Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DO international

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by realruby2000, Jun 30, 2001.

1. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member

Does anyone know if the D.O. degree is recognized outside the US? If for example I wanted to move to the middle east and practice over there, would my D.O. degree be recognized as a medical degree? What about other countries?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JS-UNMC

JS-UNMC Senior Member

Hey there Ruby! Every country is different as to whether they recognize DO as equivalent to MD. I know that in Great Brittain, a DO is only allowed to practice OMM. In Israel, I believe that DO is recognized as equivalent.

4. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Contact AACOM for more details.... See your post at the pre-osteopathic forum.... someone gave you an email address.

I can second what jsdmu has stated....

5. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair

Last year I found a web site set up by a student at KCOM who was researching for a presentation. This website included a chart that listed the status of privileges in practically every country, including many third world countries. I didn't retain the link, unfortunately, and was unable to locate it again using Google. If memory serves, this list was rather disheartening in that DOs do not enjoy the unlimitied practice rights we do in the US. Most countries place DOs on the level, or slightly above, of chiropractors. In some countries, DOs are not allowed to practice at all, and in most, they require the presence and supervision of an MD, as does a nurse practicioner. This is changing, however, as DOs relocate to other countries and effect change. In Australia, for example, a DO has won special permission to practice unlimited medicine. If he is successful, this may open the door for future DOs. This kind of determination is what makes Osteopathic Medicine a special opportunity. How would you like to be the one who brings OM to a country, revered by that entire country for your contribution? This is the only field of medicine that enables you to be a true pioneer!