DO in the Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that DOs can go on to do MD residencies and basically earn the same salary as MDs. Everything is essentially the same after med/DO school except for prestige right?

My question is, is it harder to GET a job as a DO? Are hospitals/clinics less likely to hire you? I was thinking of doing DO school, then orthopedic surgery residency, and eventually working for a hospital. Is that an improbable pathway?

Any advice is welcome!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Much much more important where you train for residency.

it's not an impossible pathway at all! lots of DO students go into orthopedic surgery residency every year and practice in all sorts of settings. the only thing that will be hard is to get into a "prestigious" orthopedic residency or getting a job at one of those institutions as well. other than that it's pretty much free game.

Getting into ortho as a DO is going to be tough (for the record, it's tough for MDs too). However, being a DO will not hinder you once you complete training. Residency program matters much more.