Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

DO in the Job Market

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by kaj, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. kaj

kaj 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I know that DOs can go on to do MD residencies and basically earn the same salary as MDs. Everything is essentially the same after med/DO school except for prestige right?

My question is, is it harder to GET a job as a DO? Are hospitals/clinics less likely to hire you? I was thinking of doing DO school, then orthopedic surgery residency, and eventually working for a hospital. Is that an improbable pathway?

Any advice is welcome!
    Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sobored

sobored 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Much much more important where you train for residency.

4. mke520

mke520 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    it's not an impossible pathway at all! lots of DO students go into orthopedic surgery residency every year and practice in all sorts of settings. the only thing that will be hard is to get into a "prestigious" orthopedic residency or getting a job at one of those institutions as well. other than that it's pretty much free game.

5. TheWeeIceMan

TheWeeIceMan And like that... *poof*... he's gone. 7+ Year Member

Getting into ortho as a DO is going to be tough (for the record, it's tough for MDs too). However, being a DO will not hinder you once you complete training. Residency program matters much more.

About the ads