Do interviews hold the same weight as they did in previous years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physiogirl2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was fortunate enough to receive my first II the other day. In previous years, I know that an II held a good amount of weight and it meant the school was serious about you. Is this any different this year due to the new traffic rules? This may seem like a silly question, but I am a little confused what these new traffic rules entail in terms of acceptances and distribution of II.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all!

I was fortunate enough to receive my first II the other day. In previous years, I know that an II held a good amount of weight and it meant the school was serious about you. Is this any different this year due to the new traffic rules? This may seem like a silly question, but I am a little confused what these new traffic rules entail in terms of acceptances and distribution of II.

Your avatar picture is very appropriate! ;)

Don't over-think it as it will have no bearing on what you can and should do. Rock the interview to the best of your ability and accept the offer (non-binding on you) unless you hate the school.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Just under half of matriculants get a single offer of acceptance and of those half had a single interview so
100% applicant pool
60% get rejected
10% get single interview, single acceptance
10% get multiple interviews, multiple acceptances
20% get multiple interviews, multiple acceptances

Any statistics on how many applicants get interviews but no acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any statistics on how many applicants get interviews but no acceptances?
At my school, we interview ~500
Accept ~ 350
Seat ~100

Of those 150 who don't get an immediate accept, the vast majority are wait listed. Very few people are rejected outright. That actually takes some talent.

A general rule of thumb, based upon comments from multiple Adcom members here on SDN (which include students who do interviews) is that med schools accept about 2-3x the number of seats they have available.

The typical MD schools will get anywhere from 5-15000 apps, so looking at two random schools, Case and Drexel, we see:
Case: seats 217, IIs 1300.
Drexel: seats: 256; IIs 1300

So, ballpark that some 50% of interviewees do NOT get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone! This is my top choice school (SO blessed it was my first II) so I will prepare and give my very best!

Reactions: 2 users