Do intro-level classes satisfy pre-reqs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omj123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a post-bacc, non-trad student going back to school to do my prereqs for applying to med school.

I'm ok with Chem, i.e., I'll be doing Organic Chem this fall as I've just completed Gen Chem but I'm a bit confused about Bio and Physics.

From what I've read, I need a year of Bio and Physics... with labs... in order to apply.

If they are a year long and include a lab, are the most basic Bio 100 and Physics 100 classes sufficient to satisfy the pre-reqs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
O

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, so long as you're taking the intro classes intended for science majors and not the ones for non-science majors.

Members don't see this ad :)
They should be fine as long as they are the intro-level classes for science majors and not remedial classes or classes for nursing majors or something else.

Do you have a premed advisor at the school that you can ask for clarification?

Definitely not no. Most intro classes will satisfy your requirements. But do make sure with an advisor. Most advisors at a large university will know the answer to that, not necessarily a pre-med advisor.

I started off college as a business major and had a change of heart towards the end of my sophomore year. I had already taken Bio 100 and Physical Science 100, which were just general ed classes since I was to this point a non-science major. Yes, I did have to "backtrack" and take the freshman versions of these classes for science majors. And with good reason--those GenEd classes will not come even close to preparing you for MCAT success.

However, the general non-science major classes did count towards my science GPA.

it really depends on the college...

at my college there was intro to bio and general bio... only general bio would be accepted b/c it's for science majors