Do international students apply for a green card upon graduating from a US dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MurphyCats

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming D1 and I'm an international student myself.

What is the usual process for international students, the ones who got a DDS/DMD degree from US dental schools, to start practicing?

Do you apply for a green card right away? Is there anyone who graduated from a US dental school as an international student want to share what you did in order to practice in the States?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your current visa status and future Employer.

Depends on your current visa status and future Employer.
I think most international students would be on F1 because that's the student VISA.
Do you have to be employed by someone? I think a lot of new graduates would want to open up their own dental clinic. That's also what I'm wishing to do. Is it not what they usually do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most international students would be on F1 because that's the student VISA.
Do you have to be employed by someone? I think a lot of new graduates would want to open up their own dental clinic. That's also what I'm wishing to do. Is it not what they usually do?
Having a US dental degree is not enough to receive the residency in the country. There are ways to obtain it, which you can find out on the US citizenship and immigration website

Yes, you've to be employed by someone. F1 is the most common visa status an international student studies DDS/DMD in the US. After graduating, students on F1 visa receive 12 months OPT where they start working for an employer and file H1B is it falls in FY.
As a new graduate, it is great and totally up to the individual to open a clinic but being in the US on a VISA it is risky as the current immigration rules are favoring USC.
Usually, I've seen DDS graduates working for an employer- file their H1B- think of opening a new business (but VISA regulations are not favorable)

Reactions: 1 user
Having a US dental degree is not enough to receive the residency in the country. There are ways to obtain it, which you can find out on the US citizenship and immigration website
I wish Dentistry is included in the STEM category. I heard a while ago ADA/ADEA requesting a petition for DDS/DMD to be included in the STEM. Then graduates are eligible for 36 months OPT.