DO in Good IM Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nevertheless05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a beginning fourth year DO student, I am in the process of choosing IM programs in which to apply. I am in the top 10 in my class, scored a 248 on USMLE Step 1, have some research but no publications, strong 3rd year grades, and solid letters of rec.

Which, if any, strong University programs do I have a chance of getting an interview? From briefly checking 10 to 15 programs websites, there seem to be very few DOs at many academic institutions. Does anyone know any DO friendly University-based programs?

Members don't see this ad.

You are likely to get many interviews at univeristy programs. In new england, I would expect that BU, NEMC, Dartmouth, UVM, etc will all be very interested. BWH, BIDMC, MGH are always a bit random -- apply, and see what happens. Much depends on what school you are at, and how much experience the program has with your school.

I just finished a Chief residency year and have participated in the ranking process from the program's side.

University based residencies are looking for the best DO candidates but will not take very many of them. Though carefully picked, DO grads at our institution have been some of the best residents (and later faculty) that we've had. Your stats look quite good but a big criticism of Osteopathic schools is that many (not sure about yours) are community-based and therefore not a rigorous as the University setting.

Whether or not this is actually true, your odds will be significantly improved by arranging a visiting rotation to a big league hospital with regional or national reputation; get a letter from someone during that rotation who has a well-known name and can write something meaningful (hopefully towards the second half of the rotation when you've gotten your feet wet and can effectively pull your own weight in the new environment). Medicine ward sub-internships usually fill fast but many good and rigorous options (like ICUs and consult services) are often up for grabs. I used a similar strategy coming from a community/rural med allopathic school.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also very interested in this type of situation. Any feedback regarding my chances are greatly appreciated! (Especially from aProgDirector :D)

Similar USMLE Step 1 - 240/99; COMLEX Step 1 - 617/90.
Will have strong and generally excellent LoRs from Family, Cardio (CCU director), and GI. Unfortunately, IM wasn't a strong dept at my base hospital, but I'm very committed to IM and am quite sure it's the specialty for me. I have leadership experience running a free clinic, volunteering at several free clinics, basic science abstract presented nationally and published. Also, some current clinical research that may pan out very well.

I think I've shown myself to be committed to medicine and underserved populations (which is a huge focus for me), but I'm not sure about my chances at a school like UWash - Seattle, OHSU - Portland, UCSF - Fresno, and other university programs in the Pacific NW.
My goals for a career are in academic medicine, some research, but mostly teaching. While I love working at free clinics, I enjoy in-patient medicine and am very interested in critical care medicine as well.

I've scheduled my COMLEX Step 2 CE/PE exams, but I'm inclined to take the USMLE Step 2 CK as well. Partly I want to prove to myself that my first score was not a "fluke," but I don't want to run the risk of making a huge mistake.

Any and all advice would be great!

As posted above, an away rotation at an allopathic program is the best thing you can do. A Sub-I type rotation is best, and of course you'll be getting an LOR from this.

Step 2 CK is always a question. Review the websites for the programs in which you are interested to see if they accept COMLEX. If so, any score above 600 will usually do the trick. Interestingly, your USMLE score is much better than your COMLEX score -- so that might be a reason to do both. Some programs insist on USMLE - in that case Step 2 is a must for competitive allopathic programs (for DO's).

I think I've shown myself to be committed to medicine and underserved populations (which is a huge focus for me), but I'm not sure about my chances at a school like UWash - Seattle, OHSU - Portland, UCSF - Fresno, and other university programs in the Pacific NW.
As for UCSF fresno, having worked there, ther is no shortage of DO's in the IM program. Even though it technically is a university program, it is the most community like program you will see with a university's name in front of it.

since there is at least a financial limitation on the number of applications, what are the programs a DO should avoid wasting their effort in applying?

since there is at least a financial limitation on the number of applications, what are the programs a DO should avoid wasting their effort in applying?

look at the list of medical schools which their residents attended. if there are 0-1 do residents in the program, then don't apply. usually this information is available on the residency program website.

. . . I'm not sure about my chances at a school like UWash - Seattle, OHSU - Portland, UCSF - Fresno, and other university programs in the Pacific NW.

you do know that ucsf- fresno is not the main program, right? it's not of the same caliber as the main ucsf program or, for example, uw or ucla.

UWash - Seattle, OHSU - Portland, UCSF - Fresno, and other university programs in the Pacific NW

As mentioned above, UCSF-Frestucky is a far cry from UCSF. You probably also know that, aside from UW and OHSU, there are no other university programs in the NW. You won't find another one until you get to UCSF or Utah (or Hawaii I guess).

Also DO's at USC, UCLA olive view, one at UC davis, and UC Irvine

Yeah, OHSU and UWash are my top choices (tentative considering ERAS just opened and I haven't done my out-rotations). Unfortunately, aside from the UWash - Spokane program (also a top choice), there's not much out there in the Pacific NW.
I'm considering applying to UCSF (huge reach), and programs like University of Utah, Harbor-UCLA, UCSD, UNM, and a couple others.
I don't think UC Irvine/Davis or UCSF - Fresno really seem to be for me, for different reasons.
Thanks for the help guys!

Any advice on the need for USMLE Step 2? As above, I took Step 1 and scored 248. I feel as though I could achieve or exceed this again, but dropping $500 in combination with travel expenses for interviews makes me hesitant. However, I do not want to exclude myself from a program based entirely upon not having a USMLE Step 2 CK score.

Any advice on the need for USMLE Step 2? As above, I took Step 1 and scored 248. I feel as though I could achieve or exceed this again, but dropping $500 in combination with travel expenses for interviews makes me hesitant. However, I do not want to exclude myself from a program based entirely upon not having a USMLE Step 2 CK score.

take it and rock it. it will help your application. what is $500 when you have $150,000 of loans?