DO letter of rec.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by wheels, May 27, 2000.

1. wheels

wheels Junior Member

Anybody have a good way to get one of these? I don't know any DOs personally and, as we know, these letters are either "strongly recommended" or downright required by DO osteopathic schools. My advisor says to just pick up the yellow pages and call one out of the blue to set up a shadowing opportunity. I'd like to hear how this went from some more people. I say 'more' b/c the topic has been covered a bit in this forum. Thanks in advance.

Wheels

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wheels

wheels Junior Member

OOPS! That one sentence comes from, as Stuart Scott says, the Department of Redundancy Department.

Wheels

4. Liquid_Tension

Liquid_Tension Senior Member

Dude........just find a DO, and arrange some time to meet with him/her. Bring your college transcript, and your personal statement, and allow him/her to explain to you what osteopathy is all about. Then tell him about yourself, and they will write you a recommendation....If they say no, then find another one who will. Most should be cool about this. Later dude,
    -Your most chilly Liquid

5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Locate a copy of the Directory of Osteopathic Physicians. Find your state. Find your town or one nearest to you. Locate a D.O. Write them a very professional letter and ask to meet with them or even shadow them. Worked for me.
    Sounds easy, but I wrote 6 letters and got one response.
    But now that I have met with this physician, he is introducing me to many of his colleagues.

"A foot in the door is better than a hand in the window."

[ AIDS is terminal. Education is the key to prevention. ]

------------------
    Josh Hazelton
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
    "D.O. Wannabe"

6. DJ

DJ Member

wheels,

Your advisor is right about flipping through the Yellow Pages. That's what I did. For me, #15 is the charm. Just be prepared for some rejections from D.O.s. I would probably want to do more than what Liquid_Tension had suggested- like actually shadowing the physician once a week for at least 6 months. The purpose is to get a first hand experience on what osteopathic physicians do, isn't it?

7. aecuenca

aecuenca Senior Member

One more thing i'd like to add...

I would know a few of the basics about osteopathy before meeting with a D.O. One of the D.O.'s at the Center where i volunteer at interviewed a potential volunteer and he asked "what is osteopathy?". He was given a website address and shown the way out.

Do some of the homework...and personally I think it's better to shadow a D.O for a few months than meeting with him/her once or twice, especially one that incorporates manipulation into their practice.

good luck on your search!

Arnold
    WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004
    http://members.xoom.com/omasucsd/logo.htm