DO Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paq314

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on how to get prepared for two DO interviews I have coming up in Jan. They are at UHS-COM and OSU-COM. These will be my first medical school interviews and I want to know what kind of questions should I be prepared for that have stumped students in the past. Any type of general interviewing advice would be of great help also. Thanks everyone.

paq

Members don't see this ad.

There is a website that I believe is called interview.com that is a great resource for interview infromation. I think it has most if not all DO schools and it is just a compilation of all kinds of interview tips including the hardest or most unusual questions asked at each institution. If that isn't the right address it is easy to find on pre-med web pages usually.

I'm not sure if there's an interview.com, but I've been on interviewfeedback.com. It's a great site! Good luck!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
paq314,

I would, AT A MINIMUM, know something about the osteopathic philosophy, its history, who A.T. Still was etc..etc..

I was asked a couple of questions of this type when I interviewed at UHS and at TCOM.

Also, be ready to explain why you are chosing osteopathic medicine, why would you want to come to 'our school' etc.. There will be other questions and topics that will be no different from interviewing at any other medical school. (osteopathic or allopathic)

Whatever you do, don't make up some bull****, grandiose story about anything! Interviewers can smell a snow-job a mile away! If they ask you something regarding some sort of hypothetical clinical situation, and you don't have a clue, then tell them that you don't or tell them that you are going to need a little more information before you can answer the question. The ability to realize that YOU DON'T KNOW enough with the information that you currently have, admitting that, and then trying to obtain more information instead of just "punting" is a trait that they are probably looking for in a good student doctor!

Last but most...don't worry! The interviewers aren't there to hang you up by your heels! Getting an interview is a big portion of the acceptance process. They (the admissions comittee members) have already seen and scrutinized your application and qualifications to the nth degree! In the interview they want to see that you can communicate intelligently and effectively. Obviously, as physicians, communication will be a BIG part of our job. So don't worry, relax, go into the interview and be friendly, courteous, and by all means...be yourself!

Good luck and have a great New Year!

bDOc03
MS-1, UHS

Hey, I'm back again.

I forgot a really good source for interview questions (and answers!): "Get Into Medical School" by Iserson. Probably around 20-30 bucks; definitely worth it, as there are a few sections in the book that give you many questions you may be asked (and answers/analyses of them) and questions to ask the interviewers. It was a great resource for me...

-Paul