DO letter of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhopeful82

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finally shadowing a DO tomorrow! It took me months to find one to agree to let me come. There are very few DO's practicing in Memphis and none responded to me at all, but I found one in Jackson, TN that seems very nice and willing to let me come whenever I would like.

How early is too early to ask for a letter of rec? I can't take off very many days from work and Its a 3 hour round trip drive just to get to his clinic. I've seen several posts saying the DO LOR doesn't have to be "strong" you just have to have one. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask at either the end of the day, or the shadowing process, which ever is longer. I trust that you'll ask the doctor where he went to school? Also ask him if he'd recommend that school for you. His answer will be very telling.

Key thing to ask: "Can you write me a good LOR for my app to DO schools?"

How early is too early to ask for a letter of rec? I can't take off very many days from work and Its a 3 hour round trip drive just to get to his clinic. I've seen several posts saying the DO LOR doesn't have to be "strong" you just have to have one. Is that true?[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I was just making sure it wasn't frowned upon to ask for a letter after only meeting him one or two times!

Was in the same position as you working full-time. I'm about an hour drive from Memphis as well so I understand how hard it is to find a DO around here!

Anyway, I shadowed a DO for two days and he offered to write a letter before I even had a chance to ask of he would be willing to!

I would suggest asking questions and expressing genuine interest while shadowing so when you ask he/she will be more than happy to help you out. I don't see why asking after 2 to 3 days would be a problem.