least until next year and see if you enjoy learning about disease, drugs, etc.

hang in there!

years 1&2 are tough... but they don't really reflect what 3rd and 4th year is like. so stick with it if you can.

remember medicine is a 4-5 decade thing! and with that amount of time, you CAN fashion your life any which way if you so desire: family doctor in french polynesia? internist on park avenue? surgeon for the red cross?

First year sucks...especially if you weren't a bio major in college. Hang in there, stop checking your grades, and just start learning because you LOVE MEDICINE and you want to become the best doctor you can be. Your true test is when you are alone in a room with a patient and have to make a quick decision that could mean life or death to that person. Stop worrying about grades and just try to learn as much as you can. Someone just recommended this book to me...you might want to check it out too:
Debrah Shah...study skills and test taking strategies for medical students.

Med school sucks, there's no way around it. But each year gets better than the last. Would I do the 1st 3 years over again? No. But I'm glad I did them the first time. There were many times I questioned my decision, but every time I thought about what I want to do when I "grow up," the answer was always medicine. My backup plan was physics, and I love it, but I want to do medicine. Whenever people ask me for medical advice or I actually figure out what's wrong with a patient and can tell them there's a way to make it better (hey, it does happen 3rd year), I realize how much I want to do this.

Great posts, guys. I totally agree with daisy and panda. lady, just keep in mind why med school appealed to you the very first time you thought, "gee, maybe i want to become a doctor," and don't let anyone get you down. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I'll check that book out. I'm sure it couldn't hurt. Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. I needed it. Feel free to keep it coming. One more class to go until I'm outta here for the summer! Thank GOD!

Hang in there! You're almost done! :D

From reading these posts/threads, it seems to me that the Pass/Fail system was the best thing that ever happened to medical students. Would any of you have chosen to attend a Pass/Fail school now that you have a better idea of what its like?

First year can be real brutal just because it's something totally different... but hang in there.

Couple of coping tips for 2nd year:
1) Relax and don't put so much pressure on yourself. When you take exams, trust yourself that you prepped the best that you can.
2) Think back on your 1st year and ask yourself where did those questions come from? Did they come from the book readings or class notes? What do people expect you to know?
3) Try to enjoy yourself by making sure you socialize with friends, going out, exercising, seeing movies, exploring your new home. The location may suck, but I'm sure you can find a place in your town that you like.
4) Most important: Ask for help. If you're struggling academically, go to Academic Support and ask to get a tutor who has gone through your course and can help you along. Study individually, but with a buddy at the library or coffee shop so that you can ask questions as they arise. And don't forget, stop by Counseling Office if you're having a tough time non-academically... they're really good about talking about family issues, personal issues, being homesick, stress reduction, stuff like that. They can give you the right tools to help cope with being in med school.

To all that hate first and second year....check out my post under anesthesiology entitled "I think I hate it all". This is not to discourage the already discouraged, but I think it is worth thinking about, especially if you are questioning whether to push forward with medicine this early in your careers. I personally admire anyone who enters med school only to discover they don't want to do it, and then they drop out and find something better suited for themselves. It takes a lot of guts/balls/etc. to do that!

As for the remark that only bookworms like first/second year, I can tell you that it takes a lot more than good interpersonal skills to get through the second half of medical school. I personally am NOT a bookworm, but would rather keep my head in the book, at home, etc. than come in to the hospital and deal with the **** I have dished out to me. Not only do you have to work your ass off third year, but you still have to maintain the "bookworm" mind set...read, read, read!!! That's what it's all about, and if you don't you'll be found out and docked down for it.

On that note, good luck to all!