Do independent study course grades count in AMCAS GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

full

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if independent study course grades count in your AMCAS GPA?

An independent study course is one where you have a supervisor, but there is no class you attend. You just meet with your supervisor and he gives you a project.

For example, if you do undergraduate research ( 199 course) and take it and take it for a grade, will it count in the AMCAS GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

yup, just list them under the department that you completed your research. I did. So, if it's psychology or biology, list it there.

It's usually a nice way to build your GPA

SpiritiualDuck said:
yup, just list them under the department that you completed your research. I did. So, if it's psychology or biology, list it there.

Hell yeah it is!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
at my school most ppl get b's in the honors projects. it screws up their gpa like majorly. because these are the kids who get mostly As. im scared about doing one. lol 3.0 =big hurt on the GPA, since it biochem itll be big hurt for my sci gpa

On a similar note, how do classes that were taken for only for credit (no letter grades) figure into your AMCAS GPA? I did an indep. study for credit, as well as some phys activity classes. At my school, they're not figured into your GPA at all. Same for AMCAS, I hope?

Also, what about a class that is currently in progress for which no grade was assigned? Does that also not go into your calculated GPA?

*bump*

anyone?

SpiritiualDuck said:

you can't put psych research under BCPM can you?

seth03 said:
you can't put psych research under BCPM can you?

I believe you CAN put psych research under BCPM if you think your psych research has more to do with "science" than social science (e.g. you're offered credit through psych dept, but your research is in the neurosciences)

;)

And I don't think non-letter grades (i.e. p/np) figure into your AMCAS gpa.