DO interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barbjs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you are applying to both DO schools and MD schools, how do you reply when your interviewer at your DO school asks why you applied to both?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I would say that I wanted to keep my options open to see where I would get in, and then, make a decision about where I would attend from there. I was never asked this qustion but I think that is what I would say.

One of my interviewers asked me that then one of the other interviewers answered it for me by saying...who wouldn't if they wanted to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
tell the truth. back it up. don't blink.

I got asked that in one of my interviews and I said the exact thing Boris said...I told them that I really wanted to be a doctor and since medical school is so difficult to get into, applying to both MD and DO schools would increase my chances of being accepted. They seemed to accept that answer and didn't give me any trouble because of it.

Thanks so much. Those are good suggestions. I am actually asking for a couple of my friends who are applying. They asked me but I only applied DO. I will pass the info along.

my reply was that i wanted to be a doctor to treat patients and that the acrynms that follow my name are secondary to that. I would attend where i feel i will get the best medical education possible. I wouldn't go MD just for the md title just as i wouldn't go DO just for the do title. If this institution can take me where i want to go--i'll accept the offer to attend. Usually at this point in the interview they start selling the school to you-- that is a sweet, sweet moment!!!

I was asked that question in my interview, also. I think that honesty and a reasonable backing as to why (w/o getting on a soapbox) should be good enough. As some of the other posters have said, the interviewers should know that admission to any med school is a competitive process. I think that keeping the options open is a good reason.