DO in michigan- comlex and usmle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedwannabe12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a second year DO student in MI considering ob/gyn. I am only interested in historically AOA programs. I am wondering what your thoughts on the importance of USMLE. So far, I am averaging about 40th percentile on COMQUEST and UWORLD. I started prepping three weeks ago. I will be taking comlex end of June. I really don't want to take the USMLE. Is this a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am a second year DO student in MI considering ob/gyn. I am only interested in historically AOA programs. I am wondering what your thoughts on the importance of USMLE. So far, I am averaging about 40th percentile on COMQUEST and UWORLD. I started prepping three weeks ago. I will be taking comlex end of June. I really don't want to take the USMLE. Is this a bad idea?
What was your preclinical GPA??

What was your preclinical GPA??

I have an 84% total. I struggled in basic science, barely passed. Systems were much better. I know USMLE has more emphasis on biochem and genetics, which makes me hesitant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would check with the programs you plan on applying to and see what their requirements are. If they say they prefer or require you to take USMLE then you have your answer. I always recommend that students take USMLE as I had many colleagues change their mind or find out during third year that a program they were applying to for residency required it and its much more difficult to relearn the basic sciences during third year while on clinical. USMLE is a much better exam than COMLEX, so preparing for it would only help your comlex performance.

Reactions: 1 user