DO is Chair of Pitt PM&R Dept.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The chief resident of Pitt's Emergency Med. department is also a DO...Dr. Michael Allswede, who went to UHS. Yeah boyee...

the director of the em residency at maricopa, az( a top allopathic program) is a DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Found a couple in PM&R:

Darren Rosenberg, DO received his D.O. degree from the New England College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed his PM&R residency at the Johns Hopkins University/Sinai Hospital in Maryland. Dr. Rosenberg is a staff physiatrist at the Spaulding Neighborhood Rehabilitation Center in Framingham

Sara Salles, DO earned her medical degree from the University of Health Sciences-College of Osteopathic Medicine, Upon completing her residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the University of Kentucky she served on the staff of the Shriners Hospital for Children and Veteran Affairs Medical Center in Lexington Kentucky. Dr. Salles was Director of Osteopathic Medical Education at the University of Kentucky where she was also appointed Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Dr. Salles is a staff attending on the Stroke service at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.

Oh great, another one of these threads. :laugh:

How long do think we have until a DO's name is rostered in Johns Hopkins' neurological surgery department?

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008

Lets see I graduate in 3 years, so if we carry the 1... and divide by 2.... man this is tough, oh well time to cross Neurosurg off my list. :)

Cowboy DO said:
Lets see I graduate in 3 years, so if we carry the 1... and divide by 2.... man this is tough, oh well time to cross Neurosurg off my list. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That is funny

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008

do you guys measure success by how many DOs are in positions at allopathic programs? I mean don't you think this is a bit insecure? I get the feeling you are saying "See we are just as good as them, we have people in their hospitals in prominent positions" By saying this you are making the measure of accomplishment is success at allopathic hospitals. Which implies that osteopathic hospitals are inferior because nobody beats their chest and yells out "Yeah! I am on staff at Pontiac osteopathic!"

Members don't see this ad :)
BigBopper said:
do you guys measure success by how many DOs are in positions at allopathic programs? I mean don't you think this is a bit insecure? I get the feeling you are saying "See we are just as good as them, we have people in their hospitals in prominent positions" By saying this you are making the measure of accomplishment is success at allopathic hospitals. Which implies that osteopathic hospitals are inferior because nobody beats their chest and yells out "Yeah! I am on staff at Pontiac osteopathic!"

The voting on this issue has been done with the feet as the vast majority of graduates of Osteopathic institutions go to Allopathic institutions for their residencies already. Most hospitals are Allopathic and most employ both MDs and DOs. It is not us versus them it is us and them.

The point is that Osteopathic physicians also hold positions of power at major academic and social organizations.

BigBopper said:

The reason people like to share this information is because our profession is constantly being attacked by pre-meds on this board with their heads up their distal colons. I'm sure the folks who have contributed to this list are just trying to share some of the places where DO's have positions of power in order to display that, yes, you can succeed in academic medicine as a DO. There is nothing wrong with this and it, IMHO, no reason to be attacked.

BTW, for those who didn't see the earlier thread, here is Harvard's take on OMM.

skypilot said:
The voting on this issue has been done with the feet as the vast majority of graduates of Osteopathic institutions go to Allopathic institutions for their residencies already. Most hospitals are Allopathic and most employ both MDs and DOs. It is not us versus them it is us and them.

The point is that Osteopathic physicians also hold positions of power at major academic and social organizations.

So what you are saying is that allopathic hospitals offer better training, they have more presitge and being in one is considered a position of power. I am not sure what that says about osteopathic hospitals and the training they offer, but it doesn't sound like very much.

turkdlit said:
The chief resident of Pitt's Emergency Med. department is also a DO...Dr. Michael Allswede, who went to UHS. Yeah boyee...
Why does everyone seem so surprised that DO's are actually getting good positions??

It should be expected.

BigBopper said:
So what you are saying is that allopathic hospitals offer better training, they have more presitge and being in one is considered a position of power. I am not sure what that says about osteopathic hospitals and the training they offer, but it doesn't sound like very much.

Unfortunately, I think this may often be the case. It all depends on where the hospital is located. I think that the idea of a purely "allopathic" or "osteopathic" hospital is becoming a thing of the past. But ACGME residencies are often in much busier/larger academic institutions while AOA residencies tend to be a little smaller. I think it all depends on what you are after. Ultimately, the student makes or breaks his own residency and all we are talking about is the strength of it's reputation. I still sense some sourness to the tone of your post, so I'm wondering what your opinion of DO's is. If you are just here to bash us, I'm sorry I wasted my time, but if you are here for open discussion then I welcome your comments.

cmudan said:
Why does everyone seem so surprised that DO's are actually getting good positions??

It should be expected.

I'm never surprised, I'm always glad to hear about it.

cmudan said:

It should be expected.

I'm never suprised anymore. In fact I totally expect it. I think it is people just trying to break other premeds sterotypes that cause threads like this to be reborn. Its a sense of bringing security to an insecure modality.

WannabeDO said:
Unfortunately, I think this may often be the case. It all depends on where the hospital is located. I think that the idea of a purely "allopathic" or "osteopathic" hospital is becoming a thing of the past. But ACGME residencies are often in much busier/larger academic institutions while AOA residencies tend to be a little smaller. I think it all depends on what you are after. Ultimately, the student makes or breaks his own residency and all we are talking about is the strength of it's reputation. I still sense some sourness to the tone of your post, so I'm wondering what your opinion of DO's is. If you are just here to bash us, I'm sorry I wasted my time, but if you are here for open discussion then I welcome your comments.

I am not here to bash.

This is a completely serious question: So if Most DOs are doing allopathic residencies and residency is where you learn to become a "doctor", then is there really any point in having 2 seperate degrees at this time?

BigBopper said:
I am not here to bash.

This is a completely serious question: So if Most DOs are doing allopathic residencies and residency is where you learn to become a "doctor", then is there really any point in having 2 seperate degrees at this time?

I would argue that the foundations for becoming a good physician will be layed when a student is in medical school. At least this is the attempt at our school. We will bring a unique set of skills to any residency. I personally wouldn't want to do a residency at a hospital where my OMM is not welcome. OMM is a large part of why I wanted to become an Osteopathic Physician. Many others just want to become physicians and don't really care about their license. Hopefully, someday the degrees will just become a remnant of history like DDS and DMD, and everyone will learn all of the skills that they want in order to best treat their patients.

Robz said:
I'm never suprised anymore. In fact I totally expect it. I think it is people just trying to break other premeds sterotypes that cause threads like this to be reborn. Its a sense of bringing security to an insecure modality.

well said. :thumbup:

BigBopper said:
I am not here to bash.

Yeah, dentists do it (DDS and DMD), so why can't we?

PublicHealth said:
Yeah, dentists do it (DDS and DMD), so why can't we?
yeah I never quite understood that....

Dentists don't really have two separate degrees. It's the same degree just different names. Whereas DO and MD technically aren't the "same degree".

For those DO students who think they should merge, just keep in mind that if they did you probably wouldn't be in med school right now.

JKDMed said:
For those DO students who think they should merge, just keep in mind that if they did you probably wouldn't be in med school right now.

I don't think I agree with this statement at all. There are plenty of people that would be admitted and have been admitted to both DO/MD programs and are inclined for the DO path due to multiple factors.

People like adapt and myself.

I haven't been through school yet so i can't answer the merge question totally yet...but merging is an intresting thought or at least having one medical governing body is another interesting though also.

Robz said:
I don't think I agree with this statement at all. There are plenty of people that would be admitted and have been admitted to both DO/MD programs and are inclined for the DO path due to multiple factors.

People like adapt and myself.
Yep and I think with every year passing there will be more applicants that follow suit.

As for the merging, I don't think it would happen any time soon because the old school DOs won't let it happen.

BigBopper said:
So what you are saying is that allopathic hospitals offer better training, they have more prestige and being in one is considered a position of power. I am not sure what that says about osteopathic hospitals and the training they offer, but it doesn't sound like very much.

The examples given were University of Pittsburgh, Harvard and Surgeon General of the Army. These are obviously prestigious appointments for any physician whether they are a graduate of Michigan State college of Allopathic medicine or Philladelphia college of Osteopathic medicine.

I didn't see anyone giving examples of D.O.s working in Gardner Community Hospital or Lawrence Memorial Community hospital which are also Allopathic hospitals but less prestigious than an appointment as a professor at Kirksville College of Osteopathic medicine.

:)

BigBopper said:

We arnt taling about your average allopathic institution. Its no big deal to see DO's at your typical state university program. We are talking about JHU, harvard, Upenn...ect where if you get into, even as an MD, it shows you've done an outsdanding job.

Edit:...Just read the post above me, sorry to sound like a broken record.

BigBopper said:

I have heard from some DOs that attaining a residency in an allopathic institution may indeed offer a somewhat better education in SOME instances simply because there is usually more research dollars going into those institutions, which equals better facilities and equipment, which equals more research publications, which equals better name recognition, which equals more patients, which ultimately equals more experience by the last year of the program.

I'm not really sure though and, infact, I'm quite dizzy after trying to add all of this stuff up, so I'm going to bed now.... :sleep:

All I do know is that I am proud to be a future DO and will take the residency that; a) accepts me :eek:, b) can offer the most experience during my tenure at the program :cool: and c) did I say the one that accepts me :scared: ?

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008

kpax18 said:
"Jon W. Fong, D.O.
Since July 1998, Dr. Fong has served as a technical advisor for NBC?s ER. In this capacity, he orchestrates every medical procedure on the show and trains the actors to realistically mimic performing medical procedures and discuss medical topics."

So why no DO's on the show?
"

(nicedream) said:
"Jon W. Fong, D.O.
Since July 1998, Dr. Fong has served as a technical advisor for NBC?s ER. In this capacity, he orchestrates every medical procedure on the show and trains the actors to realistically mimic performing medical procedures and discuss medical topics."

So why no DO's on the show?
"

There was a thread about this in the past. Dr. Fong is an alum of WUHS and was giving a talk to some current students. Someone asked him this question, and his response was essentially that they didn't really want to make an issue about what degrees the doctors had on the show. Statistically, at least one of the doctors passing through the show over the years would have had to be a DO, but we wouldn't have noticed unless someone was bashing them.

Oh and Dr. Ross-Lee on that page is Diana Ross's sister.

On the subject of the DO and MD degrees merging, haven't you heard? LECOM and OUCOM have started granting MD degrees. OUCOM, however, wants to keep its osteopathic roots and has divided into two schools. The Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine will continue granting the DO degree while the Ohio University School of Osteopathic Medicine will now grant the MD degree. LECOM will only grant the MD degree.

Check it out!

http://www.fairviewhospital.org/education/surgery/roster.php

Shinken said:
On the subject of the DO and MD degrees merging, haven't you heard? LECOM and OUCOM have started granting MD degrees. OUCOM, however, wants to keep its osteopathic roots and has divided into two schools. The Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine will continue granting the DO degree while the Ohio University School of Osteopathic Medicine will now grant the MD degree. LECOM will only grant the MD degree.

Check it out!

Mission

The mission of the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine and School of Pharmacy is to prepare students to become osteopathic physicians and pharmacy practitioners through programs of excellence in education, research, clinical care, and community service to enhance the quality of life through improved health for all humanity.
Educational Goals

The primary goal of LECOM is to educate students to become physicians practicing within the osteopathic concept. A secondary goal of the College is to educate and develop primary care physicians who will practice in the osteopathic tradition. The College imparts to its students a firm academic background enabling them to pursue advanced training in other fields of osteopathic medicine as well as primary care. The College encourages its students to participate in research to further advance their chosen profession.

I think those are typos. I don't think those residents have MD degrees. It would be pretty big news if those schools were going to switch degrees.

According to a news release from the AOA, the degree switch is a very recent decision, and those students that have already graduated have the option to have their degrees retroactively changed to "MD". According to the same AOA statement, the switch is being done slowly and quietly for several reasons: (1) the general public doesn't know what a DO is, so the AOA doesn't want to confuse people further and (2) there could be an uproar from the more conservative osteopathic community. Mum's the word.

Just yesterday I received a letter from OUCOM (the school I'll be attending this year). The letterhead had "Ohio University School and College of Osteopathic Medicine" and was a very carefully worded letter from the Director of Admissions explaining the split and the dual degrees. We have to make a choice as to which branch we want to attend (the School or the College). As an incentive for people not to switch to the MD portion of Ohio University, the College (the one that grants the DO degree) is offering lower tuition than the MD portion. And if we make the decision before June 15th, we get an autographed photo of A.T. Still (you know, the one where he's sitting with his legs crossed staring at a femur).

An autographed photo of A.T. Still??? I'm sure he was just sitting around one day signing a whole bunch of portraits. What are they thinking?

Shinken said:

Check it out!

The same thing apparently happened at UCI family med residency, I had a thread on it a while ago. But the 2 DOs that had their MDs were switched back to DOs, guess they really wanted the autographed photo of AT Still ;)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=114842

kpax18 said:
The same thing apparently happened at UCI family med residency, I had a thread on it a while ago. But the 2 DOs that had their MDs were switched back to DOs, guess they really wanted the autographed photo of AT Still ;)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=114842

I'm glad some people actually knew I was kidding...

I hope the AOA doesn't sue me for the sudden onslaught of phone calls asking about the switch to the MD degree (and the autographed A.T.Still photos).

4 DO's as teaching faculty in the UCLA/UCR joint biomedical program. Why is everybody so sur :laugh: prised???

Shinken said:
According to a news release from the AOA, the degree switch is a very recent decision, and those students that have already graduated have the option to have their degrees retroactively changed to "MD". According to the same AOA statement, the switch is being done slowly and quietly for several reasons: (1) the general public doesn't know what a DO is, so the AOA doesn't want to confuse people further and (2) there could be an uproar from the more conservative osteopathic community. Mum's the word.

Just yesterday I received a letter from OUCOM (the school I'll be attending this year). The letterhead had "Ohio University School and College of Osteopathic Medicine" and was a very carefully worded letter from the Director of Admissions explaining the split and the dual degrees. We have to make a choice as to which branch we want to attend (the School or the College). As an incentive for people not to switch to the MD portion of Ohio University, the College (the one that grants the DO degree) is offering lower tuition than the MD portion. And if we make the decision before June 15th, we get an autographed photo of A.T. Still (you know, the one where he's sitting with his legs crossed staring at a femur).

So is OUCOM now clasiffied as an allo school as well? Or are they just offering a degree name change.

danwsu said:
So is OUCOM now clasiffied as an allo school as well? Or are they just offering a degree name change.
he was joking

I apologize for the confusion but yes, I was most definitely joking.

I've seen residency web pages with DO/MD mistakes on them, but that one was too much. It was just begging to be used for a joke.