DO internships & residency feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kindredspirit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to get a thread started with feedback on the various DO internships and residencies. Unfortunately, there isn't enough written in the residency listings section of this site. Most of the feedback is provided on the ACGME accredited programs.

If you are currently doing a traditional rotating internship or one of the many AOA accredited residencies, please give a quick run-down on your program. Please include pros and cons of program, location details, program director and attending personalities, type of hospital ie: size, community or county hospital, services that you rotate in, call schedule, cap on # of admits, level of supervision, how good the teaching is etc.

This would really be helpful considering that this year's AOA match was at its lowest. I'd personally love to know some of the better programs and the ones to avoid!!!
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Anne of Green Gabels,

You might have better luck with this thread by posting in the general residency forum.

EDIT: It appears I stand to be corrected. My bad. :oops:

kindredspirit said:
This would really be helpful considering that this year's AOA match was at its lowest.

What do you mean at its lowest?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is a good place for it. We don't need Allopaths commenting on AOA residencies. I don't see how that will be helpful

BMW-

Redneck said:
Anne of Green Gabels,

You might have better luck with this thread by posting in the general residency forum.

I think this is a great idea. There is like, no information out there and you have to research it all yourself. There is scutwork.com, but the % of programs represented is low, too.

Opinions are subjective, too, but if one could provide hard reasons why a place is awesome or terrible, then that is helpful.

Besides, it will be like QA for the programs. If they saw what people are saying maybe they could improve things if necessary.

Another idea is to have a direct link in this thread to scutwork.com....

I have been looking for a while to find information like this so I think it is a great idea, now if only someone would post the information...

Hahahaha....the big problem here is the lack of anonymity. It needs to be like scutwork or the interview feedback section of this site. I think AMSA also has residency reviews.

How about this:

ALL RESIDENTS AND FORMER RESIDENTS PLEASE GO TO SCUTWORK AND REVIEW YOUR PROGRAM FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL US DO STUDENTS. THANKS!!! :love:

(nicedream) said:
Hahahaha....the big problem here is the lack of anonymity. It needs to be like scutwork or the interview feedback section of this site. I think AMSA also has residency reviews.

How about this:

ALL RESIDENTS AND FORMER RESIDENTS PLEASE GO TO SCUTWORK AND REVIEW YOUR PROGRAM FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL US DO STUDENTS. THANKS!!! :love:

Yeah, I agree with you guys. We should put the word out on the street for people to post interview feedback and medical student/intern/resident comments on scutwork.com specifically because of the annonimity issue. Personally, I am in a very malignant traditional rotating internship yet I am not willing to post any details here because I don't want it to to be attached to me. I can tell you though that the program is the absolute PITTS!!! I'll take my own advice and go post my comments and experiences on scutwork.

Any ideas on how we can get others to do the same thing?

(nicedream) said:
What do you mean at its lowest?

If you take a look at how many DO programs/specialties had spots that were open after this year's match...this amount was at its highest ever. Meaning, the AOA accredited positions are less desireable at this point for some reason. There are less DO graduates taking these positions. Longterm it's not so great because if programs fail to fill their spots, the programs will cease to exist. No students, no program.

For some graduating medical students it may be good b/c it means less competition. For others however, it probably translates to something deeper which is that the over-all quality of the education at AOA accredited institutions perhaps is less than at allopathic programs???

Take a look at how many spots were available after this year's match...
http://www.do-online.osteotech.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_match06res#AR

Probably because for a specialty like surgery they just put it in as T, since you have to do the internship year.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Probably because for a specialty like surgery they just put it in as T, since you have to do the internship year.

Perhaps...while the internships and primary care slots are obviously going unfilled, I'd like to see if the same is true for the more coveted spots. I'm guessing not.

Lots of Ob/Gyn spots. I wish I knew what all these things meant. I see some S's, but there aren't enough of them for that to be surgery. There can't be only 4 or 5 DO surgery residencies.

there are about 60 AOA approved surgical sites. THat does not include dually accredited sites.

Buckeye(OH) said:
there are about 60 AOA approved surgical sites. THat does not include dually accredited sites.

DO online only lists 39 programs and none of them are dually accredited. Some havnt taken residents in years. If these other sites exist how do you get information on them?

Basically that list (the one showing unfilled slots) is pretty worthless because nobody understands what it is and is not showing - just like most of the AOA's materials.

If they want people to pursue their programs, maybe they should supply some information on them and make some respectable websites.

I noticed that there were about 6 EM programs left off there. Any reason? Does that mean they were filled or gone?!

B-

(nicedream) said:
Basically that list (the one showing unfilled slots) is pretty worthless because nobody understands what it is and is not showing - just like most of the AOA's materials.

If they want people to pursue their programs, maybe they should supply some information on them and make some respectable websites.

BMW19 said:
I noticed that there were about 6 EM programs left off there. Any reason? Does that mean they were filled or gone?!

B-

Like I said, unless you specifically find a program on there that you're looking for, I think it's worthless. I don't know why tons aren't listed. Don't think you can learn anything from it regarding unlisted programs.

Yeah, that thing seems pretty worthless unless you have no where to go and are looking for anything anywhere.